Are Democracy and Islam Incompatible?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Interesting debate going on at The Corner, by two writers I like-Andy McCarthy and John Podhoretz. I tend more towards McCarthy's stance, here's one of his posts:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MWY3NDNmYzk0ZjA5Mjg1NmVmMjVjY2NhM2YzNjVjZTk=

2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Democracy does not equate to morality. It sickens me every time when a lib defends the actions of other countries(but not our own) because they were 'democratically elected'. Democracy is by no means perfect, and it doesn't mean there will be worldwide peace if democracy is acheived throughout the world, but it is the best system of government to represent people. To a certain extent Bush is right when he says democracy is the best chance to lead to peace and freedom. But just because democracy allows that chance, doesn't mean it is taken advantage of. In the case of Islamic countries, that chance is often squandered by their hatred and ignorance....spurred on of course by their religion.

Its not that democracy and Islam aren't "compatible", its just that a democratic Islamic country probably isn't going to act like we want them to - peacefully. If the majority sympathize with terrorism, then it will support terrorism. If the majority of the people want to destroy America, then its democratically elected government would reflect that. We shouldn't hold back on waging war against such a country just because its their "people's will". The fact that their government more accurately reflects the people is even more reason we should wage a war against them if they seek to destroy us.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually I think they are incompatible. Notice to get Iraq to sign on, Islam's 5 pillars had to be there. No religion is 'necessary' in a democracy; the exclusivity of religion is undemocratic-but fine for religion.

Setting aside religion for the moment, democracy really requires a people that understand the tenents, not something that can be learned in a year or 3. I wonder how many truly understand the philosophy behind the British system, much less our own?

4. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Well I definately agree that Islam is not compatible with our version of democracy and the freedoms that go with it. But democracy in the generic sense of majority vote elects officials could definately "work". A republic like ours, no. Ignorant mass mob rule....now that is right up Islam's alley.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Democracy implies and requires more than majority vote. It's part of the problem in our own country, today.

6. Told you So

Told you So Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the only reason that democracy and Islam arent compatible is because the arabic nations rule by religion. The laws are made by the Koran, the Rulers rule by the Koran. The only thing people are taught is the Koran. People haven't been offered a chance to see the potential of themselves acting as a part of the world around them. They only know what they are told by the Imams- who happen to be anti-semetic, anti-democratic, anti-wester/modernization.... and anti-anything good that we have made of this world. The people are taught from a young age only about hatred of those who hold them back in society (they are told it is: Americans, jews...)- when in reality, it is the religious leaders and dictators of these nations that are holding the people back so that they themselves can gain more power and money.

I think Islam and Democracy WOULD be more compatible if we modernize all of these nations and teach people to think of their religion as a second or third class identifier... For example: I see myself as (1) an american (2) a republican (3) jewish by heritage, athiest by preference.

These people see themselves in this order: (1) a muslim (2) follower of the words of the Imam/Allah/nation's leader (3) a member of their family/clan

We must teach them not to make religion their first priority- that is what keeps them behind in society, that is what allows hatred and propaganda to spread quickly and without legitimate reasons.

In today's world: Islam and Democracy will be tough to get together in the same room- but hopefully enough will be done to modernize and bring forth from the depths of economic and social peril, those who don't even know it yet, but wish to be free.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Free from or for what? They do NOT wish to be free of their religion, let go of that. So? The religion is not compatible with democracy. So, what should they have?

8. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hold on now, the Hawk makes a lot of sense.

The people elect the government, so, you want some of us, well, bring it on.

Simple is better, why complicate things?

Call me out, put down the phone, I'm in.

This AIN'T complicated , its only DANGEROUS.

:spank3: :death: :crutch: :smoke: