AP At Least KNOWS When To Bail

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Just came across this, at least AP knows when to admit, albeit under pressure, when they didn't do their job:

http://www.leanwrite.com/politics/040913sealtrackers.html

THE POWER OF THE BLOGOSPHERE: THE SEAL TRACKERS
by John S (john at leanwrite dot com)
September 13, 2004

It really just started with a hunch. Among the news stories that I perused online on September 11, one stood out....a feature article from the AP's Elliott Minor interviewing active duty and former military personnel about President Bush's Air National Guard military records. The story took many different headlines, but a fairly common one was similar to what appeared on Yahoo News, "U.S. Servicemen React to Bush Guard Memos." Media outlets as large as ABC News and USA Today placed the story on their sites, and as I write this, Google News reports 121 articles going by that headline, from media across the United States and the world.

Much of the article was fairly neutral in tone, but one section near the end caught my attention:

Ahmad Majied of Albany says the latest allegations about Bush's military record are more troubling to him than allegations about service honors leveled at Democratic challenger Kerry.

Majied, a Democrat from Albany who served 30 years in the Navy, including five years as a SEAL in Vietnam, said the memos support his belief that Bush was a "playboy" during his service years.

"He had enough money to get what he wanted," Majied said. "I think his main concern was not to go to Southeast Asia. I bet he never dreamed it would come back to haunt him."

It was an odd section in many respects....it was the only quote in the article specifically anti-Bush, and Mr. Majied seemed an unlikely candidate for a US Navy SEAL....while I've only had the privilege of talking to a few of the real operators, none of my past reading would indicate to me there's a great many Democrat-leaning SEALs with Arabic names, and especially with experience in Vietnam. I thought it might be interesting to learn more about Mr. Majied's background....

Forum List

Back