any technical gurus out there?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
first off, i've been a windows tech guy for over 10 years and I know software pretty well but this popup ad shit i've got on mine now is really irking me.

anyone know of good site that has steps to look for this PoS virus (thats what it should be anyway)

my messenger is disabled.

I hesitate to install another piece of software on my computer that I don't need to. I'm a 'hands on' tech and instead of using a program to stop a script i would just as soon like to find the files and rip them out myself.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
my messenger is disabled.

I hesitate to install another piece of software on my computer that I don't need to. I'm a 'hands on' tech and instead of using a program to stop a script i would just as soon like to find the files and rip them out myself.

I hear ya, and don't blame you at all!!

That's the only way I know of to identify the spyware/adaware you can get. You can use them to identify and then remove the problematic files and registry entries manually if you like. Just remove them after you are complete. I've used them for quite some time now and they've never caused an issue for me, system or program related.

These "scripts" usually add a .dll to your system along with a registry entry. The programs I mentioned have a 'blacklist' they use to search the registry and your system files to identify the adware. They're nothing more than glorified search tools.

well, i broke down and installed ad aware 6.

nice little program actually. found 154 items. what a mess.

thanks for the tip jim

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
well, i broke down and installed ad aware 6.

nice little program actually. found 154 items. what a mess.

thanks for the tip jim

Did it get rid of the pop ups for you?

Glad it helped!

Forum List

Back