Arab/Afghan Jezail Flintlock Musket "restoration"

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A guy came by the house last week with a rusted "camel gun" and sold it to me for $25.00. I noted the lock was a East India Company trade flintlock so that's why I bought it.....Then things escalated from there. ;)

The musket is a 5'-10" late 1700s - early 1800s Jezail Flintlock Musket.... It was popular amongst the Pashtun tribesmen. Jezails were primarily used in the 1st and 2nd Anglo Afghan Wars by Pashtuns and proved very effective against the British.

A scrimmage in a Border Station
A canter down some dark defile
Two thousand pounds of education
Drops to a ten-rupee Jezail.
-Rudyard Kipling

Before:

94 002 (2).JPG

94 003 (2).JPG

After:
j 001 (2).JPG

j 002 (2).JPG

I got the lock to work and it sparks well. I cleaned the brass up a bit with some CLR and put some Tung oil finish on it.

The bore was still in good shape as is about 52 caliber.

All the iron was put in a Evapo-Rust bath for about a week....I used electrolysis for the lock and then put it in the E-R bath.

I can't barely move the lock's cock but just enough to where I could get a properly sized flint in there.

1024px-Group_of_Afridi_fighters_in_1878.jpg

Group of Pashtun Tribesmen fighters in 1878, pictured with their jezails, during the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

As you can see they were as individual as their owners.

The Brits looked down their nose at them but one of the reasons they were so effective against other smoothbores of the era was they used a rudimentary peep sight along with a bead front sight....Long before the Western nations were even putting rear sights on their muskets.

Muskets of this type would have most likely been shot from a monopod type or crossed sticks rest.

1 001 (2).JPG

1 002 (2).JPG

A guy came by the house last week with a rusted "camel gun" and sold it to me for $25.00. I noted the lock was a East India Company trade flintlock so that's why I bought it.....Then things escalated from there. ;)

The musket is a 5'-10" late 1700s - early 1800s Jezail Flintlock Musket.... It was popular amongst the Pashtun tribesmen. Jezails were primarily used in the 1st and 2nd Anglo Afghan Wars by Pashtuns and proved very effective against the British.

A scrimmage in a Border Station
A canter down some dark defile
Two thousand pounds of education
Drops to a ten-rupee Jezail.
-Rudyard Kipling

Before:

View attachment 811261
View attachment 811262

After:
View attachment 811264

View attachment 811265

I got the lock to work and it sparks well. I cleaned the brass up a bit with some CLR and put some Tung oil finish on it.

The bore was still in good shape as is about 52 caliber.

All the iron was put in a Evapo-Rust bath for about a week....I used electrolysis for the lock and then put it in the E-R bath.

I can't barely move the lock's cock but just enough to where I could get a properly sized flint in there.

1024px-Group_of_Afridi_fighters_in_1878.jpg

Group of Pashtun Tribesmen fighters in 1878, pictured with their jezails, during the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

As you can see they were as individual as their owners.
That is amazing work you did on it....

Forum List

Back