April is Poetry month: Tweet your short poems to #NPRpoetry

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
NPR / public radio is soliciting short poems, about 140 characters,
to celebrate April as Poetry Month.

Please tweet to #NPRpoetry
They are selecting poems for the authors to read and broadcast on the radio throughout the month.

If you tweet some in, please post here also for everyone else to enjoy!
I sent in some that will probably get me banned if the NPR folks don't like my mean humor.

They are selecting poems for the authors to read and broadcast on the radio throughout the month.

I sent in some that will probably get me banned if the NPR folks don't like my mean humor.
You banned? Oh I want to read those!

You banned? Oh I want to read those!

Well, there is a back story behind one of them. I had spoofed a set of 5 haikus published by a fellow alumnus. Then I submitted the set to a different college journal, and cited the originals. The college contacted the author about giving him credit for the originals, he had a fit, and the college was forced to pull my haikus from publication. Then I had a fit. That whole set, as mean as it was, were among my favorites, and this ruined it for me. But it gave new meaning to the haiku that I intended as a joke, not as a real life conflict that erupted afterward!

I can't post the original haiku or that guy will probably pursue it as violating copyright. But basically he wrote a serious haiku about "coming home late" and finding his girlfriend waiting, with the "red paint" gone from her finger nails. So that's the backstory on this haiku I wrote that is still one of my favorites:
Haiku Moments

If NPR takes my sense of humor as some kind of psychopathic terrorist threat, I'm doomed!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back