ARE CEO's often Psychopaths?

Rshermr

VIP Member
May 30, 2012
LaConner, WA
I have worked a long time in the IT industry, from College on. And as time went on, I reported often directly to CEO's of companies I worked for. And I noticed something really common: Detachment from the normal concerns or regular people. For instance, firing a hundred or more employees seemed to not concern them in the slightest. Normal people were really concerned, even heavily depressed, over having to let one or two go, especially if the employee was not to blame. Anyone else ever puzzled over the question?
Here is a study on the subject:
Journalist Jon Ronson's book The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry sheds some new light on psychopaths and the mental health industry that surrounds them. During his research, Ronson learned that the about 4 percent of CEOs are psychopaths, which is nearly four times the rate in the general population. In fact, CEOs are more likely to exhibit psychopathic traits than folks with any other job title.
Why a Disproportionate Number of CEOs Are Psychopaths

I remember reading a study years ago about which professions exhibit more psychopathic tendencies. CEOs were at the top of the list. I have a boss who I often criticize. He's your typical greedy businessman. Pay your employees as little as possible while dedicating as little time and money as possible to your company. But he hates to fire anybody. He hates to look a single person in the face and tell them they can't feed their families because he wants a little more money in his pocket. I can't understand the mindset of a CEO who will shutdown an entire factory, leaving hundreds out of work so that he can moved his factory to China, and doesn't care in the least.

How are you defining psychopath? I suspect accuracy is not your goal. It takes a big ego and alfa male personality to be a ceo. You could probably find similar results with politicians and military top dogs.

How are you defining psychopath? I suspect accuracy is not your goal. It takes a big ego and alfa male personality to be a ceo. You could probably find similar results with politicians and military top dogs.

I believe empathy is one of the deciding factors. Most military top dogs understand what they are doing when they send young men out to die. Some of them are the ones forced to write that letter to the parents to inform them. To politicians and CEOs many of these people are nothing more than statistics.

I find your response interesting. Did you think I had an agenda?? If so, what would it be. I do indeed strive for accuracy. But I will remember your uncalled for insult.
The definition of psychopath is a simple thing to find, but much more difficult to diagnose. I do not pretend to be a psychologist. But I am sure they would tell you the same thing. Two traits that I find easiest to see include a lack of conscience, and high level of intelligence.
This should suffice for those of us that have rational minds:
How to Spot a Sociopath
16 key behavioral characteristics that define sociopaths/psychopaths and others with antisocial disorders.
Psychologists vie to enumerate the facets of sociopathy. Joseph Newman argues that the sociopath has an attention bottleneck that allows him to focus only on one activity or train of thought, to the exclusion of others. Researchers, including Howard Kamler, say that the sociopath lacks not "moral" identity but self-identity altogether. Yet nowhere do I recognize myself more than in Hervey Cleckley's clinical profiles. In The Mask of Sanity, published in 1941, Cleckley distilled what he believed to be the 16 key behavioral characteristics that defined psychopathy. Most of these factors are still used today to diagnose sociopaths/psychopaths and others with antisocial disorders. (Psychopathy and sociopathy are terms with an intertwined clinical history, and they are now largely used interchangeably. The DSM excludes both, in favor of antisocial personality disorder.)
  • Superficial charm and good intelligence
  • Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking
  • Absence of nervousness or neurotic manifestations
  • Unreliability
  • Untruthfulness and insincerity
  • Lack of remorse and shame
  • Inadequately motivated antisocial behavior
  • Poor judgment and failure to learn by experience
  • Pathologic egocentricity and incapacity for love
  • General poverty in major affective reactions
  • Specific loss of insight
  • Unresponsiveness in general interpersonal relations
  • Fantastic and uninviting behavior with alcohol and sometimes without
  • Suicide threats rarely carried out
  • Sex life impersonal, trivial, and poorly integrated
  • Failure to follow any life plan

I wouldn't say most. Certainly most of the very most successful ones are.

To get to CEO you have to go through a lot of stress.

I find your response interesting. Did you think I had an agenda?? If so, what would it be. I do indeed strive for accuracy. But I will remember your uncalled for insult.
The definition of psychopath is a simple thing to find, but much more difficult to diagnose. I do not pretend to be a psychologist. But I am sure they would tell you the same thing. Two traits that I find easiest to see include a lack of conscience, and high level of intelligence.
How to Spot a Sociopath
16 key behavioral characteristics that define sociopaths/psychopaths and others with antisocial disorders.
Psychologists vie to enumerate the facets of sociopathy. Joseph Newman argues that the sociopath has an attention bottleneck that allows him to focus only on one activity or train of thought, to the exclusion of others. Researchers, including Howard Kamler, say that the sociopath lacks not "moral" identity but self-identity altogether. Yet nowhere do I recognize myself more than in Hervey Cleckley's clinical profiles. In The Mask of Sanity, published in 1941, Cleckley distilled what he believed to be the 16 key behavioral characteristics that defined psychopathy. Most of these factors are still used today to diagnose sociopaths/psychopaths and others with antisocial disorders. (Psychopathy and sociopathy are terms with an intertwined clinical history, and they are now largely used interchangeably. The DSM excludes both, in favor of antisocial personality disorder.)
  • Unreliability
You've just defined how EXTREMELY different sociopaths and psychopaths are.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
You got real defensive real quick. If you are on your period come back when the flow eases up. CEOs don't generally climb to the top with those characteristics. Looks more like the running theme with liberals, quite frankly.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
So, the experts, who I am not one of, say that sociopaths and psychopaths are the same thing. And that they are a small percentage of the population, like under 2%. That they are different from normal people is true, no doubt.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
You got real defensive real quick. If you are on your period come back when the flow eases up. CEOs don't generally climb to the top with those characteristics. Looks more like the running theme with liberals, quite frankly.
Well, if I were you, I would not bother reading anything to try to learn anything. Cause it appears that you have it all figured out. And other than that, I have said nothing that should get your little con motor reving. That is on you.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
Well, if I were you, I would not bother reading anything to try to learn anything. Cause it appears that you have it all figured out. And other than that, I have said nothing that should get your little con motor reving. That is on you.
You really are hurt. Don't try to pin it on me. I call bullshit and you fold up like a cheap suit. Not my problem.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
You really are hurt. Don't try to pin it on me. I call bullshit and you fold up like a cheap suit. Not my problem.
Hey, I have no problem with you. You are a con tool. Simple. And con tools resort to personal attacks normally. So, no problem. Because you are stupid. Which makes learning anything a problem. It is much simpler for cons to just get their talking points, because actual thought processes are way beyond their comfort zone. Cons like to be told what to believe. Got it.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
So, the experts, who I am not one of, say that sociopaths and psychopaths are the same thing. And that they are a small percentage of the population, like under 2%. That they are different from normal people is true, no doubt.
the experts on mental disorders have the highest proportion of psychopaths out of any industry.

Of course they want distract us with vulnerable and visible sociopaths while they (the psychopaths) predatorize people with impunity.

Psychopaths are very hard to beat. sociopaths? very vulnerable and weak.

Psychopaths have no conscience. sociopaths do, but wish they didn't. The difference is, ALL the difference.

How to Spot a Sociopath
  • Unreliability
Hey, I have no problem with you. You are a con tool. Simple. And con tools resort to personal attacks normally. So, no problem. Because you are stupid. Which makes learning anything a problem. It is much simpler for cons to just get their talking points, because actual thought processes are way beyond their comfort zone. Cons like to be told what to believe. Got it.
I called bullshit on your post and said why so you think it was a personal attack? That means you have an emotional investment in it. Dims believe what they feel, they don't think. The evidence is they can't back up their shit. You couldn't be the CEO of a hotdog stand.

I have worked a long time in the IT industry, from College on. And as time went on, I reported often directly to CEO's of companies I worked for. And I noticed something really common: Detachment from the normal concerns or regular people. For instance, firing a hundred or more employees seemed to not concern them in the slightest. Normal people were really concerned, even heavily depressed, over having to let one or two go, especially if the employee was not to blame. Anyone else ever puzzled over the question?
Journalist Jon Ronson's book The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry sheds some new light on psychopaths and the mental health industry that surrounds them. During his research, Ronson learned that the about 4 percent of CEOs are psychopaths, which is nearly four times the rate in the general population. In fact, CEOs are more likely to exhibit psychopathic traits than folks with any other job title.

You never worked a day in your life

:lol:

I love it when leftist tell really really fucking bad lies.

this dickbag is acting like he was standing in the room when a ceo fired a hundred people.

sorry, you're way to fucking dumb to be an IT guy.

Narcissist, Borderline PD, Bi-Polar and ADHD people all achieve higher levels of power/prestige, etc than the average and they all have issues. This, I think leads to the 4% number.

I have been a CEO several times, run at least a dozen companies, employed thousands and been forced to lay off hundreds. The first person I ever had to fire was a gut-wrenching experience for me but that's why leadership is tough. Psychotic or not, I view my role as head coach of a team that wants to win the championship - and they expect me to take them to the championship. This means setting a strong work ethic, building a meritocracy and continually upgrading the bottom 10% of employees. If I fail to deliver they will not respect me and I will be replaced - and I should be replaced.

Many organizations do not run like this; Government, nursery schools, dysfunctional businesses, clubs, etc. That's fine, they wouldn't hire me and I wouldn't work for them.

So, Crusaderfrank says:
"You never worked a day in your life"

Now that was a profound statement. Since you do not know me at all. Truth is (not that you care about truth) that I worked 45 years. Unless, of course, I fooled those employers who paid me.
Not sure what your problem is. The attempt was to consider the subject, which has instead caused you to blindly attack me. Not that I care. I do indeed consider the source. But I find it interesting it touched your little anger button. Are you, perhaps, a Psychopath??????

Firing people is the fifth greatest experience in the world:) after sex , wife giving birth, an Ice cold beer on a hot day and killing your first deer.

I fired the best man at my wedding twice at two different jobs (he was making over $20 bucks an hour) for being a lazy ass worker.

Forum List

Back