Another multi-millionaire renouncing citizenship over taxes

Zxereus

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2012
Socialite Denise Rich Dumps U.S. Passport

(Reuters) - Denise Rich, the wealthy socialite and former wife of pardoned billionaire trader Marc Rich, has given up her U.S. citizenship - and, with it, much of her U.S. tax bill.

Rich, 68, a Grammy-nominated songwriter and glossy figure in Democratic and European royalty circles, renounced her American passport in November, according to her lawyer.

Her maiden name, Denise Eisenberg, appeared in the Federal Register on April 30 in a quarterly list of Americans who renounced their U.S. citizenship and permanent residents who handed in their green cards.

By dumping her U.S. passport, Rich likely will save tens of millions of dollars or more in U.S. taxes over the long haul, tax lawyers say.

Rich, who wrote songs recorded by Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige and Jessica Simpson, is the latest bold-faced name to join a wave of wealthy people renouncing their American citizenship. Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin gave up his U.S. passport to become a citizen of Singapore, an offshore tax haven, before the company's initial public offering in May.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/socialite-denise-rich-dumps-u-s--passport.html

(Reuters) - Denise Rich, the wealthy socialite and former wife of pardoned billionaire trader Marc Rich, has given up her U.S. citizenship - and, with it, much of her U.S. tax bill.

Rich, 68, a Grammy-nominated songwriter and glossy figure in Democratic and European royalty circles, renounced her American passport in November, according to her lawyer.

Her maiden name, Denise Eisenberg, appeared in the Federal Register on April 30 in a quarterly list of Americans who renounced their U.S. citizenship and permanent residents who handed in their green cards.

By dumping her U.S. passport, Rich likely will save tens of millions of dollars or more in U.S. taxes over the long haul, tax lawyers say.

Rich, who wrote songs recorded by Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige and Jessica Simpson, is the latest bold-faced name to join a wave of wealthy people renouncing their American citizenship. Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin gave up his U.S. passport to become a citizen of Singapore, an offshore tax haven, before the company's initial public offering in May.

It looks like another defecting, I thought Democrats only did this if a Republican won.

• Banned

Socialite Denise Rich Dumps U.S. Passport - Yahoo! Finance

It looks like another defecting, I thought Democrats only did this if a Republican won.

And I thought they believe paying taxes was their patriotic duty ?

Socialite Denise Rich Dumps U.S. Passport - Yahoo! Finance

Wealthy people leaving the United States due to overbearing taxes does NOT help the middle class become better off, it hurts us.

This is another example of the consequence of the policies of "liberal" govt and the unintended impacts said policies have on those such policies are sold to us as helping.

A liberal democrat is giving up her U.S. citizenship because of her U.S. tax bill.
I guess she must have been a closet Republican, not wanting to pay her "fair" share and all that.
Was not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Yup. This is how it starts, folks. First you see the rich flee to retain their wealth, then we'll see politicians pipe up about what a disgrace these people are and then they will try and penalize them by making them pay taxes anyway or a heavy penalty to withdraw their wealth from the country.....Coumo is already on it. I saw him on the glowing rectangle this morning talking this very shit.

This is despotism in its infancy. I hope you younger folks enjoy the young adult version.

Billionaires/multi-millionaires taking their money out of the country, out of U.S. banks makes every average joe's mortgage interest rate, car loan rate and home equity rate go up.

Banking 101

Billionaires/multi-millionaires taking their money out of the country, out of U.S. banks makes every average joe's mortgage interest rate, car loan rate and home equity rate go up.

Banking 101

As I said, this consequence of overburdensome liberal tax policy has the unintended consequence of hurting the middle class.

She's not the first nor will she be the last.

Once the rich are gone that leave the OL'Middle Class to carry the load.

The poor pay for nothing now and certainly won't be paying for anything in the future.

We Better hang onto our wallets folks because Uncle Sam will be headed our way.

The poor pay for nothing now and certainly won't be paying for anything in the future.

I'll only pull that cart so long before I start removing passengers either with the help of the govt or with the help of my fellow cart pullers who feel the load is the passengers responsibilty, not ours.

It isn't going to matter anyway. The country is so far beyond broke it's actually hilarious and amazing we are still the reserve currency (or even still a viable fiat for that matter)

Has anyone looked at the debt clock lately?

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

A couple of figures I find absolutely hilarious.

Debt to GDP = 104.06% :lmao:

US unfunded Liabilities total = 119.6 TRILLION :lmao:

Total National Assets = 90.7 trillion

Houston, I think we have a pretty fucking big problem and it isn't because taxes are too low.

I'll only pull that cart so long before I start removing passengers either with the help of the govt or with the help of my fellow cart pullers who feel the load is the passengers responsibilty, not ours.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

I read the article. Nowhere in it did I see anything about her political affiliations. What makes you think she was a democrat?

I read the article. Nowhere in it did I see anything about her political affiliations. What makes you think she was a democrat?

Actually it did say

"Rich, 68, a Grammy-nominated songwriter and glossy figure in Democratic and European royalty circles, renounced her American passport in November, according to her lawyer."

Another? Who else has done this?

Facebook owner renounced and went to Singapore following the companies IPO, as one other example.

Oh you mean Eduardo Saverin? He didn't get out of paying anything though. He still had to pay taxes on everything he earned while he was a resident of the country. Same as this woman will I'm sure.

And if Coumo has his way they will still pay taxes after they renounce citizenship. Sure, the govt. makes a wealth grab when you leave, but they do not keep nailing you year after year.

Forum List

Back