Another Texas GOP Lawmaker Is Attempting To Make Abortion Punishable By The Death Penalty

You seem to see abortion as involving only one set of rights once fertilization occurs - and that is the unborn child's. You seem to see it as being one person's primary responsibility - the mother's. Father seems to get a free pass. If HE doesn't want the child, he can leave. His responsibility is limited to child support and a large number seem to easily avoid that.

The attitude in these states, and conservatives in general, can be summed up like this (IMO):

1. Women are a unique "class" of citizens, who's rights can be terminated by the state upon pregnancy.

2. The child's life has more value to the state prior to birth. After birth, it becomes a burden to the state if the mother can't afford it and the state must take measures to reduce that burden.

3. The unborn child's life has more value to the state than the mother's.

4. 100% of the blame for an unwanted pregnancy is on the woman. This is obvious even in our language where we have a host of terms for her - slut, ho, welfare queen, etc. and none for the man.

5. Pregnancy is a punishment. It's a punishment for her sins, bad choices in life, etc. Don't expect the state to offer help.

The above are all strawmen, deliberate misrepresentations of my position, and the position of all of us who are opposed to the murder of children that you support and defend. No surprise, of course; it reflects exactly the sort of deceitfulness that everyone here knows to expect from you, based on your past behavior.

Who do you think you are fooling?

Creating and raising children is a very deep responsibility. It is by wise divine design that it takes a man and a woman, working together, to do so properly. An unfortunately biologicals reality, combined with a tragic degree of social decay, has made it too easy for the man to escape his share of the responsibility.

I have no respect at all, and will never defend, some subhuman scumbag who knocks a woman up, doesn't even have the decency to marry her, who evades his responsibility to her and the child that he created with her. What slurs you falsely accuse me of wanting to apply to the woman in such a situation, if comparable slurs existed to apply to the man, with comparable stigma, I would use them. Indeed, I think it is a reflection on how defective our society is that being a deadbeat sperm donor does not carry a great stigma with it.

Proponants [sic] of making abortion entirely illegal insist that they just want to leave it up to the states...but is that true? These are the same people who push "personhood" amendments and legislation afterall [sic]. To them, a fetus is person, with rights - why would those rights be restricted by state borders? That's not rational. Their next push is going to be on the federal level and that is dangerous to women because once you make a fetus's "rights" equal to the "mothers" you are opening a can of worms.

Per the Tenth Amendment, nearly all criminal matters are state matters, not federal matters. We have come to let the federal government stick its nose too deeply in too many places where it does not belong, and I do not support any of that.

If I were to murder my neighbor, it is a state law that I would be violating, not a federal law, and it would be state or local police who would arrest me, a state or local court in which I would be tried, and the state that would imprison or otherwise punish me. If I claimed some justification for my actions, such as self-defense, my claim would be evaluated according to state law, according to criteria established by my state.

If you move on to the next step in terms of "rights" you can not allow exemptions for rape or incest. It's not the fetus' fault that it was created through an act of violence so it shouldn't be killed because of that. It did nothing to cause it.

Damn right.

As evil as it is to kill an innocent child in cold blood, it is even more so to do so because of a crime in which he had no willing part.

Assuming rape by force, coercion, or violence, I would be perfect OK with putting the rapist to death (assuming proper due process, of course, which you're not even willing to grant the child before you have it put to death), but never, never, never an innocent child.

You also can not put the mother's life over that of the fetus so if her life is endangered or her health - you can't choose. They are equal. You make a choice based on who has the best chance of making it.

I'm OK (for low values of OK) with allowing abortion in circumstances where allowing the pregnancy to continue puts the mother at serious risk of death or serious physical harm. A tragic circumstance, but in this case, necessary to mitigate the harm that such a situation would otherwise cause.

Certainly, it is better to save the mother, than to lose both the mother and her child.

Does the mother then become responsible for any conduct that might lead to fetal deformaties [sic], miscarriage, or such? That seems to make her little more than a vessel for what is inside her, for 9 months.

Once the child is born, the parents (both of them) are responsible for taking reasonable measures to protect the child's safety and well-being, and to avoid needlessly endangering the child.

I see no reason at all to consider this responsibility an less during gestation.

Would miscarriages then be looked at as possible criminal acts? Seriously - there are countries that do this.

I see no reason why, as long as there is no strong evidence that it was from anything other than natural causes.

We don't have a criminal investigation every time some 90-year-old geezer drops dead from a heart attack.

You seem to see abortion as involving only one set of rights once fertilization occurs - and that is the unborn child's. You seem to see it as being one person's primary responsibility - the mother's. Father seems to get a free pass. If HE doesn't want the child, he can leave. His responsibility is limited to child support and a large number seem to easily avoid that.

The attitude in these states, and conservatives in general, can be summed up like this (IMO):

1. Women are a unique "class" of citizens, who's rights can be terminated by the state upon pregnancy.

2. The child's life has more value to the state prior to birth. After birth, it becomes a burden to the state if the mother can't afford it and the state must take measures to reduce that burden.

3. The unborn child's life has more value to the state than the mother's.

4. 100% of the blame for an unwanted pregnancy is on the woman. This is obvious even in our language where we have a host of terms for her - slut, ho, welfare queen, etc. and none for the man.

5. Pregnancy is a punishment. It's a punishment for her sins, bad choices in life, etc. Don't expect the state to offer help.

The above are all strawmen, deliberate misrepresentations of my position, and the position of all of us who are opposed to the murder of children that you support and defend. No surprise, of course; it reflects exactly the sort of deceitfulness that everyone here knows to expect from you, based on your past behavior.

Who do you think you are fooling?

Creating and raising children is a very deep responsibility. It is by wise divine design that it takes a man and a woman, working together, to do so properly. An unfortunately biologicals reality, combined with a tragic degree of social decay, has made it too easy for the man to escape his share of the responsibility.

I have no respect at all, and will never defend, some subhuman scumbag who knocks a woman up, doesn't even have the decency to marry her, who evades his responsibility to her and the child that he created with her. What slurs you falsely accuse me of wanting to apply to the woman in such a situation, if comparable slurs existed to apply to the man, with comparable stigma, I would use them. Indeed, I think it is a reflection on how defective our society is that being a deadbeat sperm donor does not carry a great stigma with it.

Proponants [sic] of making abortion entirely illegal insist that they just want to leave it up to the states...but is that true? These are the same people who push "personhood" amendments and legislation afterall [sic]. To them, a fetus is person, with rights - why would those rights be restricted by state borders? That's not rational. Their next push is going to be on the federal level and that is dangerous to women because once you make a fetus's "rights" equal to the "mothers" you are opening a can of worms.

Per the Tenth Amendment, nearly all criminal matters are state matters, not federal matters. We have come to let the federal government stick its nose too deeply in too many places where it does not belong, and I do not support any of that.

If I were to murder my neighbor, it is a state law that I would be violating, not a federal law, and it would be state or local police who would arrest me, a state or local court in which I would be tried, and the state that would imprison or otherwise punish me. If I claimed some justification for my actions, such as self-defense, my claim would be evaluated according to state law, according to criteria established by my state.

If you move on to the next step in terms of "rights" you can not allow exemptions for rape or incest. It's not the fetus' fault that it was created through an act of violence so it shouldn't be killed because of that. It did nothing to cause it.

Damn right.

As evil as it is to kill an innocent child in cold blood, it is even more so to do so because of a crime in which he had no willing part.

Assuming rape by force, coercion, or violence, I would be perfect OK with putting the rapist to death (assuming proper due process, of course, which you're not even willing to grant the child before you have it put to death), but never, never, never an innocent child.

You also can not put the mother's life over that of the fetus so if her life is endangered or her health - you can't choose. They are equal. You make a choice based on who has the best chance of making it.

I'm OK (for low values of OK) with allowing abortion in circumstances where allowing the pregnancy to continue puts the mother at serious risk of death or serious physical harm. A tragic circumstance, but in this case, necessary to mitigate the harm that such a situation would otherwise cause.

Certainly, it is better to save the mother, than to lose both the mother and her child.

Does the mother then become responsible for any conduct that might lead to fetal deformaties [sic], miscarriage, or such? That seems to make her little more than a vessel for what is inside her, for 9 months.

Once the child is born, the parents (both of them) are responsible for taking reasonable measures to protect the child's safety and well-being, and to avoid needlessly endangering the child.

I see no reason at all to consider this responsibility an less during gestation.

Would miscarriages then be looked at as possible criminal acts? Seriously - there are countries that do this.

I see no reason why, as long as there is no strong evidence that it was from anything other than natural causes.

We don't have a criminal investigation every time some 90-year-old geezer drops dead from a heart attack.
While I (no surprise) disagree with some of this - thank you for at least a partially serious and thoughtful response (though you still can't refrain from mud slinging). It is a rarity and one reason I just plain quit trying to do it myself. Much easier to throw mud.

Gotta run.

I don't understand why people elect politicians like the ones in this article and the Texas government.

Why can't they just be happy doing the job people want them to do ?

Texas has a lot of problems. The highest rate of uninsured in the nation. Among the lowest in education and the list goes on and on.

Yet these men are wasting time and tax dollars with passing legislation that will kill women and doctors.

The stupid bill won't even get past committee much less become law.

It's disgusting.

Another Lamb Yankee hating on the best and brightest state in the union. *yawn*

I don't understand why people elect politicians like the ones in this article and the Texas government.

Why can't they just be happy doing the job people want them to do ?

Texas has a lot of problems. The highest rate of uninsured in the nation. Among the lowest in education and the list goes on and on.

Yet these men are wasting time and tax dollars with passing legislation that will kill women and doctors.

The stupid bill won't even get past committee much less become law.

It's disgusting.

States rights are outlined in the Constitution, and a lot of us here believe that human life is a sacred trust from conception to burial of the dead.

Many of us here are horrified by the hundred million Americans who were dissected to death before birth against God's will in favor of irresponsibility of the people involved in a moment of pleasure, and willing to put another human being through being sliced limb by limb and beheaded that is the essence of giving someone only one memory at Heaven,s door which is one of the cruelest ways to die in heinous pain that human being's only recollection of life on this planet. The thought of it makes most of us want to hurl.

Forum List

Back