Any Runner's here? Are these kind of shoes safe to run in?

Oh, the monkeyfeet shoes. I tried on a pair. I hated the feeling, so I didn't buy. But then, I've never much liked walking barefoot. I'm happy with a regular lighter running shoe.

Be careful of the cult of the barefooters, who will let you know how barefooting will cure your knee pain, posture and baldness. Yet they're usually limping because they've hurt their feet. As I see it, there's a good reason humans invented shoes.

If you do go for them, everyone recommends you not run at all in them at first. For a month. You walk everywhere in them first and retrain your muscles for barefoot walking. It's like it's some new lifestyle choice you're making.

Oh, the monkeyfeet shoes. I tried on a pair. I hated the feeling, so I didn't buy. But then, I've never much liked walking barefoot. I'm happy with a regular lighter running shoe.

Be careful of the cult of the barefooters, who will let you know how barefooting will cure your knee pain, posture and baldness. Yet they're usually limping because they've hurt their feet. As I see it, there's a good reason humans invented shoes.

If you do go for them, everyone recommends you not run at all in them at first. For a month. You walk everywhere in them first and retrain your muscles for barefoot walking. It's like it's some new lifestyle choice you're making.

Thanks, I am on the fence about it. But this guy at my school wears them all the time and even though I think they are ugly....I can't help but wonder if I might like them better than regular running shoes.

I need to try a pair on and see how it feels.

I am just at the curious stage right now.

Thanks again for the feedback.

They definitely take getting used to. I took them for a run on gravel and it was the most miserable thing ever! I think if you build calluses it's great to run in but I never did it again. Great for hiking and climbing though. I've used them for that plenty of times.

How are you supposed to just "try them on" in the store?

You should wear foot covering, and I don't think they makes socks with individual toes in them.

Or do they? :dunno:

They definitely take getting used to. I took them for a run on gravel and it was the most miserable thing ever! I think if you build calluses it's great to run in but I never did it again. Great for hiking and climbing though. I've used them for that plenty of times.

So mainly they are more like walking shoes instead of running.
No they're meant for athletes. They're designed for serious outdoor use. Otherwise you'd be better off with regular shoes. I wouldn't use them for distance running but there are people who do. Mine are waterproof so I use them for hiking and climbing. I go through creeks and rivers with no problem and they're great for gripping rocks. You can't say that about shoes. As for running there are some people who are into barefoot running and wearing vibrams while you run is the next best thing. It feels great on pavement but like I said earlier; I took them on a 4 mile run on gravel and the only reason I didn't quit is I was with people.

Don't use them as walking shoes. That's just weird. I've seen people wearing them at the gym and I wonder why every time.

No they're meant for athletes. They're designed for serious outdoor use. Otherwise you'd be better off with regular shoes. I wouldn't use them for distance running but there are people who do. Mine are waterproof so I use them for hiking and climbing. I go through creeks and rivers with no problem and they're great for gripping rocks. You can't say that about shoes. As for running there are some people who are into barefoot running and wearing vibrams while you run is the next best thing. It feels great on pavement but like I said earlier; I took them on a 4 mile run on gravel and the only reason I didn't quit is I was with people.

Don't use them as walking shoes. That's just weird. I've seen people wearing them at the gym and I wonder why every time.

:lol: the guy at my school does....it's always distractive during the lecture I drift off and stare at his toe shoes hehe....

:lol: the guy at my school does....it's always distractive during the lecture I drift off and stare at his toe shoes hehe....
Yeah imo anyone who wears them casually is lame as hell and just trying to advertise that they wear them :laugh:

Vibrams are cool but they're definitely not a necessity. I just like that they can handle any surface. But that's mostly just because they're waterproof. Having free toes feels fucking great though.

Yeah imo anyone who wears them casually is lame as hell and just trying to advertise that they wear them :laugh:

Vibrams are cool but they're definitely not a necessity. I just like that they can handle any surface. But that's mostly just because they're waterproof. Having free toes feels fucking great though.

I bet !!!

Yeah, he is a weird guy but nice too.

I dunno his advertising apparently worked on me. LOL

Thanks for giving me your insight about it.

Another minimalist shoe. Some people like them; I don't. If you are just starting out with running, get yourself a good running shoe that offers good arch support. Go to a running store that specializes in running shoes. You will pay ten to twenty percent more, but they will watch you walk and maybe even run on a treadmill to get an idea of how you land on your feet. That way they can recommend the right shoe for you based on whether you have any pronation in your gait. It really is important to get into the right shoe for you.

Here is a link that explains pronation and your gait. Pronation Explained Runner s World

Forum List

Back