ANOTHER Tsunami Alert in Japan

They are now saying the tsunami warning was the result of false readings of an earthquake resulting from blast at #3. The aftermath certainly looks like it was a much larger explosion than #1.

Hydrogen is extremely explosive. Had they not allowed the hydrogen to vent and risk explosion they would have suffered a breach in the containment vessel which would contaminate the whole area.

This is a non event really.

Wow.

Tell that to the Japanese.

What matters is that the containment vessel stays intact. Second consideration is that vented gases contain as little cesium 131 as possible. But even a fair amount of vented cesium is far better than breaching the containment vessel.

They evacuated 170,000 people just to make this venting a non issue. This isn't bad news. It is just news.

Wow.

Tell that to the Japanese.

What matters is that the containment vessel stays intact. Second consideration is that vented gases contain as little cesium 131 as possible. But even a fair amount of vented cesium is far better than breaching the containment vessel.

They evacuated 170,000 people just to make this venting a non issue. This isn't bad news. It is just news.

They're saying that radiation has escaped along with this most recent explosion, but they haven't talked to you yet, I assume. They're telling people to stay inside. Maybe you should give them a call so little Suki can go fly her kite?

At what point does it become "bad news."

5 dead?

50 dead?

5000 dead?

Or does it depend on who they are?

I don't want to get all worked up if 500 people die from radiation exposure, and it isn't even bad news yet.

Thanks in advance.
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Here is the video of the Monday morning (Japan) hydrogen Explosion. MASSIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZKlaEZMLY&feature=player_detailpage

Its not a big deal.

skeptic said so.

Well, he would be partly correct if the containment device has not gotten breached. It WOULD still be a big deal, just not as big.

However, if the containment device did get breached, then this is a very big deal indeed.

The reality of this entire situation is extraordinarily bleak. The Earthquake was massive all on its own, but he tsunamis it unleashed, and the tragic human consequences of those tusunamis, are even more dire. Then just when you thought it was difficult to wrap your mind about the horrendous scope of those disasters, we are bearing witness to a very likely nuclear core meltdown -- or two or three.

I'm kinda skeptical of sceptic's analysis. This is a huge "deal." This has the hallmarks of being a human event of a kind even more historically significant than the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks.

Its not a big deal.

skeptic said so.

Well, he would be partly correct if the containment device has not gotten breached. It WOULD still be a big deal, just not as big.

However, if the containment device did get breached, then this is a very big deal indeed.

The reality of this entire situation is extraordinarily bleak. The Earthquake was massive all on its own, but he tsunamis it unleashed, and the tragic human consequences of those tusunamis, are even more dire. Then just when you thought it was difficult to wrap your mind about the horrendous scope of those disasters, we are bearing witness to a very likely nuclear core meltdown -- or two or three.

I'm kinda skeptical of sceptic's analysis. This is a huge "deal." This has the hallmarks of being a human event of a kind even more historically significant than the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks.

I agree with you completely.

It is bad news, and it is a big deal.

They're saying that radiation has escaped along with this most recent explosion, but they haven't talked to you yet, I assume. They're telling people to stay inside. Maybe you should give them a call so little Suki can go fly her kite?

This is exactly what happened after the roof blew off reactor #1. And that explosion was a nuthing.

Its not a big deal.

skeptic said so.

well duh, of course it does.

But this particular explosion is meaningless. I wasn't trying to minimize the magnitude of the triple disaster. Just saying that the tsunami and hydrogen explosion in reactor #3 are insignificant elements.

IOW don't pee your pants over tonight's events.

I do get a kick out of how this thread got started over a Fox news report that a helicopter could see a tsunami wave in the pitch black of 3AM.

Its not a big deal.

skeptic said so.

well duh, of course it does.

But this particular explosion is meaningless. I wasn't trying to minimize the magnitude of the triple disaster. Just saying that the tsunami and hydrogen explosion in reactor #3 are insignificant elements.

IOW don't pee your pants over tonight's events.

I do get a kick out of how this thread got started over a Fox news report that a helicopter could see a tsunami wave in the pitch black of 3AM.

Nobody is peeing their pants, you sanctimonious clod. The fact that you communicate poorly is entirely on you.

This remains a very big deal. IF you meant only that the hydrogen explosion at the reactor is not a sign of the end-times, you would be correct. In and of itself, that large explosion does not necessarily signal the beginning of an unavoidable meltdown or that one has taken place. (I don't think I saw anybody argue that it did, however.)

But it COULD have caused some serious damage to the container, so it COULD be a very much bigger thing, all the same.

As for the reports of the tsunami, we may learn more with the passage of time. I don't think anybody is actually arguing with you about what can or cannot be seen from a helicopter.

By the way, there is nothing inherently impossible about a helicopter seeing a tsunami wave forming. Did you ever hear of lights and sensor equipment?

My failure to communicate doesn't explain your assumptions that I said the entire Japanese disaster is inconsequential. When I said nothing of the kind.

And the containment vessel was reportedly already deforming before the venting occurred.

If my facts are correct the venting could have some more serious consequences than the venting of reactor #1, since reactor #3 is allegedly a plutonium reactor. But those consequences are 1/10,000th of what would happen if the containment vessel actually ruptured.

CNN seems to have the best coverage right now.

Gupta is near water on phone to Cooper.

So, did you and Fox news lie about ANOTHER tsunami? They sure like to create news, don't they..

It isn't as if these poor people aren't suffering enough for Fox.

So, did you and Fox news lie about ANOTHER tsunami? They sure like to create news, don't they..

For heavens sake, Sarah. We have a situation where a death toll will run into tens of thousands, we have at least two nuclear reactors teetering on a meltdown with the potential of a third.... and you're concerned about Fox News? I like you, but that is seriously pathetic. Really.

And, Mini and Fox didn't lie.... there was another Tsunami warning... after another quake.

Oh.... and they are expecting another major quake in the next few days.... which is likely to bring another Tsunami. That's from the BBC.... not Fox.... so I guess that's legitimate.

For heavens sake, Sarah. We have a situation where a death toll will run into tens of thousands, we have at least two nuclear reactors teetering on a meltdown with the potential of a third.... and you're concerned about Fox News? I like you, but that is seriously pathetic. Really.

And, Mini and Fox didn't lie.... there was another Tsunami warning... after another quake.

Oh.... and they are expecting another major quake in the next few days.... which is likely to bring another Tsunami. That's from the BBC.... not Fox.... so I guess that's legitimate.

The story wasn't true, Fox was the one reporting it saying the tsunami was 8 minutes away. They were sensationalizing the news once again.

I like you too but you are seriously mistaken if you think your opinion of me personally alters my pov and my opinion of your chosen news sources such as Fox, World Nut Daily, etc..

The story wasn't true, Fox was the one reporting it saying the tsunami was 8 minutes away. They were sensationalizing the news once again.

I like you too but you are seriously mistaken if you think your opinion of me personally alters my pov and my opinion of your chosen news sources such as Fox, World Nut Daily, etc..

Sarah, I rarely watch Fox, and I don't think I've looked at the WND more than a couple of times... and those only because someone here has provided a link to something.

I just don't see how reporting that there's another Tsunami warning is sensationalizing anything..... Literally, as I'm typing, there's another Tsunami warning going out. It's on Sky and the BBC. Neither are prone to sensationalizing.... they report what they are being told. There are likely to be more tsunami warnings... and possible another tsunami or two. The BBC say that they are expecting another major quake in the area over the next 3 days. Is that sensationalizing? No, it's reporting what they are being told.

Poor Japan.

What else can we say?

Theirs is a society which tries so hard to get it right and then this kind of natural diaster happens and they find themselves having once again to bury their dead and rebuild their cities.

Bassed on the reports we get their government's and their people's responses have been heroic.

One cannot help but wonder how well our government (and people) would react if the tsuami had hit the West Coast with the devasting effect it hit Japan.

If New Orleans is our guide, the answer is not nearly so heroically.

Last edited:

You are correct. The big news here isn't another explosion at a nuclear reactor in the middle of millions of people having nowhere to go, and tens of thousands of dead.

No.

The big story is the opportunity for rabid, ignorant, partisan assholes to take another swipe at Fox News. I suspect that's really all the Japanese care about right now anyway.....they haven't been able to see the new ratings numbers yet.

Forum List

Back