AP turns sports into Politics..

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Aug 22, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/soccer/news/story?id=1864529

Like i said, its good for them. Another Nation freed from tyranny to pursue other loftier goals that now hates our guts. Mission Accomplished. There is a reason we are the greatest nation in the world. Its because despite all that we give to people, we still put up with all of their Bullshit. :usa:

2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Ain't that a slap in the face. I guess they played better with the threat of their feet being cut off. Oh well,like you said another mission accomplished and no one appreciated it. For the Iraqi people,I hope they win or do well. In 5 or 10 years,they may feel differently,and see what was sacraficed for their freedom.

3. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I can see where you are coming from and while I think they might seem ungrateful, I also wonder how their opinions might be affected by what they've been told about the US (not just Iraqi propaganda from Saddam's regime and not just the stuff on al-Jazeera and sources like that but also from a lot of the anti-American sentiment in Europe and from people like Moore). Of course, I could be wrong and that might not have anything to do with why they feel that way.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,135
    Im sure if they would like we could always let Saddam have the country agian.

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Nothing like chopping ones leg off for missing a game winning kick eh?

6. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    The Iraqi olympic Committee was previously run by Saddam Hussein's son, Odai, who tortured players when they fell out of favor".

You just know that George Steinbrenner's reading this and saying, "Hmmmm....".

7. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Just goes to show that no matter how bad things were there are some people that for some UnGodly reason seem to think they aren't better off. It reminds me of when the Soviet Union fell. There were some Russians that insisted things were fine the way they were. I guess some people just have a drastic fear of change. Go figure.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    ITs human nature. People fear change. They never see the window thats been opened to them. The too often dwell on the one that is shut behind them.

I bet you that when this guy grows to the age of 60 or 70 and Iraq has become a well respected nation with a booming economy, where children can walk down the street without fear of being killed, he will look back and say, thank god for the US and President Bush.