And so it begins. Police use of force now under scrutiny.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
In showbiz, the term for going too far is called Jumping the shark. In the military, it's a bridge too far. In society, it's that you've crossed a line. No matter your term, after you've done it, you can't undo it. Once you've gone too far, you are stuck with it, and the results are always bad.

The shooting of Philandro Castile and the acquittal of Officer Yanez is going to be one of those events. It has already begun. I've mentioned before that Hot Air is a conservative site, with conservative pundits, and I've been reading it since it was started by Michelle Malkin, a conservative icon.

This conservative site, with the conservative pundits writing, and the readership being mostly conservative, you would think that some things are automatic. Support for Police being one of those. Yet, thanks to the acquittal of Officer Yanez, that is now slipping.

This is the first one.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile - Hot Air

Second one from the same writer.

The Philando Castile shooting: Why was it reasonable for the cop to be nervous but not for Castile to be? - Hot Air

And a third one from a second writer.

Yes, the NRA (and all of us) should be speaking out on the Philando Castile shooting - Hot Air

Two conservative pundits at a conservative site are troubled by the shooting, and the decision of the jury. Think about that for a moment. This isn't one where you could claim that the guy who got shot was a thug who asked for it. It wasn't one where the baddie threatened the cop. It was a lawful gun owner who advised the officer that he was armed legally, and then carried out the instructions he was given. To produce his drivers license and registration.

Yanez should have said. "Sir, step out of the car and keep your hands where I can see them." He should have removed Castile from the car and disarmed him if he was worried. But reaching for a wallet is a completely natural action when the officer asks for your identification. I don't carry mine around on a string or taped to my forehead. I keep my license in my wallet. I bet Yanez keeps his license in the wallet too.

So what happened? The police used the same excuses they always use. Yanez was afeared for his life. That fear gives him the Carte Blanche authority to do anything. Up to now, that has worked for a lot of the people. Now, people are starting to question it. That is why I titled this thread, And so it begins.

Because it is going to be questioned, and although most people will decide that it really can't be changed, some are going to wonder why not. The questioning of authority will continue to grow. The resentment of the police, and doubts about the current standards will grow.

Yanez got off, because he was "afeared" for his life. And that has left a bad taste in the mouths of the people who traditionally support the police. And so it begins.

In showbiz, the term for going too far is called Jumping the shark. In the military, it's a bridge too far. In society, it's that you've crossed a line. No matter your term, after you've done it, you can't undo it. Once you've gone too far, you are stuck with it, and the results are always bad.

The shooting of Philandro Castile and the acquittal of Officer Yanez is going to be one of those events. It has already begun. I've mentioned before that Hot Air is a conservative site, with conservative pundits, and I've been reading it since it was started by Michelle Malkin, a conservative icon.

This conservative site, with the conservative pundits writing, and the readership being mostly conservative, you would think that some things are automatic. Support for Police being one of those. Yet, thanks to the acquittal of Officer Yanez, that is now slipping.

This is the first one.

Dashcam footage: The shooting of Philando Castile - Hot Air

Second one from the same writer.

The Philando Castile shooting: Why was it reasonable for the cop to be nervous but not for Castile to be? - Hot Air

And a third one from a second writer.

Yes, the NRA (and all of us) should be speaking out on the Philando Castile shooting - Hot Air

Two conservative pundits at a conservative site are troubled by the shooting, and the decision of the jury. Think about that for a moment. This isn't one where you could claim that the guy who got shot was a thug who asked for it. It wasn't one where the baddie threatened the cop. It was a lawful gun owner who advised the officer that he was armed legally, and then carried out the instructions he was given. To produce his drivers license and registration.

Yanez should have said. "Sir, step out of the car and keep your hands where I can see them." He should have removed Castile from the car and disarmed him if he was worried. But reaching for a wallet is a completely natural action when the officer asks for your identification. I don't carry mine around on a string or taped to my forehead. I keep my license in my wallet. I bet Yanez keeps his license in the wallet too.

So what happened? The police used the same excuses they always use. Yanez was afeared for his life. That fear gives him the Carte Blanche authority to do anything. Up to now, that has worked for a lot of the people. Now, people are starting to question it. That is why I titled this thread, And so it begins.

Because it is going to be questioned, and although most people will decide that it really can't be changed, some are going to wonder why not. The questioning of authority will continue to grow. The resentment of the police, and doubts about the current standards will grow.

Yanez got off, because he was "afeared" for his life. And that has left a bad taste in the mouths of the people who traditionally support the police. And so it begins.
The problem seems to be that the CCW person needs to be better trained in how to identify himself to the LEO and I still can not understand where this guys wallet is or was during the incident, you do understand without all the info it is hard to come up with a conclusion of what happened. I still wonder who trained this officer since he stood in the wrong place to do a traffic cop. It use to be you stood just to the rear of the front door opening, this made the driver twist in his seat and kept him off balance, and made getting a weapon out was hard to do. Now the Progressives will play the incident up without either knowing or not putting out the information. I have seen the dash cam and the officer was wrong in the location he stood, If the suspect was playing "show and tell" then he was either stupid or nuts. Those are the two questions I have at this time. I have many problems with Police depts and how the training has changed over the pass many years it has become Progressive in nature, which does not work.

If you don't beleive that many conservatives and NRA supporters are royally mother trucking pissed off you need to read more conservative websites. Maybe listen to some conservative talkers like Buck Sexton on America Now.

And needless to say C&C supporters are appalled by the decision in the Castile shooting. Worst nightmare for them.

ETA: examples.

I'm just stunned. This guy hadn't robbed a convenience store. He wasn't driving a stolen car. He didn't fight the cop.

— EducatédHillbilly™ (@RobProvince) June 16, 2017

He was pulled over

Told the cop he had a CCW

Followed every command.

‘Every concealed carrier’s worst nightmare’: Officer acquitted in shooting death of Philando Castile

It seems fair to ask what this case means for concealed carry permit holders.

Shouldn't the 2A types be really upset by this? The guy was legally carrying a firearm and was still shot. Drew McCoy on Twitter

— Drew McCoy (@_Drew_McCoy_) June 16, 2017

This is every concealed carrier's worst nightmare. Hard to see how justice was served here. Tom Jackman on Twitter

— Sean Davis (@seanmdav) June 16, 2017

This is the part that sticks in my mind. Gun safety classes teach you to tell the cops when you're carrying. He did. Minnesota Officer Acquitted in Killing of Philando Castile pic.twitter.com/KE0G5NITXB

— Sarah Rumpf (@rumpfshaker) June 16, 2017

I'd like to hear from police officers (esp. those who train other cops) on how they think people should inform them they're carrying. /2

Because I don't see how the way #PhilandoCastile did it was wrong. Am I missing something? I don't think so. /3

I worry this case creates an incentive (a very understandable incentive!) to NOT disclose weapons when asked by police. /4

In a lot of these cases, it's obvious why the officer was in fear & what the deceased did wrong. Castile seems to have done none of that. Sarah Rumpf on Twitter

— Dan McLaughlin (@baseballcrank) June 16, 2017

Cops should be held to the same self defense standard as any CCW carrier. If I can't fire. They can't fire.

That's not hard.

More at link:

'Concealed carrier's worst nightmare': Officer acquitted in death of Philando Castile

Last edited:
Cops are murdering people and this same claim, "I was afraid", means they hold no responsibility.

I used to have huge respect for the police, I do not anymore. I think many are good people and good cops, but the bad ones are allowed to prosper without being weeded out. How does a cop shoot a man reaching for id and he is shot dead and the cop faces no consequences?

The police in the US need to be EXTREME VETTED, the losers and cowards fired, and the rest retrained on how to properly SERVE the public. It's a dangerous job, you too scared to do it without unloading on an innocent man in a car with a woman and a toddler then get the fuck out. Go flip burgers.

Forum List

Back