Amtrak Auto Train

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Jarlaxle, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    I would love to ride the whole way...but it is a time thing. Basically: we can make 700 miles while sleeping. (The ride back will be almost 2000 miles.)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    No loaders: you ride the bike onto a transporter (basically, a 2-bike dolly), and watch while it is secured.

3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    That's what I have...2014 1200 Touring. (Just bought, haven't even tagged it yet.) My wife rides a Honda Pacific Coast.

4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,815
    You know, Sportsters are really good bikes, and if you put a decent cam kit in them and get an S and S carb and tune its jets, you can really surprise those who ride the big twins. When I finished tricking out my engine, it was a bike that could go 110 with two people on it, and a bit over 120 with just me. And, because I didn't like the stock look or ride, I changed the rear shocks from the 13" and put on 11", a Corbin 2 person saddle, and forward controls. I hated the cafe racer position that the original controls had. Made me feel like I was riding something that was too tall. With the forward controls, it puts you more into the bike and gives you a better center of balance than stock controls. Capped that off with a fender extension cover and put on big twin split tanks. You can mount the big tanks with a conversion kit (and it's not that expensive). When I finished with my bike, the only way you could tell it was still a Sporty was to look at the transmission, because everywhere else, it looked like a big twin.

5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,402
    I will do the opposite: mine is way too low (the 1200T is based on the Super Low), and I need to RAISE it. Probably going to use Road King rear shocks, which adds about 2". Mechanically, it will stay 100% stock aside from that.

I wish I had been able to find an 883 (in a perfect world, a 2007-8 Roadster) set up for touring