American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus -- And Demands to Be Heard

It all goes back to the same basic issues. Those on the right think we can fix everything by cutting spending without raising taxes. Those on the left think we should just raise taxes. And the only logical solution is that we do some of both. But, until those on the far right and left leave fantasy island and join the real world again, things will just continue on the same path.

How much higher to taxes need to be before we admit that we don't have a revenue problem and that we have a spending problem?

Waaaay too high of math for Democrats.

your right , we should stop giving money to corporation to privet schools to industry all together , farmers grow or don't . no subsidies .
repigs wont do that ,
stop sending jobs over seas without tax penalties tariffs ,

cut down on military spending , get out of the middle east , stop tax refund checks ,

flat fair percentage tax on all . no deductions . STOP tax breaks for the rich .

for everyone .

get ride of public schools , you got a kid ? you fucking pay for it . not me .

how that dick head math good enough now ?

no federal assistance for anyone .

am I thinking like you ?

what a lump of shit you are . you think you sound so intelligent Ooooooooooooooooo

but you didn't learn this , not all democrats are liberals , not all repigs are neocon ass wipes like your self . some repig are more liberal then dems .

but dems will work with repigs, but repig wont work with dem even if its good for us . they only care about their party . like you a selfish ass hole .
now go cry to the dickhead moniter .

How about all that money and interest we owe to the Fed when it should not be involved with our money at all?

"We" own the Fed. The Fed kicks back $40 billion each year to the Treasury.

And no, don't post some dummy's opinion that the government doesn't own the Fed.

When President John Fitzgerald Kennedy - the author of Profiles in Courage -signed this Order, it returned to the federal government, specifically the Treasury Department, the Constitutional power to create and issue currency -money - without going through the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank. President Kennedy's Executive Order 11110 [the full text is displayed further below] gave the Treasury Department the explicit authority: "to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury."

John-F-Kennedy.net - John F. Kennedy vs The Federal Reserve

1963$5UnitedStatesNoteSnA51298086A.jpg

I'm sorry, did you say FDR ended the Great Depression? What year did that occur?

The bottom of the Great Depression was March 1933.

Note that all it takes to reverse real history for a con is for some con to claim it has changed.

Thats all the evidence they need to completely reverse the hisotry that millons lived.

The people who LIVED through the great depression loved FDR because they saw in their homes and businesses the recovery.

These guys dont care, to hell with that whole generation of Americans ( you know the people who fought and won the second world war) that lived the hard times and built the recovery with the help of their government.

Those people are dead and these people now feel free to spit on their graves.

What year did FDR end the Great Depression?

the bottom of the great depression was march 1933.

note that all it takes to reverse real history for a con is for some con to claim it has changed.

Thats all the evidence they need to completely reverse the hisotry that millons lived.

The people who lived through the great depression loved fdr because they saw in their homes and businesses the recovery.

These guys dont care, to hell with that whole generation of americans ( you know the people who fought and won the second world war) that lived the hard times and built the recovery with the help of their government.

Those people are dead and these people now feel free to spit on their graves.

what year did fdr end the great depression?

1862?

How about all that money and interest we owe to the Fed when it should not be involved with our money at all?

And no, don't post some dummy's opinion that the government doesn't own the Fed.

When President John Fitzgerald Kennedy - the author of Profiles in Courage -signed this Order, it returned to the federal government, specifically the Treasury Department, the Constitutional power to create and issue currency -money - without going through the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank. President Kennedy's Executive Order 11110 [the full text is displayed further below] gave the Treasury Department the explicit authority: "to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury."

Yeah yeah yeah. And they shot him too.

The bottom of the Great Depression was March 1933.

You mean when Roosevelt went on a cruise and refused to answer Hoover plea to aid the US banking system?

Again, what year did the Great Depression finally end?

You mean when that massive government program called "war" got the unemployment rate down to 2%, with all that massive government spending, huge deficits, price fixing and rationing? Is that what you mean?

Yes!!!

Thank you for admitting that after overseeing an economy as bad as the 7 Biblical Lean Years, it was WWII and not FDR that ended the Great Depression.

How much higher to taxes need to be before we admit that we don't have a revenue problem and that we have a spending problem?

Waaaay too high of math for Democrats.

your right , we should stop giving money to corporation to privet schools to industry all together , farmers grow or don't . no subsidies .
repigs wont do that ,
stop sending jobs over seas without tax penalties tariffs ,

cut down on military spending , get out of the middle east , stop tax refund checks ,

flat fair percentage tax on all . no deductions . STOP tax breaks for the rich .

for everyone .

get ride of public schools , you got a kid ? you fucking pay for it . not me .

how that dick head math good enough now ?

no federal assistance for anyone .

am I thinking like you ?

what a lump of shit you are . you think you sound so intelligent Ooooooooooooooooo

but you didn't learn this , not all democrats are liberals , not all repigs are neocon ass wipes like your self . some repig are more liberal then dems .

but dems will work with repigs, but repig wont work with dem even if its good for us . they only care about their party . like you a selfish ass hole .
now go cry to the dickhead moniter .

Wow.... basic sentence structure's a real challenge for you huh?

:lol::lol:

You mean when Roosevelt went on a cruise and refused to answer Hoover plea to aid the US banking system?

Again, what year did the Great Depression finally end?

You mean when that massive government program called "war" got the unemployment rate down to 2%, with all that massive government spending, huge deficits, price fixing and rationing? Is that what you mean?

Yes!!!

Thank you for admitting that after overseeing an economy as bad as the 7 Biblical Lean Years, it was WWII and not FDR that ended the Great Depression.

There is ample evidence that the WPA and many similar depression era programs actually prolonged the Great Depression.

Well, that part is still up in the air.

Look at any bill in your wallet. It says "Federal Reserve Note." The one I posted says "United States Note." What do you believe is the difference?

Well, that part is still up in the air.

Look at any bill in your wallet. It says "Federal Reserve Note." The one I posted says "United States Note." What do you believe is the difference?

One says "United States Note" and the other says "Federal Reserve Note".

Geesh... kinda obvious huh?

Roger Hickey: American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus -- And Demands to Be Heard

Out in the America, unemployment is back up to 9 percent, but inside the Washington beltway bubble the consensus, driven by conservatives seems to be for austerity. An unholy alliance of pundits, politicians and even reporters -- who differ only in degree -- is insisting on the need to slash Federal spending over the next few months. As we approach the deadline for Congress to raise the debt ceiling, not a hour goes by in the 24 hour cycle without the media interviewing some expert who declares that the deficit is the most important threat facing the country, that tax increases are off the table, and that a severe crisis awaits if the Congress doesn't cut and radically restructure Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

But one voice is missing from this discussion: that of the American Majority.

Occasionally some talking head on TV will acknowledge the almost daily public opinion polling showing conclusively that strong majorities of Americans:

- oppose cutting benefits for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid recipients;

- reject the idea of raising the age of eligibility for these popular programs;

- hate the proposal to turn Medicare into a voucher or privatize Social Security;

- support taxing the rich and corporations to close the deficit and fund needed investment;

- favor cutting military spending for both obsolete weapons systems and current wars;

- and, while acknowledging the need to reduce deficits, place a higher priority on creating jobs and getting the sputtering economy growing.

Rarely in the public discussion are the views of the American majority presented in such a comprehensive way. Instead, some budget expert from Brookings or an honest reporter will nervously interject that "recent polls show Americans may resist taking the medicine," and then the discussion moves on to why austerity is absolutely necessary. Rarely on talk shows or even in serious print news article does anyone challenge the predictable Republican mantra that "We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem." And, given the consensus that we face a "debt and deficit crisis" that could soon hurt the economy, rarely is anyone allowed to warn that a strong dose of spending cuts might hurt the America's faltering recovery.

Do Repugs respect the needs and views of the American majority? You be the judges.

WE are about to go completly broke and then there won't be any money for you whiney ass takers.

Why to you hate America so much that you would rather see it fall into a deep depression, than do what needs to be done now to prevent it?

There is no evidence that taking more money out of the economy via taxation helps the economy.

It all goes back to the same basic issues. Those on the right think we can fix everything by cutting spending without raising taxes. Those on the left think we should just raise taxes. And the only logical solution is that we do some of both. But, until those on the far right and left leave fantasy island and join the real world again, things will just continue on the same path.

I don't see those as the only two options. I would objectively tackle your premise first, which seems to be that it is the role of our government to 'fix' certain things.

I see another set of alternatives; 1) We (the country) agree that everything government is currently doing is what it should be doing. If we agree on that then it's just a matter of funding it, which obviously we aren't adequately doing and will have to raise taxes rathe signifcantly on everyone. There are all kinds of problems with that, but we can get into that later.........2)We all agree that the role of government needs to fundamentally change. We start at square one with what the constitution says the role of the fed is and if it isnt there the fed can't do it and elimate the taxes associated with those things. A lot of what the fed is doing now could reasonably be left to the states.

Last edited:
Roger Hickey: American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus -- And Demands to Be Heard

Out in the America, unemployment is back up to 9 percent, but inside the Washington beltway bubble the consensus, driven by conservatives seems to be for austerity. An unholy alliance of pundits, politicians and even reporters -- who differ only in degree -- is insisting on the need to slash Federal spending over the next few months. As we approach the deadline for Congress to raise the debt ceiling, not a hour goes by in the 24 hour cycle without the media interviewing some expert who declares that the deficit is the most important threat facing the country, that tax increases are off the table, and that a severe crisis awaits if the Congress doesn't cut and radically restructure Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

But one voice is missing from this discussion: that of the American Majority.

Occasionally some talking head on TV will acknowledge the almost daily public opinion polling showing conclusively that strong majorities of Americans:

- oppose cutting benefits for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid recipients;

- reject the idea of raising the age of eligibility for these popular programs;

- hate the proposal to turn Medicare into a voucher or privatize Social Security;

- support taxing the rich and corporations to close the deficit and fund needed investment;

- favor cutting military spending for both obsolete weapons systems and current wars;

- and, while acknowledging the need to reduce deficits, place a higher priority on creating jobs and getting the sputtering economy growing.

Rarely in the public discussion are the views of the American majority presented in such a comprehensive way. Instead, some budget expert from Brookings or an honest reporter will nervously interject that "recent polls show Americans may resist taking the medicine," and then the discussion moves on to why austerity is absolutely necessary. Rarely on talk shows or even in serious print news article does anyone challenge the predictable Republican mantra that "We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem." And, given the consensus that we face a "debt and deficit crisis" that could soon hurt the economy, rarely is anyone allowed to warn that a strong dose of spending cuts might hurt the America's faltering recovery.

Do Repugs respect the needs and views of the American majority? You be the judges.

I think when the majority figures out that, if we really want to properly fund everythying the supposed majority says the government should do, more people are going to have to open their wallets and have more taken out of them, they might have a different opinion.

Last edited:
We my family run out of money we quit spending. We don't go get it from someone else. How hard is this. The rich will always make some money, I wish I was there but I'm not so I do the best I can but when my wife and I run out of money we stop spending.

We my family run out of money we quit spending. We don't go get it from someone else. How hard is this. The rich will always make some money, I wish I was there but I'm not so I do the best I can but when my wife and I run out of money we stop spending.

Creditors should treat government like they treat you when you have no money. Obviously they don't extend you credit with little expectation that you can pay it back. Obama wants to raise the debt the cieling, my question is why are we allowed to take on so much debt to begin with?

Forum List

Back