Another person that is ignorant of World affairs, shooting off his mouth...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics2004/story/0,14912,1293293,00.html

Olympic gold hero accuses Bush

Denis Campbell and Helena Smith in Athens
Sunday August 29, 2004
The Observer

America's biggest Olympic hero yesterday accused George Bush of exploiting the Athens Games for his own political advantage in the run-up to the presidential election.
Carl Lewis, who won nine Olympic gold medals in athletics in a record-breaking career, condemned Bush for using the presence of Iraqi and Afghan teams in Athens in a television advertisement to boost his chances of re-election.

Criticising Bush for linking his foreign policy with the two countries being allowed to compete here, Lewis said: 'I felt that was disingenuous. It is funny that we boycotted the 1980 Games [in Moscow] in support of Afghanistan, and now we're bombing Afghanistan,' he told the Athens News yesterday.

'Of course, we've invaded Iraq and are in there and are using it for political gain. It bewilders me, and I understand why the Iraqi players are offended.

'To support the players or the community is fine, but for political gain I disagree.'

Iraq's footballers, who unexpectedly reached the semi-finals here, made clear last week they disliked the advertisement and regarded American soldiers in Iraq as occupiers rather than liberators. Bush was planning to visit the Greek capital and attend yesterday's football final if Iraq had been involved, but they lost in the semi-finals last week. He was also criti cised for misusing without permission Olympic symbols, which are protected emblems.

The US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, yesterday cancelled plans to stay in Athens for tonight's Olympic closing ceremony amid fears that protesters might wreck his visit.

Informing his Greek counterpart Petros Molyviatis, the US envoy said while Athens deserved a gold medal 'for hosting amazing and secure Games' pressing work obligations would prevent him seeing the Games out.

And then in the same story, the Guardian just kinda trails off at the end.

Meanwhile, Britain's Olympic boxing hero Amir Khan has turned down the chance to become an instant millionaire by deciding to remain as an amateur fighter for at least the next two years, The Observer has learnt.

The 17-year-old,whose performances in Athens have prompted comparisons to his hero Muhammad Ali, has rejected several multi-million pound deals from boxing promoters keen to capitalise on his series of stunning displays.

The Bolton teenager, who fights for the gold medal at lunchtime today, has told friends that he wishes to remain an amateur at least until the Commonwealth Games and Boxing World Championships in 2006. He has also indicated a desire to compete in Beijing in four years' time. However, he is set to sign an agreement with the leading British promoter Frank Warren who will stage and market Khan's fights once he turns professional. Warren had wanted Khan to turn professional right away but has now agreed to wait until he is ready.

Khan, virtually unknown at the start of the Olympics, has been the stand-out performer at the Peristeri Hall in Athens, bewildering his opponents with fast feet and fast hands. But Khan also proved that he has determination when he defeated Kazakhstan's Serik Yeleuov in the semi-finals after being behind at the halfway stage.

A win today will make him the youngest Olympic boxing champion since the American legend Floyd Patterson won gold in 1952. But standing in the way of the gold medal is the toughest fight of Khan's career. His opponent, the Cuban Mario Kindelan, is the reigning Olympic champion and reckoned to be one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. The two boxers have met before, in a pre-Olympic test event earlier this year, and Kindelan was a clear winner on the scoreboard. When asked his thoughts about his opponent in the final Khan said: 'I don't really care, I know I can do the same to this opponent as the last one.'

Was this a story, an Olympic update or a Cheap shot at Bush. Answer, all of the above.

Oh please! I care about what this guy says about as much as I care about what Barbara Streisand says :gives:

These people think celebrity makes them special. I don't care if it's an athelete,movie star,or musician-their heads need to be stuck with a pin to let the hot air out.

Forum List

Back