Almost half of Americans work in low paid jobs

Shows how hollow the Trump economy is

Almost half of Americans work in low-wage jobs

America's unemployment rate is at a half-century low, but it also has a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population, with a study finding 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000.

Contrary to popular opinion, these workers aren't teenagers or young adults just starting their careers,
And your point is? That's right, you never HAVE a point. Go take a nap, you old fart.

I can't believe we're getting a lecture on work ethic from a guy who uses the idiot Ralph Norton the sewer worker for an avatar.

I can't believe we're getting a lecture on avatars from a guy who uses the idiot Trump grabbing tits for an avatar.

You can't believe hypocrisy? It's rampant in so many posts from his side of the aisle.

It is rampant from both sides of the aisle.

Is this a thread complaining about the fact that everyone is working again?.....
Yes, $10.22 an hour is nothing to brag about

From one of our resident TROLLS.

How is this a bad thing? Come on Troll, I know you can make this terrible!

Average%20wage%20%202019-12-02-XL.jpg

United States Average Hourly Wages | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar

America's unemployment rate is at a half-century low, but it also has a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population, with a study finding 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000.

Contrary to popular opinion, these workers aren't teenagers or young adults just starting their careers,
So this is as good as the economy can get?

WTF?

44 percent are not getting much to keep
Mostly because their employers are keeping the money

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-animated-gif-6-Th.gif

The definition of insanity, of course, is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. You post the same thread over and over expecting it to result in an answer you like. INSANITY!

That 44 percent keep everything, they pay, as you know, no Federal Income Taxes.

You got it backwards again. Bush fucked the country up. Obama saved it.

Now Trump is fucking the country up, and it will take another Democrat to save it.

But that's been the history of the country since the end of the civil war. Republicans fuck the country up. Democrats fix it.

Yeah boy, this is the definition of going to heck in a handbasket!

tenor%20%281%29-Th.gif

The Unemployment Rate Does Not Signal A Recession
Update - October 4, 2019
Oct. 4, 2019 10:29 AM ET

|The Unemployment Rate Does Not Signal A Recession: Update - October 4, 2019 | Seeking Alpha

###

Steve Moore: Middle-class Incomes Surge More Than $5,000 Under Trump Economy
BY PETER VICENZI
10/07/2019

Steve Moore: Middle-class Incomes Surge More Than $5,000 Under Trump Economy | FreedomWorks

###

Younger and Minority Workers Lead Wage Gains as Expansion Ages
Oct. 17, 2019, 8:59 AM

A tightening labor market with U.S. unemployment rate at a 50-year low is starting to result in higher wages for full-time workers, including younger people and minorities whose pay has lagged.

Median weekly earnings for Americans in the third quarter rose 3.6% to $919, outpacing inflation, the U.S. Labor Department reported Wednesday. Earnings for those aged 25 to 54, in their prime working years, rose by 5%, the fastest rate of growth in recent years.

Younger and Minority Workers Lead Wage Gains as Expansion Ages

###

ECONOMY
Record-low black unemployment cheered by black activists

Published 1 month ago on September 9, 2019

[...]

“Love him or hate him, this is an incredible economic accomplishment for the President and a tremendous benefit for American blacks,” said Project 21 member Derryck Green.

Along with a reported third straight month of 3.7 percent overall unemployment, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) August jobs report noted that the overall black unemployment rate fell half-a-percent to 5.5 percent. This is the lowest black unemployment rate ever recorded. BLS began reporting employment statistics by race in 1972. And with overall white unemployment at 3.4 percent, it is also the smallest reported gap between the races ever in terms of joblessness. Until recently, the racial employment disparity between blacks and whites has generally held to a 2-1 margin.

Record-low black unemployment cheered by black activists

###

Help wanted: Too many jobs and not enough workers in most states
Tim Henderson, Stateline Published 8:00 a.m. CT Oct. 15, 2019 | Updated 7:10 p.m. CT Oct. 15, 2019

In 39 states, there are more jobs than people looking for them, according to a Stateline analysis of June hiring and employment data from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Help wanted: Too many jobs and not enough workers in most states

But isn't the study basically saying that 44%of the jobs out there are low paying jobs?

Yes the person is being paid a low wage as well.... but if there are only 56% of the jobs out there that pay better, considered middle class, then the 44% in these lower paying jobs don't stand a prayer of moving on up...

I guess I am trying to point out that foreign trade, and manufacturing overseas instead of here has changed the kind of jobs that used to be here that one man working could support a family of 4...

This may be the norm now.... not necessarily the "person's" fault, having to work one of those 44%, low paying jobs, When only 56% of the jobs out there to be had, are good paying?

Cry me a river. People sell their children in other nations so the rest of the family can eat once a day.

Ummm...that is the standard you hold America to?

I thought you guys were supposed to Make America Great?
Only a liar can claim there’s poor people in America who are mentally sound.

Wait...you are saying that all poor people in America are not mentally sound?

Really?
Poor in America is to live like royalty in half the world, ignoramus.

What ever happened to Making America Great?

We are the richest nation in the world and you brag that our poor are not in Third World Poverty

I don't know if anybody brought this up, because when I join a new topic, I start from the last post and work my way to the OP.

Your article only pointed out half the people are not making great money, but no explanation as to why. I can point out several reasons besides "It's Trump's fault."

First off, we have a huge drug problem in this country; a drug problem Democrats refuse to address. I've known people (as I've written about before) that opt for lower paying jobs so they don't have to quit using recreational narcotics.

Many higher paying jobs require drug testing, so you either don't get the job, or may lose the job if random drug tests are part of the company policy.

Next of course is that adults are living with their parents much, much longer than years ago. You don't need much money living with your folks.

Now what this survey did was consider good paying jobs that have healthcare benefits. Who's fault is it many less companies offer healthcare benefits in the first place? Trump's? Even you know the answer to that one.

So I don't think it's a matter that jobs are not paying enough. I think it's a matter of people not accepting better jobs for one reason or another. As mentioned later, immigrants are a huge problem when it comes to driving American wages up. Again, the Democrats don't want to lift a finger to stop it.

Amazon opened up two new distribution centers here. They've been open for a couple of months now. They are still advertising for workers. The pay is between 16 and 18 bucks an hour, good medical coverage, overtime pay, and a host of other benefits including college tuition. They still can't find enough parole to fill those positions.

My industry (truck driving) needs tens of thousands of drivers we can't find. Some of the driving positions, like Walmart, are paying close to 90K a year.

The OP posted gave the impression the reason people don't make good money is because the jobs simply don't pay good money. I think it's more the fact that people won't work better paying jobs as an option.

So it's Trump's fault they don't have enough ambition to better themselves?

Wahhhh!

No, it's Trump's fault for promising them a $4000 raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that their wages would go up.

Yes, so what are State Governments doing to help their workforce to become more productive in life?

What are State Governments doing to help entrepreneurs to gain loans to start small businesses?

Forget Federal and it is the State and Local Governments job to bring their society out of this issue.

But, they added, the issue can't entirely be addressed by improving workers' skills, since low-wage jobs reflect the strength of a local economy. Recent research suggests "there simply are not enough jobs paying decent wages for people without college degrees (who make up the majority of the labor force) to escape low-wage work," they wrote.

In other words, even if low-wage workers undergo job training and learn new skills, they're not guaranteed to find good-paying jobs anywhere near where they currently live.

That all depends on what field of work you choose to get trained on. Before you invest one dime into education, you need to read the want ads first to see what's in demand and what's paying the best. If you choose electronics or hair stylist, you are going to be no better off than before the training.

1) 16 to 18 bucks an hour is low pay. Not middle class. Middle class requires 25 an hour minimum.
2). If your truck driving company is having trouble finding drivers it's a bad place to work. People are avoiding it for better places.
3) The job market is full of qualified workers who are willing to work until severe exhaustion. They are easy to find.

Yes, so what are State Governments doing to help their workforce to become more productive in life?

What are State Governments doing to help entrepreneurs to gain loans to start small businesses?

Forget Federal and it is the State and Local Governments job to bring their society out of this issue.
Seems like a chicken or the egg problem

Are workers low wage because they don’t have the skills for higher wages or are they low wage because they have no advancement opportunities?

You try so hard and fail so badly every time.

The study in question...you know the reason for the thread...broke them into 3 groups...low paying jobs and mid to high paying jobs.

But I realize the actually study had some big words in it so you probably never got past the cover page.

So...40+percent is breaking income brackets into three? Arithmetic was never your strong point was it?

The issue is, I deal with FACTS.

Your bud, Rightwinger, won't answer this question so I'll pose it to you to, knowing you'll twist or divert to another issue.

Like all your ignorant Progressive friends, you, nor they ever give an honest, real answer to this simple question.

What is the average household income where one worker earns the minimum wage?

Maybe you two can put your heads together and figure out the right answer!

tumblr_lhvcm3Xvg71qbdyu5o1_500-S.gif

Last edited:

So it's Trump's fault they don't have enough ambition to better themselves?

Wahhhh!

No, it's Trump's fault for promising them a $4000 raise from the corporate tax cuts, and that their wages would go up.

He made that assessment based on the fact that household income was down $4,000 since 2000...

Trump largely right that incomes fallen $4,000 since 2000

...and like he promised, the median household income has grown by $4,144 or 6.8 percent since he took office, according the the Wall St. Journal...

Thanks to Trump, Median Household Income at Highest Level Ever

So what's your problem?

Other than the fact that you don't like President Trump, I mean...

1) 16 to 18 bucks an hour is low pay. Not middle class. Middle class requires 25 an hour minimum.
2). If your truck driving company is having trouble finding drivers it's a bad place to work. People are avoiding it for better places.
3) The job market is full of qualified workers who are willing to work until severe exhaustion. They are easy to find.

It all depends on where you live. $18.00 an hour is not bad for around here. It's not doing well, but it's not doing poorly either. Now go make $18.00 an hour in NYC, California, or just about any other strong liberal area. It's poverty.

Seems like a chicken or the egg problem

Are workers low wage because they don’t have the skills for higher wages or are they low wage because they have no advancement opportunities?

That is a good question but if you have no advancement then like me you create your own business...

Unfortunately many are not me and never pay a fair wage...

Forum List

Back