Amazon's "A League of Their Own".

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
"Because none of the other boys … they always made me feel wrong, like I was some sort of a weird girl or a strange girl or not even a girl, just because I could play. I believed them, too, you know?"

Doris Murphy ("A League of Their Own") 1992 movie

In the original movie, it was made clear that a lot of the women who excelled in sports were stereotyped as "manly", "unfeminine", suspected lesbians.

220816-league-of-their-own-mn-0950-81943e.jpg

In Amazon's new TV series, "A League of Their Own", they battle this pervasive stereotype of women athletes by ...

... making nearly EVERY character in the series, gay.

How clever of them to fight a stereotype by portraying it as true.

"Because none of the other boys … they always made me feel wrong, like I was some sort of a weird girl or a strange girl or not even a girl, just because I could play. I believed them, too, you know?"

Doris Murphy ("A League of Their Own") 1992 movie

In the original movie, it was made clear that a lot of the women who excelled in sports were stereotyped as "manly", "unfeminine", suspected lesbians.

View attachment 695118

In Amazon's new TV series, "A League of Their Own", they battle this pervasive stereotype of women athletes by ...

... making nearly EVERY character in the series, gay.

How clever of them to fight a stereotype by portraying it as true.
Yup..way over the top. Even the married women are pursuing lesbian relationships on the side. I watched for a few episodes...mostly laughing my ass off. I wanted a baseball movie..I got every cliche currently fashionable..wrapped up in a little baseball.

One can take a swipe at the sexist, racist culture of the time and still deliver a great story..Mad Men did it well.

This..is just a stew of pseudo-woke BS..hoping to make a buck.

Yup..way over the top. Even the married women are pursuing lesbian relationships on the side. I watched for a few episodes...mostly laughing my ass off. I wanted a baseball movie..I got every cliche currently fashionable..wrapped up in a little baseball.

One can take a swipe at the sexist, racist culture of the time and still deliver a great story..Mad Men did it well.

This..is just a stew of pseudo-woke BS..hoping to make a buck.

The only reason it worked for mad men was because it wasn't a thing at that point. Someone just wanted to make a good show is all it was. It's like alien, it had a great female lead and she was tough, but it wasn't by design. They just wanted to make a good movie first and foremost. They didn't pigeon hole themselves by saying "we need to make a strong female driven movie" and only have that as their foundation.

Now studios first priority is to tackle some issue, or push some agenda, or jump on a hot topic. Making a good movie or show is no longer first priority. They are more worried about checking boxes off to try and appeal to specific groups.

I miss when movie and show creators said "I'm going to create what I WANT, if you like it that's great and if you don't that's fine also. But I'm going to bring my ideas, characters and world to the screen". Now it's mostly "ok we need to make something that is a popular social trend and we can't offend anyone".

When you make some dumb generic, sterile, cliche product aimed at trying to please everyone all you'll do is make something no one can relate to or enjoy because you sucked all the creativity out of it.

Forum List

Back