Are poll workers being used to inflate jobs totals?

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/are_poll_workers_being_used_to_inflate_wPjTGS93ODzN8BXLg568iI

Workers at polling places for today's primary and November's general election are being required to file tax withholding forms for the first time ever in a move that could be aimed at inflating the nation's employment numbers.

Read more: Are poll workers being used to inflate employment totals? - NYPOST.com

"The Internal Revenue Service has determined that all poll workers are considered employees of the Board of Elections for tax purposes," said a Board memo dated Aug. 2 and signed by Rosanna Kostamoulas Rahmouni, coordinator of Election Day Operations.

"Therefore, the Board is required to have every poll worker complete the following before processing your application for work," her note added, listing tax forms W-4 and IT-2104 as necessary.

"It is imperative that you promptly submit the forms or you will not be paid for your training class or processed to work on Election Day," she said.

Read more: Are poll workers being used to inflate employment totals? - NYPOST.com

"I have been a poll worker (for) many years," wrote one of my readers, who alerted me to this situation, "and after all these years, on Aug. 31, we received a letter in the mail from the Board of Elections stating the IRS has determined that if we work the polls we are now considered employees of the BofE."

The IRS, however, couldn't produce any documentation about this ruling.

"It's possible they may be referring to a Private Letter Ruling, in which case the information would be private and we would not be able to disclose the contents," said an IRS spokesperson. Secret! I bet.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back