Are Your Favorite Restaurants Being Shut Down? Who Is To Blame?

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day.

It really is hard to create an App. that can accurately tell strangers the best mom&pop restaurant in an area they are not familiar with, b/c locals kind of want to keep that information secret. And that, is generally how meta data makes those apps. work.

This is really the type of info. that younger folks want, but can't get.

I generally type "Top 10 rated restaurants in [location]" with the search engine, and find exactly what the app would be looking for.
You can even add words like Mexican, Thai, steak, soul food or catfish if you want to narrow the search and include even more mom and pop options. :21:

That's the same around here.

The mom & pop places are never threatened.

They stay in business until the proprietors sell or they retire. It is the chains that are always struggling.

Chains are very successful in tourist locations like Florida. People travel there, since they are in a hotel they can't cook for themselves, so they look for someplace they are familiar with.
I have travelled through most of the country

In the northeast and many urban areas you find many ethnic and mom and pop options

In rural areas, locals seem to prefer the chain restaurants

You don't know shit about what locals prefer in rural areas.

They stay in business until the proprietors sell or they retire. It is the chains that are always struggling.

Chains are very successful in tourist locations like Florida. People travel there, since they are in a hotel they can't cook for themselves, so they look for someplace they are familiar with.

In the northeast and many urban areas you find many ethnic and mom and pop options

What is it.........Denny’s or Waffle House?

Waffle House is one of my guilty pleasures. I feel like I'm taking my life into my hands when I eat there, but that food is tasty! All that grease and fat. They are one of the few places that makes bacon just the way I like it.

Waffle House is one of my guilty pleasures. I feel like I'm taking my life into my hands when I eat there, but that food is tasty! All that grease and fat. They are one of the few places that makes bacon just the way I like it.

Waffle House rocks! best hash browns on the planet.

In rural areas around here, the chances of finding a chain restaurant are next to non-existent. :21:
But as an example, while travelling around lunch time near Sherman, TX, I used the "Top 10" method to find a Mexican restaurant and found Camino Viejo.

It was a small (12 tables maybe) Mexican restaurant downtown on the corner of a building. We walked in and there were three Hispanic men between the ages of 30-40, sitting at separate tables, and I grinned as I knew we had found the right place. There was one waitress, and one chef (he was actually wearing a deep olive green chef's uniform) in the kitchen (you could see the entire kitchen from the dining room). The place smelled right, looked right, and the menu had an unbelievable number of options. Chip were hand made, salsa was freshly prepared, the items we ordered tasted like we had ordered them from a fine restaurant in Playa del Carmen. Each meal was about $10 and they couldn't have done it any better.

After fixing our meal and cleaning up what he used in the kitchen, the chef walked out, grabbed a Coke out of the fridge, sat down at a table and started reading the newspaper. When he glanced our way one time, he just nodded and smiled, because he already knew it was all good.

It was not only good food, but a place and experience I will remember for a long time. If I ever go through Sherman again, I know where I'll be eating dinner. The question is whether or not I decide to go to Sherman, just to eat dinner there if nothing else.

Last edited:
The only chains that are worth it are Outback and, for breakfast, IHOP. Otherwise, it's mom-and-pop's.

The only chains that are worth it are Outback and, for breakfast, IHOP. Otherwise, it's mom-and-pop's.

Au contraire.

Taco Bell offers the finest in Mexican cuisine, Olive Garden and Godfathers are fantastic for Italian delicacies. Bojangles serves exquisite chicken in the south.

Outback might be my least favorite of the all, they make the worst steaks. I would rather eat a stake burrito at Taco Bell than go to Outback

I wouldn't care if every single chain in the OP video closed, except Arby's . :iyfyus.jpg:

Without chains, Florida turns into a vast swamp. It's all there is.

That is way so many people think, but so not true. Spent a week at Ponte Verda beach this past August and ate like kings and never once looked at a chain!

The Reef on South Ponte Verda Beach was simply amazing, if you are ever in that area I would recommend it 100%.

Au contraire.

Taco Bell offers the finest in Mexican cuisine, Olive Garden and Godfathers are fantastic for Italian delicacies. Bojangles serves exquisite chicken in the south.

I'm sorry, but none of those beat coming off the rice fields, after killing ducks along the flyway in Northern Arkansas, and stopping by The Hurley House Café in Hazen for lunch.

I've been in some really bad mom and pops.

I took the kids to Olive Garden after school shopping and they had an absolute blast and we pigged out. The food and the ambience were exactly appropriate.

There's also a little chain called Pig 'N Pancake here on the coast....it's a great family place when you're vacationing on the Oregon Coast.

I wouldn't care if every single chain in the OP video closed, except Arby's . :iyfyus.jpg:

That is way so many people think, but so not true. Spent a week at Ponte Verda beach this past August and ate like kings and never once looked at a chain!

The Reef on South Ponte Verda Beach was simply amazing, if you are ever in that area I would recommend it 100%.

I have to be paid to even set foot in Florida. Heavily.

I have to be paid to even set foot in Florida. Heavily.

It is a nice place to vacation, especially since my daughter now lives there and her brother wants to follow her when he graduates.

I could care less if all those chains failed to exist tomorrow, except maybe sub-way. Applebee's and Outback have always sucked, B'dub's food has always been mediocre, it was just a place to hangout drink, and watch a game with a crowd of friends.

We spend time on Anna Maria island now mostly, and still go to the seafood markets in the morning to get the afternoon meal, cook it at the condo inside or out.

Bojangles serves exquisite chicken in the south.

Bojangles doesn't serve fried okra, so they ought to be shot for pretending to be a southern fried chicken restaurant anyway (out of principle alone). :21:
It's like if you go to a fried catfish restaurant claiming to be southern and they don't have pinto beans on the menu, or green tomatoes on the table, call them a liar.
If they don't have Tabasco sauce if and when you ask for it, just get in your truck and leave.

Last edited:
1766448_orig.png

Pig 'N Pancake

Maybe they’re closing down because the food sucks.

Not everyone sucks. The ones mentioned in the vid were favorite chains. They were successful. The change has to do with millennials' spending habits and restaurant choices. Some don't fit their preferences, but many are closing because they're not spending money to go out and eat at good places.

Perhaps their definition of "good places" is different than yours.

I'm going by the numbers and the types of restaurants. It could be that a few went bad, but the breadth of the restaurants mean something else. It sounds generational, so I looked into why the millennials weren't eating out more. They were carrying high student loan debts and hadn't got a job after graduation for some time. Events from the Obama years. They also use Instagram more and you had to serve good looking food or it wouldn't generate excitement, reposts and word of mouth. I suppose this is true. I was looking up a steakhouse on yelp just now after seeing it rated on buzzfeed video. What bothered me was people commenting they gave it low ratings because their meat was served cold. That would be a turnoff for a high priced steak. These were probably older diners like me. I had to look at the photos; You take your chances with a mixed review. The millenials are eating more healthy, so steakhouses aren't their type of restaurant. I can understand that. We're talking about iHop, Denny's and other eateries that are found practically everywhere and have served one generation to another.

"This is a trend in the USA, not so much the wealthier other nations."

What other nations have an overbuilt segment of corporate owned, cookie-cutter restaurants like the USA does?

Look at the research on how often people dine out. It is still high. It is just that people want more than a fern bar with a cheesy menu.

I meant the trend of restaurants being closed due to millennials avoiding them is strictly based in the US. C'mon, if you've traveled to Europe, Asia, Canada, Russia, Australia, etc., then you found popular chains. I even looked up Mexico and they have popular chains.

Where do I get the research for millennials? I don't see them going to a fern bar, but they may eat fern if it's on the menu ha ha.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back