Americans are Unhealthy because...

That's so we don't die of ptomaine.

Which reminds me...the other thing my mother always did was boil all canned goods, including store bought ones, 20 minutes MINIMUM. And the reason was...ptomaine. She wouldn't let us eat food out of a can, unless it was fruit.

And even fruit, she often boiled. She used to boil plums and prunes, yummy....

Its always interesting how liberals react to the concept that ones own personal choice determines the outcome of anyone. They either blame government laws that never regulate enough or corporations for feeding them (apparently against their will).

I would think that being "liberal" by definition they would be people who understand the power people have about the free choices they can make over their own lives. Yet, it seems to be a foreign concept to them....Perhaps they are really not liberals but something else.

Following normal logic around here. I am supposed to blame liberals for the entitlement mentality which has led to inactivity, being overweight and ultimately unhealthy. Then the liberals blame Bush. So, I guess its Bush's fault. Everyone happy?

Its always interesting how liberals react to the concept that ones own personal choice determines the outcome of anyone. They either blame government laws that never regulate enough or corporations for feeding them (apparently against their will).

I would think that being "liberal" by definition they would be people who understand the power people have about the free choices they can make over their own lives. Yet, it seems to be a foreign concept to them....Perhaps they are really not liberals but something else.

Unregulated corporations have a name.

The Mafia.

I can't believe I wasted my time actually reading this

Have you seen the TV ad dramatizing how a $.05 tax on soda would be such an extreme hardship it would be on this svelte woman, unloading groceries from a brand new car, walking toward a starter castle? Hey lady, just don't buy the SODA if you can't afford it. :cuckoo:

I get it. All perfect society. Abort the crippled, be thin, don't smoke, don't be rich, get the government to parent you.

No, just don't make personal choices that will cost ME money because I need to subsidize your medical bills because you can't control your addictions.

After looking at all the numbers about how unhealthy Americans are and the call to action because we are so fat in this country I came to the conclusion that it really has nothing to do with one's own personal health but an effort to shape society to some desired outcome.

I am sure many of us know people who's health is rated #1 when compared to the average citizen in other countries while we also know many who will be rated at #1000. That difference between #1 and #1000 is not the product of the collective will but a product of the individual choices that any one person can make over their own lives. The fault about why the average American is unhealthier than others in other countries is not the byproduct of a government program but is the dynamic outcome of people's individual choice over their own lives.

We could eliminate free choice in favor of government control because "free choice" failed to produce the optimable results but to do so would remove one more element of control over our own lives. This is why the argument about free-enterprise or free-choice over ones own health should never be about results because do so always puts us in a race between ourselves and government and when we lose (such as is the case with an economic collapse or our butts get fatter) the government wins the debate and we lose another freedom.

The truth is is that bad choices are inevitable whether they come from the government or from the individual but the right to make those choices are the cost of living in a free society. So, I would like to say that the reason why Americans are unhealthy is because we are executing the right over own lives and no matter what the outcome is that right can't be removed from us.

What in the world are you talking about? :doubt:

Unregulated corporations have a name.

The Mafia.

They have the biggest regulation of all and that is the fact that its illegal for them to exist.

PS...we're fat because we eat too much. Food is cheap and plentiful, easily accessible, and continually advertised so when we see something that takes our fancy we can hop in our cars and drive around the corner and pick it up.

I blame television. And cars.

No, we're fat for two reasons:

1. Genetics ... humans just get fat sometimes.

2. Bad eating ... we eat too much preservatives and non-digestible chemicals.

3. Overeating of things that taste good.

Americans are fat because

1. They do not have much self-control.

2. More so, corporations market to Americans in a manner to trigger physiological responses that make it difficult to exert self-control. We are all wired for survival, and advertisers play to those deep, innate responses so you will buy more food.

I get it. All perfect society. Abort the crippled, be thin, don't smoke, don't be rich, get the government to parent you.

No, just don't make personal choices that will cost ME money because I need to subsidize your medical bills because you can't control your addictions.

Thats the cost of living in a free society because whatever choice I make over my own life will always have an impact somewhere on someone else. That is inescapable because we do not live in a bubble where our decisions have no affect on others but I actually choose to live with the "effect" in order to preserve a free society where people can make their own decisions.

2. More so, corporations market to Americans in a manner to trigger physiological responses that make it difficult to exert self-control. We are all wired for survival, and advertisers play to those deep, innate responses so you will buy more food.

This is true but I like eating all the unhealthy foods and so do a lot of people. They make that choice while others choose not to but since the food consuming public has essentially outvoted the healthy eaters the corps make the foods that they want. Its almost like democracy.

:disagree:
What about medical conditions? Insulin resistance, fatigue, menopause, lack of sleep, stress. And a lot of medications can cause weight gain too. Meds for depression, blood pressure, depression, mood disorders, migraines, diabetes. Most of the meds given for these problems can cause folks to gain weight. It's not always about self-control, or commericals.

PS...we're fat because we eat too much. Food is cheap and plentiful, easily accessible, and continually advertised so when we see something that takes our fancy we can hop in our cars and drive around the corner and pick it up.

I blame television. And cars.

I blame the government.

and donuts.

Thats the cost of living in a free society because whatever choice I make over my own life will always have an impact somewhere on someone else. That is inescapable because we do not live in a bubble where our decisions have no affect on others but I actually choose to live with the "effect" in order to preserve a free society where people can make their own decisions.

Right. Just so long as you're happy and content with your lifestyle (which might have an effect on others), screw everybody else. I got mine. That attitude represents selfishness, not "freedom." This whole new concept of "freedom" has been seriously distorted lately.

What about medical conditions? Insulin resistance, fatigue, menopause, lack of sleep, stress. And a lot of medications can cause weight gain too. Meds for depression, blood pressure, depression, mood disorders, migraines, diabetes. Most of the meds given for these problems can cause folks to gain weight. It's not always about self-control, or commericals.

Guess it depends what your medicating with, drugs or twinkees?

Guess it depends what your medicating with, drugs or twinkees?

What I'm saying is; there are millions of people in the United States on one, or more of these medications. You don't have to be stuffing yourself with twinkees, pasta, or bread to gain weight. In many cases people can exercise til the cows come home and still not lose any weight. A lot of weight gain does have to do with diet, but there are thousands of diets and most of them cost a small fortune to keep up too:: Jenny Craig=$400 per month, or more. NutriSystem=$400 per month or more.

These diets work but they also require a lot of money to stay on them. People who live in poverty tend to buy foods they can cook a lot of and foods that will last more than 1 day, or through more than one meal. There are very few healthy foods out there that don't cost a lot of money. Has anyone been to the grocery lately besides me? :disbelief:

Go to Europe. They take all those drugs and you don't see as many fat people.

They also don't have 1000 chains like IHOP trying to sell you 2000 calories in one meal.

Also, the South is fatter than the rest of the nation. Is that because people take more drugs in the South, or is it because we exercise less and eat worse food?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back