An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far?

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far?

By Robert Service, ScienceNOW

Researchers have long had high hopes for lithium-air batteries, a device that has the potential to store 10 times more energy than the best lithium-ion batteries on the market today. But so far, lithium-air batteries have been unstable, falling apart after a few charges. Now researchers report that they’ve made the first stable lithium-air batteries. If the batteries can leap other hurdles needed to make them practical, they may one day give electric cars a driving range similar to today’s gas guzzlers.

For lithium-air batteries to operate, several different components all need to work together. As they discharge, lithium atoms at a lithium metal electrode called the anode are stripped of electrons, turning them into mobile lithium ions. These ions then float through a conductive solution, or electrolyte, to a second electrode, called the cathode, where they combine with electrons in the cathode as well as oxygen atoms from the air to generate lithium oxide. When the batteries are plugged into an electrical outlet, the added voltage drives the reaction in reverse, recharging the battery. For the cycle to work, however, the electrodes and electrolytes must be stable.

But that hasn’t been the case in early versions of these cells. The carbon used to make the cathodes and the different electrolytes researchers have tried so far undergo unwanted side reactions, falling apart and quickly causing the battery to fail after just a few charge and discharge cycles.

So for their current work, researchers led by Peter Bruce, a chemist at the University of St. Andrews in the United Kingdom, opted to swap out both of the previous offenders. They replaced the conventional carbon-based cathode material with one made from inert gold nanoparticles that they hoped would be more stable. They also replaced the electrolyte — previously made from compounds called polycarbonates or polyethers — with one made from a common conductive solvent abbreviated DMSO that previous studies had shown may be less prone to react at the cathode. The new combo worked. As the team reports online today in Science, the new batteries were stable for 100 charge and discharge cycles with only a 5 percent loss of power.

“The results are very encouraging in showing that it’s not all hopeless,” to try to make lithium-air batteries, says Linda Nazar, a chemist at the University of Waterloo in Canada. But Nazar and others are quick to add that the new lithium-air batteries aren’t yet ready for commercialization. For starters, Nazar says, gold is too heavy and too expensive to serve as the only cathode material in a practical cell. And over time, DMSO can react with lithium metal at the anode causing the electrolyte to break down. So even though the new results are heartening for the field, considerable work still lies ahead to make lithium-air batteries a real world technology.

An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far? | Wired Science | Wired.com

Far is a relative concept. The current crop of EVs and range extended EVs works fine for Americans commuting less than, say, 40 miles a day. That accounts for 75% of Americans, so even "not quite as far" isn't all that bad it would seem.

It would be nice to go as far as a tank of gas will take a regular car, but then we would probably have to stop and deal with some pesky store to do a quick charge or battery replacement, which would be as annoying as pumping a tank of gas.

Filling up at home is a huge plus to EVs, regardless of range.

There is a lot of resistance to electric vehicles.
Frankly, I have no clue why the general public would object to them.
Technology will advance to the point where these things will be a reasonable alternative for more and more people.
Some just don't see the it or just like to spout crap because they don't have anything better to do.

I can see why the oil companies object.
That bunch are in serious shit if EVs and alternative energy becomes viable.

Technology will advance to the point where these things will be a reasonable alternative for more and more people.
Some just don't see the it or just like to spout crap because they don't have anything better to do.

Actually, as the automobile industry are the main ones likely to be selling EVs and Oil industries are still likely to be the commercial leaders in alternative energy production they will still be the primary beneficiaries of alternative energy success. The only main problem now is all the money they have invested in current systems that they are in no hurry to amortize over shorter periods and all the new investments in infrastructure they will have to make during transition. Therefore a slow transition benefits them more than a quick transition,...but the mostly the same people benefit either way.

I have very little problem with which individuals earn a profit, I'm more concerned with how that profit is generated.

There's resistance to natural gas vehicles and diesel powered vehicles. Both are much more practical and represent the next logical step in transportation fuels.

Largely agreed, though the step time is more than half over for both of those technologies (IMO). I purchased my BLS in the UK back in 2006, it uses a Fiat turbodiesel powerplant that I've had customized to give better performance with biodiesel fuel that is produced locally.I've logged a bit under 50k miles in it over the last six years, it is a pleasure to drive and has been remarkably trouble-free but I am looking around for a replacement vehicle and have given a lot of thought to a pure EV I just don't know if they are up to my needs at this time.

This is just nonsense, as Elon Musk has proven his cars will go between 300-400 mi without needing a charge. This 30 or 40 mile myth is only something that the detractors want to spread and talk about to try and give electrics a bad name.

Furthermore, we now have the science of a Zing air battery that far out rivals lithium ion technology. A zinc-air rechargeable even beats gasoline in its weight to energy ratio, so try again folks your mantra will not work n the truly informed like I!

This is just nonsense, as Elon Musk has proven his cars will go between 300-400 mi without needing a charge. This 30 or 40 mile myth is only something that the detractors want to spread and talk about to try and give electrics a bad name.

Furthermore, we now have the science of a Zing air battery that far out rivals lithium ion technology. A zinc-air rechargeable even beats gasoline in its weight to energy ratio, so try again folks your mantra will not work n the truly informed like I!

The model T ford was imperfect.
Electric starters on cars were imperfect so they still had starting handles.
I'm sure today's electric cars are imperfect.

I see a future without the internal combustion engine on the roads.

Forum List

Back