Any Ex-Conservatives on here?

I personally know many ex-liberals who were avid Obama supporters until they saw the hard facts and truth regarding his administration.

But I've never seen any educated conservatives "open their eyes" and turn to liberalism.

Another example is economist Thomas Sowell who used to be a hard-core supporter of Marxism in his early years; even while studying under Milton Friedman. Today, he's as Right as can be.

So, are there any ex-conservatives on this board? I'd like to hear your story. :redface:

I'm an ex-Republican.
My views are probably a little more liberal leaning now than they were 25 years ago. But not much. Overall, my views haven't changed that much - but the GOP has.

I personally know many ex-liberals who were avid Obama supporters until they saw the hard facts and truth regarding his administration.

But I've never seen any educated conservatives "open their eyes" and turn to liberalism.

Another example is economist Thomas Sowell who used to be a hard-core supporter of Marxism in his early years; even while studying under Milton Friedman. Today, he's as Right as can be.

So, are there any ex-conservatives on this board? I'd like to hear your story. :redface:
I was a conservative Republican until after Nixon/Ford.
Conservative means something far different than it meant 40 years ago. The conservative movement today is reactionary, seeks to return to something that never was and never will be.

You too are conflating conservative with Republican.

What is conservative has to be viewed in a context of the era. You became a conservative Democrat, then you left the conservative movement?

None?? :eek:

Any ex-liberals?

I don't know that I'd say ex-liberal, but ex-Democrat. From the time I was old enough to register in 1975, I was registered as a Democrat up until 2008. I would register as an independent as neither party really represents my views, but in Oklahoma we have closed primaries. I changed my registration to Republican. Obama's administration has pretty much cemented my "move" to conservative.

There are only bogus ones. Rush calls them "seminar callers."

Being called 'bogus" or "seminar" by a closeted homosexual draft dodger with a drug addiction is the ultimate in irony.

Limbaugh is the ultimate in being bogus.

A communist who hates everything the Republican Party stands for claims he was once a Republican?

Yeah, that's credible.

The things the Republican Party stands for that I hate - namely putting the interests of multi-national corporations over average Americans and appealling to religious loons - are something they didn't stand for 20 years ago.

I didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left me. And most of America. Too bad you are too stupid to realize it. They are very good at fooling you, but that's probably because you aren't very smart.

Exactly why he's not worth any paying attention too.

And yet here you are, getting upset about what I say.

Because you are angry, just your anger is misdirected. Big Corporations have ruined this country and the GOP, but they've kept you distracted at the minorities and the gays and the feminists... shit that really makes no difference to your life, but you are upset about them anyway.

Being called 'bogus" or "seminar" by a closeted homosexual draft dodger with a drug addiction is the ultimate in irony.

Limbaugh is the ultimate in being bogus.

A communist who hates everything the Republican Party stands for claims he was once a Republican?

Yeah, that's credible.

The things the Republican Party stands for that I hate - namely putting the interests of multi-national corporations over average Americans and appealling to religious loons - are something they didn't stand for 20 years ago.

I didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left me. And most of America. Too bad you are too stupid to realize it. They are very good at fooling you, but that's probably because you aren't very smart.

The difference between the Democrats and Republicans.

Democrats will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs so everyone can have one meal.

The Republicans will plant and tend the filelds that will produce crops that will feed everyone for many meals.

One shouldn't cut off their nose to spite their face.

Yeah, that's credible.

Democrats will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs so everyone can have one meal.

The Republicans will plant and tend the filelds that will produce crops that will feed everyone for many meals.

You idiots are only good at making depressions.

You idiots are only good at making depressions.

And you morons are good at doubling down and extending them. :cuckoo:

Really?

Frankly, the only reason why we have an abudnance in this country is because progressive Democrats and Republicans realized government needs to work for everyone.

DO you think we'd have effective farms if we had to wait around for private companies to put the rural areas on the power grid? Nope. Government did that. They built the interstate highway system (that was Ike's idea. A republican for infrastructure instead of Dressage Ponies? Inconceivable!)

When I was growing up, my parents said Democrats gave us wars and Republicans gave us recessions.

Now Republicans give us both.

I'm an ex-doctrinaire libertarian.

I have a few shelves of libertarian books on my wall that I bought when I was younger. Then, I spent 20 years in financial markets and came to the conclusion that the notion that libertarian outcomes were always the most optimal was wrong.

But libertarianism is still my default option.

If you're searching for ex-conservatives, you'll need to find somebody who decided that LOGIC and FACTS were no longer necessary.

A politician, you mean? :D

I believe there have been a few who switched sides because a) it was easier to win elections, or b) they had a skeleton in the closet, and everyone knows that only liberal Democrats can get away with that.

Ya mean like the supposedly ex Conservative, now retired real estate agent in my area who habitually starts writing letters to the editor during the election season reading thusly "I've always voted Republican, but the candidacy of this war monger Ronald Reagan....", or "I've always voted Republican but the candidacy of Vice President George HW Bush leaves me a little uneasy.." or "I've always voted Republican but I'm not certain I can vote for the current Republican Candidate Robert Dole...", or "I've always voted Republican, but I just cant bring myself to consider the current candidate George W Bush", or "I've always voted Republican, but John McCain isn't my ideal..."or last time "I've always voted Republican but I somehow can't bring myself to vote for someone with Mitt Romney's qualifications..". That kinda ex Conservative? After lookin at the Democratic Party's political machinations, its long since ceased being the party of all American candidates like FDR, HST, and JFK, but exclusively, today, the party of America hating freeloaders, loafers, and pervs. What person, who, when seeing the American Flag, feels at least a fleeting moment of pride would want to join a party like that?

Case in point: Man who before he would speak at Georgetown or Notre Dame U insisted that all statuary, images or inscriptions to another god other than he be covered up, obliterated or obfuscated posing with nymphomaniac and Heidi Fleiss wannabe Sandra Fluke.

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/02/20/...hood-to-push-obamacare-birth-control-mandate/

Last edited:
None?? :eek:

Any ex-liberals?

I was a liberal in late teens and early 20s. Then I got a lesson from a fiscal conservative about economic principles --- and then another from a social conservative. It's pretty obvious that spending money you don't have is wrong! ..and following the selfish religion of secularism may be worse, especially when you start using the behavior of others to justify your own moral shortcomings. To any logical thinker, it's pretty obvious that every liberal issue is a disease built from a lack of accountability for ones own actions.

I'm an ex-conservative. Born and raised Republican. Then when the GOP went power crazy in the 2000's I was gone. Less government and stricter adherence to the constitution my ass.

Let me guess --- about the time you went to college, or found out you liked men, or started smoking pot?

I'm an ex-conservative. Born and raised Republican. Then when the GOP went power crazy in the 2000's I was gone. Less government and stricter adherence to the constitution my ass.

So you think the Democrat Party is going to give you less government and strict adherence to the Constitution?

Whenever I see complaints like that, I know the source is nothing but a lying scumbag.

Let me guess --- about the time you went to college, or found out you liked men, or started smoking pot?

Weak.

So you think the Democrat Party is going to give you less government and strict adherence to the Constitution?

Whenever I see complaints like that, I know the source is nothing but a lying scumbag.

I think neither party will give me less government or adherence to the constitution. Both parties are the same on economic issues no matter what their mouthpieces say. But democrats allow more freedom on social issues imo.

Also fuck you for your baseless judgement.

Forum List

Back