And so it begins. 2 black teens in Sanford FL attacks and almost kills a 50 year old

Ok - people are marching in the streets saying "arrest Zimmerman."
If you have arrested Zimmerman - would you maybe put out a press release or something?

Speculating about what "this means" or what "that means" isn't settling anything. Actually, trying to interpreting videos or letting the media decide for you isn't settling anything either.

I want to hear it from the police "we placed Zimmerman under arrest" or a report quoting a PD spokesman saying "yeah, we arrested him."

Let's put this arrested semantics fight to bed:

Being Handcuffed by the Police Doesn't Necessarily Mean You're Under Arrest : West Palm Beach Criminal Lawyer Blog

Buggerreb is full of shit. Just a head's up.
Then Florida is different than Virginia.

In Virginia, if you are cuffed by the cops, you are under arrest.

In fact, I know of a case where a person was arrested (this account from my attorney). After he was cuffed and put in the cruiser, the cops decided to give him a field sobriety test. They had to take the cuffs off to do so. He failed the field sobriety test. However, that charge was thrown out because the judge said that the sobriety test has to be voluntary, under our law.

The judge asked the cops if they unarrested the person when they took the cuffs off. The cops said that of course not; they did not unarrest him. And, the judge threw out the charges of drunk in public. because when under arrest, your volition is removed.

The other charges never made it to trial because the Commonwealth attorney didn't choose to pursue it.

This is just an anecdote, so nothing of substance.
I know someone that was taken into protective custody, cuffed, and given a ride to the mental hospital in the back of a police car. He was never under arrest.

Cops can cuff you if they think you are a danger to yourself or others while they detain you. It doesn't mean that you are under arrest.
True. But that wasn't the case in what I posted.

Nor was it for me.

I'm not reading all these pages. Did these kids say the attack was retribution? Or was this just a couple of thugs acting normally?

If you consider beating a man almost to death with a hammer normal, victim's in the ICU, you could probably say the thugs were acting normally. Somehow, smashing someone to death with a carpentry tool just doesn't fall into the "normal" category in my book, but...whatever....

Unfortunately it is far too "normal" for many of these thugs

While that is true, I don't consider thugs as normal people. That probably makes me a racist somehow, but sobeit.

If you consider beating a man almost to death with a hammer normal, victim's in the ICU, you could probably say the thugs were acting normally. Somehow, smashing someone to death with a carpentry tool just doesn't fall into the "normal" category in my book, but...whatever....

Unfortunately it is far too "normal" for many of these thugs

While that is true, I don't consider thugs as normal people. That probably makes me a racist somehow, but sobeit.

I was one of those thugs as a young man and I am white.

I'm sorry bud but that decision is on your shoulders, not the media or anyone else

yo...read what I wrote...

I cheated my son out of a great education

Boldened part.

you intentionally ignoring the part where I said MYSELF INCLUDED?

The media rushed to judgment and therefore I did...and I learned from it....which was the point of my post.

What the hell is your freaking angle here?

Obama & Holder raid and arrest the Black Panthers yet? Probably not huh?

Seriously? The New Black Panthers are obama and Holder's de facto brown shirt enforcers.

no...but the DoJ is supposed to takew action against those that NATIONALLY announce a bounty in the head of any human being residing in the US.

True. I still won't hold my breath waiting for the DoJ to take legally correct action against some of their own. Interesting, because I've seen speculation that Zimmerman's judge daddy has been reported as having shielded his son from prosecution.

I will make a correction here I have been making statements with what I had been trained with under North Carolina law. After doing some research on Florida law in regards to being arrested, I don't think Zimmerman was arrested.

According to Florida Statute 776.032 :
776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use
of force.—
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is
justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action
for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law
enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance
of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance
with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have
known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the
term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or
prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the
use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the
person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the
force that was used was unlawful.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Zimmerman was not, nor has not been placed under arrest to date.
Was he read his Miranda rights? Answer: no.

I will make a correction here I have been making statements with what I had been trained with under North Carolina law. After doing some research on Florida law in regards to being arrested, I don't think Zimmerman was arrested.

of force.—
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is
justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action
for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law
enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance
of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance
with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have
known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the
term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or

person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the
Great find.

And, it does appear other states and commonwealths are different.

Most of you in this thread have no fucking idea what your talking about. Being a thug is not confined to race. It is not determined by political ideology. It is a product of ones upbringing. Some escape the lifestyle but most don't. As a youth I stole cars, sold drugs, hurt people with all manner of weapons from bow and arrow to a car bumper jack. Most of the time it was for no other reason that to gain attention and or perceived fame among peers. I didn't care what color the victim was or who he voted for.

So many of you want to define individuals by race and politics but MOST times neither have anything to do with it or them. Most crrimes are crimes of convenience. Easy target for easy pay off.

This, no matter how hard you try, doesn't fit into a political box. Trying to assign political motivation to a random act of violence is as dumb as assigning the term hate to a crime.

of force.—

Great find.

And, it does appear other states and commonwealths are different.

Yes it appears individual states have different arrest procedures

he should have been read his MR's for he was arrested at the scene.
Here is the link...and it quotes Padowitz..who most certainly would know.

Daily Kos: George Zimmerman WAS Arrested At The Scene of Trayvon Martin Killing

I hope this helps.
Big Reb just posted the statute in Florida. In Florida, it looks like they define arrest differently than most other states, and have a different procedure for it.

You blame others for the reason behind your decision. I have no sympathy for that. I am sad for your son however.

perhaps I did not articulate it well enough.

I most certainly blamed myself for allowing others rush to judgment to affect my thinking.

The media rushed to jjudgment and I used that infomration to make my decision.

No matter how you want to spin it, I know what my intent was of my post.

I blame no one but myself for rushing to judgment...but I allowed the media to sway my decision...I ALLOWED the media....I ALLOWED the media

But it was my decision in the end.

Do not lecture me about personal responsibility. I am one who tends to lecture others about it.

Sorry if my post confused you.

I will try to articulate my thoughts better in the future.

I hope this helps.

Jarhead they may not have arrested him, but I do recall the investigator wanting to charge him but the state attorney did not.
Right now it's a 50/50 chance that he was arrested.

I hope this helps.

Jarhead they may not have arrested him, but I do recall the investigator wanting to charge him but the state attorney did not.
Right now it's a 50/50 chance that he was arrested.

I just completed reading the report.

It does not say he was arrested.....bit he was taken into custody..his weapon was confiscated and he was cuffed and transported agauinst his will. This is unusual for in most other states, such is deemed an arrest.

A total of 6 witnesses were interviewed at the scene....over the course of SEVEN hours Their names have been blacked out of the report (as they should have been).

It is an interesting report....and I am njot a lawyer and I dont know all of the subsequenbt evidence found and reviewed.....but there seems to be a very proper following of protocol...nothing seems to be hidden.

You blame others for the reason behind your decision. I have no sympathy for that. I am sad for your son however.

perhaps I did not articulate it well enough.

I most certainly blamed myself for allowing others rush to judgment to affect my thinking.

The media rushed to jjudgment and I used that infomration to make my decision.

No matter how you want to spin it, I know what my intent was of my post.

I blame no one but myself for rushing to judgment...but I allowed the media to sway my decision...I ALLOWED the media....I ALLOWED the media

But it was my decision in the end.

Do not lecture me about personal responsibility. I am one who tends to lecture others about it.

Sorry if my post confused you.

I will try to articulate my thoughts better in the future.

I wasn't confused at all. You started this off by questioning my judgement. I think you're a fair minded person albeit a bit full of yourself. But hey, whatever works for you.

Later

Forum List

Back