Anybody Watch Ken Burns Doc On The Roosevelts?

Imo, Eleanor was one of the most interesting Americans ever. From an incredibly beautiful, but sadly abused and naïve girl, to an international humanist champion of individual rights. What I never understood, and still don't, is where she got her inner strength. Certainly not in childhood or her marriage.

I watched it all. It's very informative and well done.

I did not watch one minute, but then I am not interested in anything that glorifies the State and the corrupt liars who lead it.
A number of posters were asking, "Is the Gipper watching?" Now we know.

I did not watch one minute, but then I am not interested in anything that glorifies the State and the corrupt liars who lead it.
A number of posters were asking, "Is the Gipper watching?" Now we know.

I live to keep you informed.

Imo, Eleanor was one of the most interesting Americans ever. From an incredibly beautiful, but sadly abused and naïve girl, to an international humanist champion of individual rights. What I never understood, and still don't, is where she got her inner strength. Certainly not in childhood or her marriage.
Adversity is the raw material of indestructible happiness.

May we all experience it when we are young. :)

Adversity is the raw material of indestructible happiness.

May we all experience it when we are young. :)
I saw the series in bits and drabs, but I wondered if they put on the bonus-army bit and Eleanor? After Hoover and MacArthur dispersed the veterans asking for their bonus early killing at least one, the vets formed again with FDR president. This time FDR sent Eleanor down alone to talk with the vets. Eleanor had lunch with the vets, talked, sang a few WWI dittys and left. No one killed, no tanks, no military, just Eleanor and the vets. As I remember FDR vetoed the vet bonus bill but Congress overrode the veto.

didn't take long for one of you h8erz to troll..... errr..... stroll in here :rolleyes-41:

As to the OP, I heard an excellent interview on NPR w/ one of the producers & Ken Burns discussing it last week.

I forgot to mention the George Will quote on TR. "You have to remember, this man was a killer." A bit strong imo. LOL

But, the scope of the documentary was huge. It dealt with both Eleanor and TR's propensity towards depression, and their lives of great activity being a means of coping. And that's to say, it was a "personal history," dealing with their emotional reactions to events. And that's not a criticism.

But, I don't think I've ever seen anything on TV that really got to TR's conflict with Wilhelm II. TR threatened war in 1902 over what he perceived at a violation of the Monroe Doctrine. TR thought Wilhelm II unbalanced, which is pretty scary considering that TR wasn't working with a full deck. And Wilhelm II did have a fantasy about invading the US. Both men were committed to improving the lot of the working man, but Wilhelm II considered this a bond between subjects and the monarchy, while TR was totally a political animal. Had TR run for a second term, he'd have won easily, and I'm pretty sure TR would have found a way to get us in WWI earlier than we did.

Forum List

Back