Are these guys nuts, or the Sons of the Eastern Pilots?

gop_jeff said:
Mr. P, did you fly for the airlines? Just curious. My dad has been a Continental employee since the 1984 strike - he crossed the picket lines for nearly two years.
I crossed the line with Eastern...Hired and then they took their last breath before I started..I have NO problem crossing that line. But to answer your "?" Jeff, no, I never flowen for an Airline, and honestly looking back I know I'd have been bored as hell if I had.

Mr. P said:
I crossed the line with Eastern...Hired and then they took their last breath before I started..I have NO problem crossing that line. But to answer your "?" Jeff, no, I never flowen for an Airline, and honestly looking back I know I'd have been bored as hell if I had.

Yeah, one of my dad's best friends was an Eastern pilot. It amazes me to think that an organization like ALPA, that supposedly exists to "organize for the greater good," refuses to do something for the greater good of their employer, especially when they know that striking will kill the airline.

My dad just retired, and he is still somewhat nervous about his pension. So Delta folding would be good news for the rest of the industry - an industry that is sinking under the weight of pilot, flight attendant, and mechanic unions.

gop_jeff said:
Yeah, one of my dad's best friends was an Eastern pilot. It amazes me to think that an organization like ALPA, that supposedly exists to "organize for the greater good," refuses to do something for the greater good of their employer, especially when they know that striking will kill the airline.

My dad just retired, and he is still somewhat nervous about his pension. So Delta folding would be good news for the rest of the industry - an industry that is sinking under the weight of pilot, flight attendant, and mechanic unions.
I knew guys at Eastern too. I also know some at Continental, United, American and US Air. I’ll bet your Dad knows some of the same folks, small world, aviation is.

Deregulation has taken 20+ years to shake out the dinosaurs, I think it’s about done. Things change.

gop_jeff said:
Mr. P, did you fly for the airlines? Just curious. My dad has been a Continental employee since the 1984 strike - he crossed the picket lines for nearly two years.

I have 3 brothers that are Captains on 737s for Continental. Only 1 really likes what he does. The other 2 started with instructing then corporate. . . they hated that too. They would have to take plane loads of drunk hunters to west Texas. They would load the guns, then the ammo but always the booze was the most valued.

My oldest has been with them since 78 and is now the number 1 seniority on the 73s out of Houston which is Continental's base. My youngest brother made the mistake of bidding for 757 Captain and it looks like he will start training on it but he will lose his place and go to being back on reserve. The oldest with all of the seniority flies 10 days out of the month and still whines.

They are all insecure about the shape of the airlines right now.

Forum List

Back