AP misleads on ‘military ballot’ plane crash

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
AP misleads on ‘military ballot’ plane crash​

Written By: Bob
AP misleads on ‘military ballot’ plane crash « Bob Owens
Oct• 27•12

We now know—long after the fact—that absentee ballots sent to members of the U.S. Military serving in Afghanistan may have been destroyed when a transport aircraft crashed and burned on October 19.

Absentee military ballots typically trend Republican, and so this would be viewed as suspicious by some. Luckily, we have the Associated Press on the case to calm everyone down.

Federal officials say that absentee ballots being sent to U.S. military serving in Afghanistan may have been burned in a plane crash.

A top official in the Federal Voting Assistance Program this week notified election officials across the nation that a transport plane crashed at Shindad Air Base on Oct. 19.

The crash resulted in the destruction of 4,700 pounds of mail inbound to troops serving in the area.

Federal officials in their email to state election offices said they did not know if any ballots were destroyed. They also said the lost mail was limited to one zip code.

Oh, it affected only a single ZIP code. Obviously not a big deal then, right? It depends on what that ZIP code is.

So what was the Zip code in question?

Military officials weren’t immediately sure if it was carrying ballots, so they issued the nationwide call to local election officials to see if they may have sent ballots to a ZIP code serving three installations in Afghanistan — Camps Shindand, Farah and Stone, also called Herat.

“If you have sent any ballots to the ZIP code 09382, we recommend you attempt to contact the voter and resend a new ballot, as the first ballot may have been destroyed in the crash and fire,” the alert said.

ZIP code 09382 serves Shinadad Air Base, Camp Farah, and Camp Stone, in Afghanistan.

An undetermined number of ballots destined for three U.S. military bases were destroyed.

[excerpt]

ali2.jpg

Good thing military voters can go to fvap.gov and download their ballot then isn't it?

If the military allows thousands of soldiers access to a PC.

Many out on FOBs won't be afforded that mainly because there is no internet service all the way out in the middle of nowhere.

I just checked the site....so it's actually working.

Now getting all of those soldiers to a computer. That's gonna be a problem.

Good thing military voters can go to fvap.gov and download their ballot then isn't it?

If the military allows thousands of soldiers access to a PC.

Many out on FOBs won't be afforded that mainly because there is no internet service all the way out in the middle of nowhere.

I just checked the site....so it's actually working.

Now getting all of those soldiers to a computer. That's gonna be a problem.

But bases can access and print for the soldiers whose ballots were destroyed in the crash.

I've been dealing with MOVE voters a lot this election and I can tell you that the majority of them request their ballot delivery via email.

Forum List

Back