CDZ And people have the gall to talk about how they've been "left behind," about what they can't do...

Well, can't blame them, since that's the attitude that has worked so well for Wall Street and hedge fund managers for many many decades, since the Lincoln years. It's only natural that everybody else would want to emulate the top 1%'ers and a bunch of screw off nutjobs in academia. Why not copy those who are 'successful' by modern materialist standards?

Such is the nature of their unfortunate misnomer in assuming "emulate" has any connection to their actual state of being in reference to reality.

Well, it's certainly true the exact tactics they would have to use to rob banks and the like is entirely different, but it's all in the attitude, and 'hard work' is guaranteed to fail these days, since the 'Successful' have now thoroughly destroyed the 'evil WASP work ethic' once and for all in this country. Yes, I know a lot of Burb Brats run around claiming to be 'hard working' and 'self made N Stuff', but that tired old nonsense just never seems to stand up to deeper examination.

Maybe we should clarify what we're talking about.

I'm talking about any individual or group that is complaining about their inability to obtain a "good paying" job as a result of the domestic and trade policies that have been implemented in the U.S.
So, Let them eat cake?
I've read your reply, but it doesn't address my underlying question. Please explain how, in another of your threads yesterday, you argued that being very good at one thing doesn't generalize to whatever field of study you wish, yet here you argue that if someone was a skilled machinist in a paper mill for twenty years and knew it inside out, but the mill closed, somehow he is expected to become a talented musician or arborist and make it to the top?
A skilled machinist can get a job anywhere.

The U.S. Occupations at Greatest Risk of a Labor Shortage

That's the problem. Those without skills:

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

Hillary Clinton wants to educate Americans to fill those jobs that actually exist.

Trump wants to bring jobs back from China. Jobs that don't exist. He's just lying. Flat out lying.

I'm talking about any individual or group that is complaining about their inability to obtain a "good paying" job as a result of the domestic and trade policies that have been implemented in the U.S.
So, Let them eat cake?
I've read your reply, but it doesn't address my underlying question. Please explain how, in another of your threads yesterday, you argued that being very good at one thing doesn't generalize to whatever field of study you wish, yet here you argue that if someone was a skilled machinist in a paper mill for twenty years and knew it inside out, but the mill closed, somehow he is expected to become a talented musician or arborist and make it to the top?

Hillary Clinton wants to educate Americans to fill those jobs that actually exist.

Trump wants to bring jobs back from China. Jobs that don't exist. He's just lying. Flat out lying.
I presume you have nothing holding you down where you are.
Like an underwater mortgage, one or more leased vehicles that you can't pay off, family obligations.
Sure, we got it.

We're trying to tell you, it's not true out there for a whole lot of people right now. It's not that they're lazy or disinterested; the jobs aren't there and the people are being told the jobs aren't there because the businesses that used to fuel our economy have moved overseas.

The central point of what I've been writing is that none of us has to like the realities we face, but face them we must. It may be easy to do; it may be hard to do. It is yet must be done.
  • The nature of our economy has changed. One must change with it.
  • Guns aren't themselves the problem or the cause of it, but that doesn't mean that mean I think that every "Tom, Dick and Harry" should have one when I have no current means to tell whether "Toms" are okay to have one and "Harrys" are not.
  • Humans may or may not be the cause of climate change, but seeing as it is happening, if we don't try to do something about it, it's our fault if later we find out that what we might have done would have helped. It's too late then given the nature and scale of the effects of unabated planetary climate change.
  • The notion of destroying a fetus is sickening, but if the alternative is that the expectant parent(s) and the child must live in a compromised situation, that is even worse for it means there will be two/three "messes" running around instead of just one/two.
One need not do it all alone, but do it one/we must.

Red:
I agree...manufacturing jobs aren't there. I'm not nor have I been claiming they are not.

The jobs that are there are those like but not limited specifically to these:

Blue:
I agree that to the extent manufacturing jobs used to fuel our economy, many of those jobs no longer exist within the borders of the U.S.

There is no doubt in my mind that the jobs that today fuel our economy are service jobs such as the ones listed above. In addition, there are entertainment and media industry jobs. There's no dearth of them.

What makes you think having no hands and feet is an intellectual disability?
It's not; I shouldn't have written that. He's got a physical disability that makes it all but impossible for him to perform a variety of the manufacturing jobs that folks want and that make it impossible for him to perform a great many service jobs that are available.

The point of mentioning him at all is to say that he has looked at and taken what abilities he has and made the most of them instead of griping about what someone else did that makes it impossible for him to thrive. That is something everyone can do, whether they do it 100% on their own or seek input in getting it done. Indeed, I suspect there are few if any advisors who would have known or conceived what to suggest to Mr. Gilbert given his unique situation. Personal/job development advisors would not have the same uncertainty/challenge assisting just about everyone else.

I don't believe any amount of discussion here will convince you that your argument is not completely and totally reasonable

This isn't about what I think is reasonable. I'm not arguing about what is or is not reasonable. I'm writing about is:

• The nature and quantity of "good jobs" that are available now.
  • What folks should have done at some point in the past, could have done because they are at least "average" of intellect and physical ability, and that, by nobody else's hand, they did not do.
  • What folks, even having not done those things, can and must do now in order to get one of the widely abundant "good jobs" that exist.
  • The fact that whether one likes having or wants to retool themselves isn't the point. What is the point is that retooling oneself is what one must do to extricate oneself from one's current situation that one likes even less than having to retool oneself.
  • If one didn't, for whatever reason, didn't heed the signs "then," doing so now, though late, is still better than not doing so at all and just beefing about what "used to be."

You will blame them. I will not.

You call it blame and I call it accountability. Very similar, but principly the same.
  • When I hit someone's car, I'm to blame.
  • When a tornado destroys my home, I'm not to blame.
  • If I build/buy my home on a "known to me" floodplain or fault line and the plain floods or the earth quakes, I'm to blame. Why? Because I knew about the situation yet I built my home there anyway even though I knew the earth would sooner or later quake or flood. If it floods and I didn't buy flood insurance, whatever befalls me (the house) is still my fault.
  • When I build/buy my home and don't bother to find out whether the site is in a floodplain or has a fault running under it, I'm to blame when the flood or earthquake destroys it. Why? Because I know the earth floods and quakes, and I didn't need to be a genius to know that, yet I didn't even ask the questions to find out whether the land is amidst a floodplain or quake zone.
  • When I go to a mall and someone starts shooting at random and kills, the shooter is to blame, not I.
  • When a company refuses to competitively generate profits and fails, that is the company managers' fault.
So am I saying that when one didn't do what one should have and could have done that oneself is to blame? Yes. Am I saying that blame is rightly attributable sometimes to others? Yes. Am I saying that one's failing to transform to "fit" with the changed economy, it is rightly one's own fault? Yes. Am I saying that one is unjustified in blaming others -- companies, governments, etc. -- for one's failure to transform? Yes.

As others have often noted...With great freedom comes great responsibility. I happen to call that "risk of being held accountable," which again is semantic, but it's the same principle with slightly different words.

Well who rightly must bear whatever blame there is to be borne?
  • Can one rightly blame company managers for doing the main thing their companies exist to do, which is make profits? I don't think so.
  • Can one blame government leaders for driving and promoting our continued economic and technological advancement? I don't think so.
  • Must one blame oneself for not "getting with the program" and transforming oneself as the economy changes? I absolutely think so.

So, Let them eat cake?

I can get a job anywhere paying middle class wages, the problem is you have to start them young and liberals ruined generations of kids by saying it is ok for single mothers.

God damn all the tech training in the world can't teach kids the basic mechanical appitutde.

So, Let them eat cake?

I'm sure I used the wrong name for a guy who learned on the job to operate and maintain a paper mill machine, it's probably not a machinist. But around here, anyway, mills are closing left and right. And one question, who is to say Nabisco and Ford and Whomever can't come back and make their stuff here? Mainers used to make great shoes. They've gone out of business because they couldn't compete with cheap stuff from China. We used to produce great woolens. All those mills are closed; couldn't compete. WHY can't some of it come back? (Don't get too complicated, I don't know economics very well).

So, Let them eat cake?

I'm sure I used the wrong name for a guy who learned on the job to operate and maintain a paper mill machine, it's probably not a machinist. But around here, anyway, mills are closing left and right. And one question, who is to say Nabisco and Ford and Whomever can't come back and make their stuff here? Mainers used to make great shoes. They've gone out of business because they couldn't compete with cheap stuff from China. We used to produce great woolens. All those mills are closed; couldn't compete. WHY can't some of it come back? (Don't get too complicated, I don't know economics very well).

You don't want to make a capitalist sell one of their 6 or 7 mansions.

Yet another thread by Sir Copy & Paste.
Boy, you sure didn't read the OP. I would suggest that to you, next time.

The OP was not Copy & Paste.
The post where 320 starts his Talking Points is ALL Copy & Paste.

Post 13.
Thanks. Where do all these Talking Points come from that people are always being accused of using? I mean it. Is there a site or something?

Rush Limbaugh, FoxNews, Reagan, Conservative Talk Radio...I'm not kidding.
Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why, 2011 Edition: Ian Fletcher: 9780578079677: Amazon.com: Books
Read this book and the author quotes a speech from, if I remember correctly, the 1600s or 1700s where the same bullshit was spewing from the elite.
It's as old as mankind.

Post 13.
Thanks. Where do all these Talking Points come from that people are always being accused of using? I mean it. Is there a site or something?

Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why, 2011 Edition: Ian Fletcher: 9780578079677: Amazon.com: Books
Read this book and the author quotes a speech from, if I remember correctly, the 1600s or 1700s where the same bullshit was spewing from the elite.
It's as old as mankind.

If you read it at least give us an abstract..I know my local library don't have IT

I know tariffs and trade wars, the propaganda for it don't work.

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.

If you read it at least give us an abstract..I know my local library don't have IT

Ian Fletcher goes through every Trade Deal the US has ever had and shows how it has resulted in a lopsided Economy.
He explains how the GDP is Smoke and Mirrors.
He explains Tariffs are the SOLE mechanism that works.
Especially as today, the wealthy are SO wealthy that they can afford to move back.
I know MANY people who own at least 4 houses; they can give up one.

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.
Yes.

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.

Ian Fletcher goes through every Trade Deal the US has ever had and shows how it has resulted in a lopsided Economy.
Especially as today, the wealthy are SO wealthy that they can afford to move back.

That was a bad thought out abstract, simple economics 101 teaches about the dangers of trade wars.

I remember when I worked at a Japanese company and the rice wars was going on between California rice and Japanese rice..my Japanese coworkers told me California rice sucks and to expensive...

Jesus Christ rice is rice no matter where it is grown.

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.

That was a bad thought out abstract, simple economics 101 teaches about the dangers of trade wars.

I remember when I worked at a Japanese company and the rice wars was going on between California rice and Japanese rice..my Japanese coworkers told me California rice sucks and to expensive...

Horseshit. How many nations BESIDES the US throw their citizens to the curb like the US?
NONE...nada, not ONE.
All the US has to do is tell every other nation to comply or we stop buying their products.
Asia DEPENDS on the ever vanishing American consumer and that's why China is sinking ever quicker.

And what happened to that bullshit reasoning that Asia (India and China) would catch up with us and EQUIALIZE the Trade Deals?
It's been 40 years.
How long before we KNOW it's all a BIG LIE.

Last edited:

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.
Yes.
The best told lie of Free Trade (Supply Side Economics) is that the low wage nation will eventually catch up.
It never happens because Supply Side Economics DEPENDS on Slave Labor.
And after 40 years we see the lie that Ronald Reagan was paid to tell.

It's as old as mankind.

Horseshit. How many nations BESIDES the US throw their citizens to the curb like the US?
NONE...nada, not ONE.
All the US has to do is tell every other nation to comply or we stop buying their products.
Asia DEPENDS on the ever vanishing American consumer and that's why China is sinking ever quicker.

And what happened to that bullshit reasoning that Asia (India and China) would catch up with us and EQUIALIZE the Trade Deals?)
It's been 40 years.

You are an economic and world current event ignorant idiot, China wages have ever so slowly catching up to us now the chinese manufacturing base is being undercut by countries like Vietnam..

Jesus Christ don't You remember us all laughing about the cheap made in Japan crap of the 70s?

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.
Yes.
The best told lie of Free Trade (Supply Side Economics) is that the low wage nation will eventually catch up.

Again where is all the laughter now about cheap stuff made in Japan?

You my friend are not that bright

Last edited:
It's as old as mankind.

NONE...nada, not ONE.

And what happened to that bullshit reasoning that Asia (India and China) would catch up with us and EQUIALIZE the Trade Deals?)
It's been 40 years.

You are an economic and world current event ignorant idiot, China wages have ever so slowly catching up to us now the chinese manufacturing base is being undercut by countries like Vietnam..

Jesus Christ don't You remember us all laughing about the cheap made in Japan crap of the 70s?

$13.00/day for a FoxConn worker and Farmers paying off officials to leave them on the farm.
I know as a restaurant owner in the neighborhood visits China once a year to pay them off.

Every financial publication has nothing but a shrinking Chinese economy due to poor 1st World demand.

Post 13.

It's as old as mankind.
Yes.

Again where is all the laughter now about cheap shit made in Japan?

You my friend are ignorant...

Unlike the US, Japan got their act together and created a Nationalistic economy.
It seems to have paid off.
Japan doesn't outsource to China like we do even though the elite in Japan wants it to happen.
YOU my friend are ignorant spouting Limbaugh talking points.
You won't even pay for a book.
Conservatism, like Liberalism, is a MENTAL disorder.

Forum List

Back