American Keg Company Announces Layoffs Due to Trump Tariffs

Reasonable

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2017
Gee this doesn’t fit the narrative the White House is pushing.

The only American manufacturer of steel kegs has been hit hard by recent tariffs from the Trump administration, according to the Wall Street Journal.
American Keg Company, based in Pottsdown, Pennsylvania, produces the 15.5-gallon steel kegs familiar to anyone who has worked at a bar or attended a college party, but bars and parties aren’t enough to keep profits high after the Trump administration recently passed new tariffs on steel. The company recently laid off a third of its workforce.

American Keg Company Announces Layoffs Due to Trump Tariffs — VinePair

I found this interesting on their website
American Keg | Stainless Steel Beer Kegs Made in the USA - ABOUT

QUALITY 304 STAINLESS STEEL

All American Keg kegs are manufactured from AISI 304 Stainless Steel in our production facility. American Keg uses only the highest quality, domestically sourced AISI 304 stainless steel that goes through a rigorous pickling and passivation process to ensure a clean and 100% corrosion free container. Manufacturing is quality controlled and all welds are inspected 200%.

The CEO was actually blaming the tariffs not going far enough because they only covered raw steel.

CEO is actually calling for more tariffs LOL
Bedwetters narrative crumbles like a dry cookie :lol:

• Banned
Of course you’re full of shit.

“When a Chinese keg delivered to America costs only a little more than what we pay for just the steel, there really is no point in trying to compete on that basis,” Bentley said earlier this month.
Steel prices rose by 4 percent the day Trump approved the tariffs on March 8, 2018. As we previously reported, these tariffs also affect price of aluminum cans, an increasingly popular vehicle for craft beer, wine, and even cocktails.

• Banned
CEO is actually calling for more tariffs LOL
Bedwetters narrative crumbles like a dry cookie :lol:
“I worry about the people here,” American Keg owner Scott Bentley told CBC News following Trump’s announcement.
A CNN Report estimates that overall American job losses from the tariffs could range from 90,000 to 150,000.

“When a Chinese keg delivered to America costs only a little more than what we pay for just the steel, there really is no point in trying to compete on that basis,” Bentley said earlier this month.
Steel prices rose by 4 percent the day Trump approved the tariffs on March 8, 2018. As we previously reported, these tariffs also affect price of aluminum cans, an increasingly popular vehicle for craft beer, wine, and even cocktails.
The last American keg company says tariffs come with unintended consequences
O'Leary: I know you've had to downsize a little bit. This is a rough time. What needs to happen for you to stay afloat?

Czachor: We would say at this point there is some unfinished business. So, companies out there that have low cost imports coming in, for finished product that has a high content of steel, we're going to need to see some help on those. Some tariffs.

O'Leary: So another round of tariffs you'd say?

Czachor: Yeah, not across the board but specific industries that are harmed by this and also have import competition using low-cost steel.
---
Indeed. I am sure the CEO doesnt know WTF is going on :rolleyes:

The fiercely anti-protectionist Wall Street Journal will look for any negative result of tariffs to publicize. As has been explained, yes, when you raise tariffs, some sectors will be adversely impacted, but other sectors will benefit and the country will be better off overall.

American Keg's CEO actually says that Trump was right to raise the tariff on steel:

I think when the tariffs came out, it was probably a good idea. I'm sure the steel industry needs some protection but there are some unintended consequences for companies such as us that have competition that make imports. And on the U.S. side, our costs for domestic steel is going to increase because of these tariffs. As the import steel goes up in cost so does the domestic steel. (The last American keg company says tariffs come with unintended consequences)​

All American Keg kegs are manufactured from AISI 304 Stainless Steel in our production facility. American Keg uses only the highest quality, domestically sourced AISI 304 stainless steel that goes through a rigorous pickling and passivation process to ensure a clean and 100% corrosion free container. Manufacturing is quality controlled and all welds are inspected 200%.

The CEO was actually blaming the tariffs not going far enough because they only covered raw steel.
I heard the CEO of this firm a couple weeks ago, when this tariff stuff first hit the news. He said it was gonna hurt them because there are companies that will pay an extra $5 for a keg built in America of American steel, but they're sure not going to pay $15 or $20.

The fiercely anti-protectionist Wall Street Journal will look for any negative result of tariffs to publicize. As has been explained, yes, when you raise tariffs, some sectors will be adversely impacted, but other sectors will benefit and the country will be better off overall.

American Keg's CEO actually says that Trump was right to raise the tariff on steel:

I think when the tariffs came out, it was probably a good idea. I'm sure the steel industry needs some protection but there are some unintended consequences for companies such as us that have competition that make imports. And on the U.S. side, our costs for domestic steel is going to increase because of these tariffs. As the import steel goes up in cost so does the domestic steel. (The last American keg company says tariffs come with unintended consequences)​
The WSJ is and always has been a conservative publication but as with most conservative web sites even they are running as fast as they can away from this lunatic president. Supporting him makes them lose all credibility.

Actually we'd have to end all foreign trade to do what Trump wants. And I realize Trumpbots think that's good.

E74C0B67-DBAD-4A52-823E-672E8F59ACA2.jpeg

O'Leary: I know you've had to downsize a little bit. This is a rough time. What needs to happen for you to stay afloat?

Czachor: We would say at this point there is some unfinished business. So, companies out there that have low cost imports coming in, for finished product that has a high content of steel, we're going to need to see some help on those. Some tariffs.

Czachor: Yeah, not across the board but specific industries that are harmed by this and also have import competition using low-cost steel.
---

“Indeed. I am sure the CEO doesnt know WTF is going on”

That’s what most of the world is saying about this POS prez on a daily basis..

Actually we'd have to end all foreign trade to do what Trump wants. And I realize Trumpbots think that's good.
I dont think i have ever met a single person that wants to end importing and exporting.

View attachment 183861

---

Good deflection, dumbfuck :lol:

I dont think i have ever met a single person that wants to end importing and exporting.
Well, unless Trump puts tariffs on everything, tariffs on just somethings will inevitably negatively effect US producers of some item because it'll be cheaper to import it.

But, Trump is rolling out tariffs just to feed his base.

This whole thread is garbage, he laid off (10) men of the (30) he employs. Why wasn't he using imported 304 stainless to make his kegs if material cost were such an issue.
American steel prices have increased 30% in the last 18 months because of demand.

You know there is a fine modern stainless steel plant in Mexico , Mexinox, Mexinox in brief | Inicio | Outokumpu

This whole thread is garbage, he laid off (10) men of the (30) he employs. Why wasn't he using imported 304 stainless to make his kegs if material cost were such an issue.
American steel prices have increased 30% in the last 18 months because of demand.

You know there is a fine modern stainless steel plant in Mexico , Mexinox, Mexinox in brief | Inicio | Outokumpu
If I remember correctly, he had laid off those workers BEFORE Trump's tariffs.

View attachment 183861

---

Love that meme!

View attachment 183861

---

Good deflection, dumbfuck :lol:
No deflection Trump whore. These horrendous tariffs is economics 101 NOT good for America so the photo is 100% accurate.

Why Trump's Tariffs Don't Make Economic Sense

I dunno. We have no idea whether Trump will follow through with his rhetoric, but if the past is a guide ... he won't.

But if the EU goes ahead with it's tariff's response, there will be a reckoning. It doesn't take a phD in econ to know what'll happen to US automakers if steel in 40% higher for them and not for BMW

Forum List

Back