"American exceptionalism"...is dead

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
do i need to say anything my friends? the headlines speak for themselves...

DzOzdRQWkAAzJFU.jpg

DzOzdSoXgAEZKJX.jpg

• Banned
"It turns out that you can't pay for a $100 billion train to nowhere if you also need the money for universal health care (and you might not get that, either). Only in the land of AOC's rainbow unicorns can you have it all."

We were never exceptional. That bullshit is why our entitled asses think we can police the world.

DzOzdRQWkAAzJFU.jpg

DzOzdSoXgAEZKJX.jpg

I disagree with your or their concept of American exceptionalism.

Where the term came from was, iinm, Tocqueville's observation on how the United States was an exception to how all other nations on Earth were formed and how it was governed.

DzOzdRQWkAAzJFU.jpg

DzOzdSoXgAEZKJX.jpg

I disagree with your or their concept of American exceptionalism.

Where the term came from was, iinm, Tocqueville's observation on how the United States was an exception to how all other nations on Earth were formed and how it was governed.

This country's structure was always held to be "exceptional" in that it rejected the then-current concept of a striated society governed by an élite of Clergy and Nobility in favour of the "We the People" thing. But the term here is exceptionalism, meaning a dogma that declares us to be a kind of 'superior race' vis à vis the rest of the world, and thus giving ourselves permission to go stomping through any country we feel like that week, a permission that by definition extends to no one else.

Or in other words it's a throw-back to the old "divine right of kings", where the USA is the king and the rest of the world is the peasantry. A kind of national Droit du Seigneur.

• Banned
California has the world’s 5th largest economy. It has a top 10 U.S. tax burden. If it can’t afford high-speed rail, that ought to give proponents real pause.

Forum List

Back