Are rising gun sales the reason for declining crime?

2 studies were done in the past been about 15 maybe 20 years. Both pointed to the correlation between ease of access to fire arms, less restrictive laws for owning and carrying firearms as reasons for less crime in areas with those laws as opposed to those areas with restrictive laws and less access to firearms for regular citizens.

But you retards keep pretending other wise.

Obama was elected. I think that had the biggest influence on the rise in gun sales.

There is a direct correlation to the election of Barack Obama and the decline in the crime rate

He has kept us safe
Oh yes...The Messiah has sent his guardian angels to keep us safe and tuck us in at night.
Obama is so benevolent. We should not salute him for the office he holds. We should revere him as a Deity. Obama is so much a father to us all, the US Constitution should be suspended so that he may rule over us and protect us for the rest of his life.
Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Ok genius, since when does the office of President of the United States have any jurisdiction over local law enforcement?

When you lefties post shit like this, you must realize the rest of us are fucking cracking up laughing at you. Surely you must be aware of this.

Obama was elected. I think that had the biggest influence on the rise in gun sales.

There is a direct correlation to the election of Barack Obama and the decline in the crime rate

He has kept us safe

xp7hjd.jpg
I am repping you for that post...Perfect!

Quite simple......

1. Obama became president
2. Violent crime rate has declined

Therefore, the election of Obama caused the crime rate to decline. Simple cause and effect relationship. Same logic as the OP

Wrong as usual, but you keep proving just how fucking stupid you are.

Logic is not your forte

There is a direct correlation between the election of Barack Obama and the decline in the violent crime rate. Statistics do not lie
Ok..since you opened the door. The USPS is bleeding money. And it's gotten much worse in the last three years.
The St Louis Cardinals won the World Fucking Series.....Obama again?

Logic is not your forte

There is a direct correlation between the election of Barack Obama and the decline in the violent crime rate. Statistics do not lie
Ok..since you opened the door. The USPS is bleeding money. And it's gotten much worse in the last three years.

Has as much of a correlation as your increased gun ownership theory

He has kept us safe
Oh yes...The Messiah has sent his guardian angels to keep us safe and tuck us in at night.
Obama is so benevolent. We should not salute him for the office he holds. We should revere him as a Deity. Obama is so much a father to us all, the US Constitution should be suspended so that he may rule over us and protect us for the rest of his life.
Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Ok genius, since when does the office of President of the United States have any jurisdiction over local law enforcement?

When you lefties post shit like this, you must realize the rest of us are fucking cracking up laughing at you. Surely you must be aware of this.

Truth be told, the election of Obama has had as much of an impact on decreased violent crime rates as the increase in sales of guns

Neither has substantiating data to support either hypothesis

Logic is not your forte

By that you admit you just made up what you stated.
Once again..We're discussing reality now, so pay attention.
Criminals will think twice before attacking someone if they know there is a chance their potential prey might be packing heat.
Obama doesn't have shit to do with it.
Cut the bullshit.

The drop in the US crime rate has been occurring for the last 20 years – during both democratic and republican administrations, during boom and bust years – having nothing to do with Obama or gun sales.

The latest FBI figures show that murder, rape, robberies and other serious crimes have fallen to a 48-year low across the country.

In Washington last year, 131 people were murdered, the lowest number in half a century. Two decades ago, there were 482 homicides in the city amid turf wars among drug gangs and crack-driven violent robberies.
It's a pattern replicated across the country.

Twenty years ago, the murder rate for the whole US was 9.8 per 100,000 people. It has fallen by nearly half, although it is still twice the rate in France.

It's not just murder. Robberies were down nearly 10% last year and 8% the year before.

America's serious crime rate is plunging, but why? | World news | The Guardian

Logic is not your forte

The Cardinals won the World Series because they have wicked smart fans.

moran.jpg

Every time a new State passed conceal carry or open Carry the left and the gun grabbers insisted there would be wild west shootings in the streets. Never happened and in fact crime went down in those States.

Every time gun sales go up the left and the gun grabbers insist there will be wild west shootings in the streets. Hasn't happened yet and in fact crime is going down, GO FIGURE.

I've always pondered about two things................

1- Gun stores have the highest ratio of guns present per person, yet, I never see or hear about a gun store having a robbery or violence.

2- Prisons have the lowest ratio, almost absolute zero except the guards, of guns to persons ratio. Yet, they are among the most dangerous, violent places in society.

One would think the more guns per person in a building the higher the violence, and vice versa.

SURELY it's not that just some people are violent, regardless of available weapons.

I'll also throw in an applause for American Cops. Crime declined, so lets give a pat on the back to the men and women tasked with fighting just that crime! Great job cops. Spray some more lawbreaking hippies, I need entertainment!

Criminals will think twice before attacking someone if they know there is a chance their potential prey might be packing heat.
Cut the bullshit.

Once again, my Obama hypothesis has as much validity as your increased gun sales hypothesis.

To prove your hypothesis, you would have to demonstrate an increase in the number of crimes stopped by gun owners. A gun owner who increased his gun collection from six to ten guns has done nothing to stop crime. There is no data showing a significant increase in the number of gun owners

There is always a chance someone may be packing heat. Criminals do not read up on gun sales statistics before they decide to rob a gas station. If there was story after story of criminals being shot by gas station owners.....they would think twice

What there are stories of is dumb criminals caught on surveillance cameras and having their pictures on the six o'clock news

The fact is, violent crime has been on the decrease for twenty years. Mostly due to improved police tactics and modern technology. For NRA types to claim it is because of increased private gun ownership is just as silly as me claiming it is because of Obama

I'll also throw in an applause for American Cops. Crime declined, so lets give a pat on the back to the men and women tasked with fighting just that crime! Great job cops. Spray some more lawbreaking hippies, I need entertainment!

Actually, it is our police forces that are driving down the crime rate......not the gun nuts

It could be that with more people on food stamps than ever before, they do not have to commit as many crimes in order to eat. Therefore the crime rate goes down.

Are rising gun sales the reason for declining crime?
I think the fact that more people are sitting home with their belongings, not going out, not buying flashy clothes are the reason for less crime...

Are you kidding?

It is well established fact that in those locations with the most restrictive gun laws crime is higher then in those locations with less laws. It is also established historical fact that in those States that have enacted concealed carry or open carry crime has gone down.

Hmmm.....if that was the case then Illinois would be the state with the most crime. It is, after all, the only state in the union that does not allow any CC permits. But it ranks near the middle.

Care to explain how that can be compared to your posted facts?

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/2010/Crime_State_Rankings_2010.pdf

Last edited:
What there are stories of is dumb criminals caught on surveillance cameras and having their pictures on the six o'clock news

The fact is, violent crime has been on the decrease for twenty years. Mostly due to improved police tactics and modern technology.
Correct.

Consider for example advances in forensic science, DNA evidence, and tracking technology. More criminals are getting caught, the prison population has increased as the crime-rate has gone down – there are simply fewer criminals on the streets to commit crimes.

Cut the bullshit.

Once again, my Obama hypothesis has as much validity as your increased gun sales hypothesis.

To prove your hypothesis, you would have to demonstrate an increase in the number of crimes stopped by gun owners. A gun owner who increased his gun collection from six to ten guns has done nothing to stop crime. There is no data showing a significant increase in the number of gun owners

There is always a chance someone may be packing heat. Criminals do not read up on gun sales statistics before they decide to rob a gas station. If there was story after story of criminals being shot by gas station owners.....they would think twice

The fact is, violent crime has been on the decrease for twenty years. Mostly due to improved police tactics and modern technology. For NRA types to claim it is because of increased private gun ownership is just as silly as me claiming it is because of Obama

And there have been at least 2 studies that link declines in crimes to increased access to weapons and less restrictive laws on guns. But you just ignore that. Dumb ass.

Violent crime has been steadily going down since the early 90's. There have been some interesting articles about the causes of this.

How the Plummeting Price of Cocaine Fueled the Nationwide Drop in Violent Crime - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

This article also mentions Steven D. Levitt's theory that he put forth that it was due to the legalization of abortion 20 years earlier.

Simply saying it's due to an increase in the amount of guns is not looking at the entire picture. Especially since other advocates could easily argue it's due to stronger gun control laws enacted in that timeframe. (See: Brady Bill)

Personally I find the topic fascinating and I am not entirely sure myself why the violent crime rate has fallen. All I know is I am happy that it has.

Forum List

Back