Another cover up?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Aug 23, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
  2. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I am actually a little concerned about a cover-up here. It wouldn't be the first time (Mai Ly massacre). It is a shame that it happened, but he clearly did shoot children, and I would rather have a trial determine that he did it unintentionaly (without specific intent, at least).

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    The original claim was all the "victims" were innocent civilians. The reality is at least 8 of those shot and killed were armed men firing on the Marines. There is a mountain of evidence that these Marines were simply following the rules of Engagement and that civilians died in the process. Not because, as was claimed, the Marines were out for revenge, BUT because armed "insurgents" or " terrorists" were firing at them from those buildings.

Where is Murtha to apologize for his accusations against these men before an investigation had even been done? There is no need for a trial when the facts clearly show the claims are simply wishful thinking and propaganda by anti war crowd and by biased Iraq "civilians" out to get more money.

4. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Look, I feel bad for the soldier, but the claims are more than just wishful thinking and propaganda, even if he is completely innocent.

To quote from the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_re_us/marines_haditha

So this boils down to a case of intent.

This is what one of Tatum's fellow Marines said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6786700,00.html

If he knew their were children in the room before he went in, and it turns out they are unarmed, then his intent is certainly open to some question.

I am not saying that he did anything wrong. I have no idea. I just would feel more comfortable if a panel acting as a jury decided the question than I would having one person decide on his level of intent.