An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Matthew, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far?

By Robert Service, ScienceNOW

An Electric Car That Actually Goes Far? | Wired Science | Wired.com

2. RGR

RGR VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Far is a relative concept. The current crop of EVs and range extended EVs works fine for Americans commuting less than, say, 40 miles a day. That accounts for 75% of Americans, so even "not quite as far" isn't all that bad it would seem.

It would be nice to go as far as a tank of gas will take a regular car, but then we would probably have to stop and deal with some pesky store to do a quick charge or battery replacement, which would be as annoying as pumping a tank of gas.

Filling up at home is a huge plus to EVs, regardless of range.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a lot of resistance to electric vehicles.
    Frankly, I have no clue why the general public would object to them.
    Technology will advance to the point where these things will be a reasonable alternative for more and more people.
    Some just don't see the it or just like to spout crap because they don't have anything better to do.

I can see why the oil companies object.
    That bunch are in serious shit if EVs and alternative energy becomes viable.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    There's resistance to natural gas vehicles and diesel powered vehicles. Both are much more practical and represent the next logical step in transportation fuels.

5. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Actually, as the automobile industry are the main ones likely to be selling EVs and Oil industries are still likely to be the commercial leaders in alternative energy production they will still be the primary beneficiaries of alternative energy success. The only main problem now is all the money they have invested in current systems that they are in no hurry to amortize over shorter periods and all the new investments in infrastructure they will have to make during transition. Therefore a slow transition benefits them more than a quick transition,...but the mostly the same people benefit either way.

I have very little problem with which individuals earn a profit, I'm more concerned with how that profit is generated.

6. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Largely agreed, though the step time is more than half over for both of those technologies (IMO). I purchased my BLS in the UK back in 2006, it uses a Fiat turbodiesel powerplant that I've had customized to give better performance with biodiesel fuel that is produced locally.I've logged a bit under 50k miles in it over the last six years, it is a pleasure to drive and has been remarkably trouble-free but I am looking around for a replacement vehicle and have given a lot of thought to a pure EV I just don't know if they are up to my needs at this time.

7. lectricgenius

lectricgenius Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just nonsense, as Elon Musk has proven his cars will go between 300-400 mi without needing a charge. This 30 or 40 mile myth is only something that the detractors want to spread and talk about to try and give electrics a bad name.

Furthermore, we now have the science of a Zing air battery that far out rivals lithium ion technology. A zinc-air rechargeable even beats gasoline in its weight to energy ratio, so try again folks your mantra will not work n the truly informed like I!

8. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The model T ford was imperfect.
    Electric starters on cars were imperfect so they still had starting handles.
    I'm sure today's electric cars are imperfect.

I see a future without the internal combustion engine on the roads.