Another Marine misidentified in the iconic photo

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
You can't blame A.P photographer Joe Rosenthal. By the time he got to Mt. Suribachi the combat Marine photographer told him it was all over. The Marines already raised the Flag but Joe Rosenthal dragged his small framed body and his heavy Speed Graphic press camera up the still dangerous slope anyway. He quickly snapped a photo of a Marine work party raising another larger Flag attached to an old pipe and some victory photos and sent the undeveloped film to the ship. Nobody thought much of it and Rosenthal didn't take the time to identify the Marines. The alleged Flag raisers were literally plucked off the hill and sent on a war bonds tour despite the fact that they must have shown signs of acute PTSD, Ira Hayes did anyway. It wasn't until recently that it was found that the Corpsman in the photo, John Bradley was misidentified and still more recently it seems that Marine PFC Rene Gagnon was misidentified. You can't blame the characters in the iconic Flag raising. It was just a work party and they probably didn't remember who was who anyway.

Cpl Harold "Pie" Keller of Iowa misidentified as PFC Gagnon survived the war as did Gagnon but three of the six Flag raisers would be killed in action in the few days before the Military could pluck the rest for the Bond Drive. Imagine what they were thinking as they were paraded around Hollywood while the battle was still raging. Accounts are that FDR gasped as he read the Iwo Jima casualty list of almost 7,000 Marines killed.

Last edited:
Cpl Harold "Pie" Keller of Iowa misidentified as PFC Gagnon survived the war as did Gagnon but three of the six Flag raisers would be killed in action in the few days before the Military could pluck the rest for the Bond Drive. Imagine what they were thinking as they were paraded around Hollywood while the battle was still raging. Accounts are that FDR gasped as he read the Iwo Jima casualty list of almost 7,000 Marines killed.
..that's what happens when humans are in the ground [ like animals ] and you have to kill them--and they will die fighting
..the Japanese were dug into Iwo..they had to kill around 18,000!!!
..it was a different world....deadly fragments/rounds in the air ....fire......the ''humans'' in the ground ..weapons firing.....

..that's what happens when humans are in the ground [ like animals ] and you have to kill them--and they will die fighting
..it was a different world....deadly fragments/rounds in the air ....fire......the ''humans'' in the ground ..weapons firing.....
That's what happens?

That's what happens?
..yes, --you know in war humans, get killed--you do know that?

Hu
That's what happens?
I guess it's easy for kids who grow up in a video game world to dismiss the carnage of Iwo Jima by saying "humans get killed" and I accept that generalization without being angry about the ignorance. Almost 7,000 Marines were killed in a month taking an island that could have been bypassed while the Japanese were left to starve. There is no evidence that the initial mission was defined as establishing landing strip for crippled bombers on a tiny dot in the Pacific. Landing strips for crippled bombers were already in use. That little bit of propaganda was established after the casualty lists came in. My personal theory is that the Marines were used as an experiment to see how many casualties it would take to overcome an island that the Japanese called their own and had been fortifying for the better part of half a century. The Marines took it but with horrifying casualties while military experts watched safely offshore and took notes.

Hu
That's what happens?
I guess it's easy for kids who grow up in a video game world to dismiss the carnage of Iwo Jima by saying "humans get killed" and I accept that generalization without being angry about the ignorance. Almost 7,000 Marines were killed in a month taking an island that could have been bypassed while the Japanese were left to starve. There is no evidence that the initial mission was defined as establishing landing strip for crippled bombers on a tiny dot in the Pacific. Landing strips for crippled bombers were already in use. That little bit of propaganda was established after the casualty lists came in. My personal theory is that the Marines were used as an experiment to see how many casualties it would take to overcome an island that the Japanese called their own and had been fortifying for the better part of half a century. The Marines took it but with horrifying casualties while military experts watched safely offshore and took notes.
hahahhaahah
....I was in the USMC for 8 years and have researched/read about war for over 40 years
...my father was at the Chosin
..so, humans DON'T get killed in war???!!!
...YOU are thinking in video game/TV terms
...face the fact = humans die in war--plain and simple...if you can't face that fact, then go cry somewhere else
hahahahhahaah

Last edited:
Hu
That's what happens?
hahahhaahah
....I was in the USMC for 8 years and have researched/read about war for over 40 years
...face the fact = humans die in war--plain and simple...if you can't face that fact, then go cry somewhere else
hahahahhahaah
Maybe you should have a little sympathy for the Marines who had the shitty end of the stick in the Pacific war. What does your 40 years of studying war tell you about a direct assault on an impregnable fortress? Bad idea? It seems that the Navy had better things to do than to shell Iwo for the requisite time so it seems the fix was in. The smelly little island could have (should have) been bypassed towards the end of the war but the experts wanted to watch the fun as Marines died taking the first real estate in the Japanese Empire.. You get a feel for the government's attitude when (give 'em hell Harry) Truman repaid the uncommon valor of the Marines when he said "the Marines have a propaganda machine equal to Stalin's" and "The Marines are the Navy's police force and that is what they will remain as long as I am president" Ironically it was the Marines that saved Truman's incompetent ass in Korea after his bumbling senior citizen general led the Army into the biggest ambush in history at Chosin.

Last edited:
This is the Alternate History Forum; in here, all are expected to believe FDR personally ordered them all killed, because Stalin told him to.

And Stuff.

This is the Alternate History Forum; in here, all are expected to believe FDR personally ordered them all killed, because Stalin told him to.

And Stuff.
The Stalin quote belonged to president Truman after the Marines shed so much blood in uncommon valor in the Pacific. FDR was a dying man when democrats managed to fool America and run him for a 4th term. Clearly FDR wasn't in his right mind in Feb. 1945. He died a month later so you tell me who was in charge when we lost about 7,000 Marines storming an island that could have been bypassed.

Last edited:
Hu
That's what happens?
hahahhaahah
hahahahhahaah
Maybe you should have a little sympathy for the Marines who had the shitty end of the stick in the Pacific war. What does your 40 years of studying war tell you about a direct assault on an impregnable fortress? Bad idea? It seems that the Navy had better things to do than to shell Iwo for the requisite time so it seems the fix was in. The smelly little island could have (should have) been bypassed towards the end of the war but the experts wanted to watch the fun as Marines died taking the first real estate in the Japanese Empire.. You get a feel for the government's attitude when (give 'em hell Harry) Truman repaid the uncommon valor of the Marines when he said "the Marines have a propaganda machine equal to Stalin's" and "The Marines are the Navy's police force and that is what they will remain as long as I am president" Ironically it was the Marines that saved Truman's incompetent ass in Korea after his bumbling senior citizen general led the Army into the biggest ambush in history at Chosin.
----hahahahahh-What??!!!
total dumbshit
---the USMC does not need any sympathy --I was in for 8 years--wtf are you saying??!! --it doesn't make sense
..no one saved Truman as the UN forces were forced into a great retreat --a WHOLE corps thrown off the peninsula!!!
..total hahahahah on whatever the F you mean

..the USMC did give the Chinese an A$$ beating so bad, that the Chinese couldn't use the 9th Army group for the next offensive--thereby giving the UN forces some breathing time
..my dad was the Chosin ..I know all about it

Last edited:
Hu
That's what happens?
hahahhaahah
hahahahhahaah
----hahahahahh-What??!!!
total dumbshit
---the USMC does not need any sympathy --I was in for 8 years--wtf are you saying??!! --it doesn't make sense
..no one saved Truman as the UN forces were forced into a great retreat --a WHOLE corps thrown off the peninsula!!!

..the USMC did give the Chinese an A$$ beating so bad, that the Chinese couldn't use the 9th Army group for the next offensive--thereby giving the UN forces some breathing time
Weird inappropriate laughter aside. WTF are you talking about? Too much harmonica?

Hu
hahahhaahah
hahahahhahaah
----hahahahahh-What??!!!
total dumbshit

Weird inappropriate laughter aside. WTF are you talking about? Too much harmonica?
hahhahahhahaha
sympathy??!!! what?

And Stuff.
The Stalin quote belonged to president Truman after the Marines shed so much blood in uncommon valor in the Pacific. FDR was a dying man when democrats managed to fool America and run him for a 4th term. Clearly FDR wasn't in his right mind in Feb. 1945. He died a month later so you tell me who was in charge when we lost about 7,000 Marines storming an island that could have been bypassed.

So FDR was directing the landings personally? What ship was he on?

Too bad you weren't President, since you would never make any bad calls, out of the all the decisions to be made with your perfect judgement and stuff, like all the other Speshul People who post here.

Forum List

Back