Parenting Begins before Birth

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
On Sunday The Indianapolis Star began a series of articles on parenting
which will continue throughout this week. If interested, you can read the articles by going to indystar.com and clicking on the section "Indiana Living".

20 Questions to Consider before Starting A Family
from The Indianapolis Star
November 13, 2005

Who will get up to comfort and feed your crying baby during the night?

Who will take on the primary responsibility of disciplining your children?

Will your parenting style be similar to any of your parents', or someone else's?

Do you believe children should be raised to fear and respect their elders and authority?

Will you strive to be your children's friend more than being a parental figure?

Have you ever said, "I want to give my kids everything I never had growing up?" If so, what was lacking in your childhood?

Do you want your children to have all the latest toys and games?

How do you feel about spanking a child?

Do you and your partner plan on being strict disciplinarians?

What priorities in life will you try to impress upon your children?

How would you discipline your child for a minor offense? What do you consider a minor offense?

How would you describe a moderate and a serious offense and the corresponding disciplinary actions that you would take?

How do you describe the differences between discipline and child abuse?

Will you alter your TV viewing habits or language once you have children?

Will you, your spouse and your children sleep in the same bed? If so, until your children reach what age?

Do you believe girls and boys should be raised differently? If so, how?

How much time do you plan on spending assisting your children with their schoolwork?

How important is it to you to teach manners to your children?

How will you show your children affection?

How would you feel about you or your spouse having a different last name than your children?

Source: "1,001 Questions to Ask Before You Get Married," by Monica Mendez-Leahy, (McGraw-Hill, $14.95)

Copyright 2005 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051113/LIVING/511130320

These are great questions. Honestly, I never asked myself anything like these questions before getting preggers, either time. I just loved the idea of being a mom, because I always wanted to be one. I figured I would know what to do when the time came, and if not, I would ask for help or figure it out on my own.

The articles have been good, so far, but you have to have time to digest all the information. I would heartily recommend the articles to people who are in the process of raising a family. Today parents who take their parenting responsibilities seriously need all the help they can get.

Forum List

Back