An Open Letter to High School Students

Esmeralda. You really need to improve your reading skills. I never said I worked at that school... I simply said this is where the incident took place.

Now thanks to DGS49 I think we can put the matter to rest.

Esmeralda. You really need to improve your reading skills. I never said I worked at that school... I simply said this is where the incident took place.

Now thanks to DGS49 I think we can put the matter to rest.

FreddyMuscle said:
Thirty years ago, kids didn't have easy access to the types of weaponry they have today. Schoolyard fights are nothing new, but they used to be settled with fists... then it went to knives... now no one can ever be sure what a kid is carrying. For example, on the first day of this school year, a student pulled out a shot-gun in the cafeteria and proceeded to blast another kid.. not an isolated incident either. On another occassion, I personally disarmed a student that was aiming a handgun at a classmate. The kid with the gun was back in school the next day.

Given the context of your paragraph, the clear suggestion is that this was your school; otherwise, why be so completely non-specific? The first day of school where? In the entire US? In all of Baltimore? Somewhere on Earth? The implication is that you meant your school. But, then again, we all know you do not know how to write clearly, so you wouldn't realize how vague you were being.

William Faulkner does not write in any way like the OP's 'letter.' Nothing like it. Take out some Faulkner and compare it.

Absolum Absolum.?

One of his sentences is over 1200 words long.

You are entitled to you opinions regarding style, of course.

But your opinion that a style of highly complex sentence structure and florid language is archaic is highly misinformed.
If you want to understand Faulkner's style better, I suggest you actually read him, and not just one or two passages from specific works. I recommend The Sound and the Fury and "A Rose for Emily."

I used him to show you that your theory that modern prose style is the only acceptable modern style is misinformed.

If you are hoping to use him as a representative of purple prose, you would be mistaken.

I see that you are objecting to the CONTENT of Freddy's post...i.e. "purple prose".

I really was not addressing content, but simply to your objection to his style.

If you are trying to compare his style to what the OP wrote in his original post, well, all I can say is that it's clear you are not a student of serious literature or knowledgeable about what is considered good writing.

:lol:

But, anyway, I'm not going to continue with this. I do know whereof I speak in this particular discipline and art form. Arguing with people who don't is not interesting or worth my time and effort. It's comparable to stopping on the highway and trying to talk people out of buying velvet Elvis paintings because they are not good art. Not worth the effort or trouble. Believe what you want.

Thank for allowing me to believe what I want.

As far as the OP, he has proven himself as not worthy of a respectful reply.

You object to the point of Freddy's rant ergo you attack him based on your self proclaimed expertise regarding STYLE?

What hubris.

"DGS49 is a faggot cocksucker..."

Dang. Exposed.

Were you able to discern this through my lilting writing style?

Esmeralda,

Oh... so now I'm worthy of a reply. What... do you just turn it on and off as it suits you?
I think it's pretty clear you're willing to say anything to try and make me look bad... but are you really this dim?

"Given the context of your paragraph, the clear suggestion is that this was your school; otherwise, why be so completely non-specific?"

No actually... it wasn't... and I think you answered your own question in an earlier post.

"Interesting. So, he is telling us, on the internet, for 'all the world to see,' so to speak, where he works and what job he holds. So, anyone can look him up. Not very smart. Would a high school teacher be dumb enough to tell everyone on the internet where he works and what specific job he does there?"

I think all this anger goes far beyond anything I have said. Perhaps it's a manifestation of your inability to write as well as I and you're just jealous. Ya think?

Maybe my prose is purple... but you're green with envy.

How's that for velvet Elvis!

Arguing about writing STYLE is simply a waste of time.

There is no accounting for TASTE, folks.

I'm rather fond of the style of 19th century novelists.

Others find the style of some modern authors (like Hemingway as one example) more to their liking.

Neither POV is right or wrong.

Forum List

Back