Americans Strongly Favor Religious Displays on Public Lands, Celebrating Religious Ho

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Americans remain overwhelmingly in favor of allowing religious symbols to be displayed on public land and feel even more strongly that public schools should celebrate at least some religious holidays.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 76% of adults believe religious symbols like Christmas Nativity scenes, Hanukkah menorahs and Muslim crescents should be allowed on public land. Just 13% disagree, and another 10% are undecided.

Eighty-three percent (83%) believe public schools should celebrate religious holidays. This figure includes 47% who think the schools should celebrate all religious holidays and another 36% who believe they should only celebrate some. The question did not single out which holidays should be celebrated and which should be excluded.

Only 14% think the public schools should not celebrate any religious holidays.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

Adults across all demographic categories strongly believe that religious symbols should be allowed on public property. Adults ages 18 to 29, for example, are less supportive of the idea than their elders, but even in that age group, 69% are in favor of religious displays on public land.

Those who work for the public, government workers, are less likely to support permitting religious symbols on public land than are those who work in the private sector - 68% to 84%.

Forty-nine percent (49%) of women and 45% of men feel all religious holidays should be honored in the public schools.

Most Democrats (51%) and a plurality (48%) of adults not affiliated with either major political party favor celebrating all religious holidays in the schools. Republicans are more evenly divided between celebrating some and celebrating all.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of African-Americans and 56% of those of other races think all religious holidays should be celebrated in the schools, compared to 43% of whites. Thirty-nine percent (39%) of whites think only some religious holidays should be honored in the public schools, but just 29% of blacks and 28% of those of other races agree.

Americans Strongly Favor Religious Displays on Public Lands, Celebrating Religious Holidays in Schools - Rasmussen Reports™

rasmussen, eh? There was a time when Americans strongly favored hanging ******* from trees too. oh well.

i guess they are cool with satanic, islamic, buddhist and other reglious symbols going up then too?

i guess they are cool with satanic, islamic, buddhist and other reglious symbols going up then too?

dude. this was a resmussen poll. Clearly the only dogmas listed were christianity and hebrew.

We celebrated Christmas at the school when I was a kid. Everyone said Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas was on signs everywhere als. Its still the same Federal holiday. Whats the big deal now????

They should offer Muslim prayer in schools too.

Atheists should be able to post signs explaining why religion is made up nonsense

They should offer Muslim prayer in schools too.

Atheists should be able to post signs explaining why religion is made up nonsense

All this over a christmas song that sings about Rudolf. From what I've been hearing that was a solstice holiday so there isn't anything religious about it.

Americans remain overwhelmingly in favor of allowing religious symbols to be displayed on public land and feel even more strongly that public schools should celebrate at least some religious holidays.

That's the problem. You can't force/allow schools to celebrate 'some' religious holidays. It's an all or nothing proposition.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 76% of adults believe religious symbols like Christmas Nativity scenes, Hanukkah menorahs and Muslim crescents should be allowed on public land. Just 13% disagree, and another 10% are undecided.

Eighty-three percent (83%) believe public schools should celebrate religious holidays. This figure includes 47% who think the schools should celebrate all religious holidays and another 36% who believe they should only celebrate some. The question did not single out which holidays should be celebrated and which should be excluded.

Only 14% think the public schools should not celebrate any religious holidays.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

Adults across all demographic categories strongly believe that religious symbols should be allowed on public property. Adults ages 18 to 29, for example, are less supportive of the idea than their elders, but even in that age group, 69% are in favor of religious displays on public land.

Those who work for the public, government workers, are less likely to support permitting religious symbols on public land than are those who work in the private sector - 68% to 84%.

Forty-nine percent (49%) of women and 45% of men feel all religious holidays should be honored in the public schools.

Most Democrats (51%) and a plurality (48%) of adults not affiliated with either major political party favor celebrating all religious holidays in the schools. Republicans are more evenly divided between celebrating some and celebrating all.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of African-Americans and 56% of those of other races think all religious holidays should be celebrated in the schools, compared to 43% of whites. Thirty-nine percent (39%) of whites think only some religious holidays should be honored in the public schools, but just 29% of blacks and 28% of those of other races agree.

Americans Strongly Favor Religious Displays on Public Lands, Celebrating Religious Holidays in Schools - Rasmussen Reports™

I really don't see any problem with constitutionality of allowing religious items to exist in public spaces since the first amendment was designed to prevent the creation of a state church that would squeeze out other churches. That is why it is called separation of church and state because both organizations could not intermingle with the other. This does not prevent the religious beliefs being expressed in one and political beliefs being expressed in the other but kept the organizations themselves separate thus allowing each one to coexist witch is how the first amendment protects your right to religious beliefs.

the majority always favors its own displays.... i'm pretty sure those same people would have a nervous breakdown if it were islamic symbols being displayed.

that's why they aren't allowed to do it on the government dime.

When I saw the title of this thread, "Americans Strongly Favor Religious Displays on Public Lands, Celebrating Religious Ho," I tried as hard as I could to think of which "religious ho" Americans would be celebrating...

the majority always favors its own displays.... i'm pretty sure those same people would have a nervous breakdown if it were islamic symbols being displayed.

yet the government pays people for the holiday and forces private employers to pay time and half for a religious holiday....christmas....

Last night I was flipping channels and saw there was an Oprah special "Christmas at the White House" I watched for one of the segments as Michelle and Oprah walked around and described all of the extravagant Christmas decorations and the HUGE tree they put in there, etc.

Wonder what happens if the president wants to celebrate a different winter holiday? :eusa_think:

Last night I was flipping channels and saw there was an Oprah special "Christmas at the White House" I watched for one of the segments as Michelle and Oprah walked around and described all of the extravagant Christmas decorations and the HUGE tree they put in there, etc.

Wonder what happens if the president wants to celebrate a different winter holiday? :eusa_think:

You mean like sacrificing virgins to celebrate the winter solstice? There might be problems getting that organized, but Oprah could probably arrange it.

She knows people.

See post #2.

yet the government pays people for the holiday and forces private employers to pay time and half for a religious holiday....christmas....

And they shouldn't....just like schools should not have Sunday off.

Forum List

Back