Alexander Haig dies

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Ex-Secretary of State Haig dead at age 85 - USATODAY.com

Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, a four-star general who served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own, died Saturday of complications from an infection, his family said. He was 85.
Haig's long and decorated military career launched the Washington career for which he is better known, including top posts in the Nixon, Ford and Reagan administrations. He never lived down his televised response to the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, a four-star general who served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own, died Saturday of complications from an infection, his family said. He was 85.
Haig's long and decorated military career launched the Washington career for which he is better known, including top posts in the Nixon, Ford and Reagan administrations. He never lived down his televised response to the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

His "response" was deliberately misconstrued.

Obviously, when he said that he "was in charge," he wasn't claiming to have by-passed the Vice President or taken over the government. He was merely reassuring the WORLD (albeit in-artfully) that the GOVERNMENT was still functioning.

ex-secretary of state haig dead at age 85 - usatoday.com

former secretary of state alexander haig, a four-star general who served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own, died saturday of complications from an infection, his family said. He was 85.
Haig's long and decorated military career launched the washington career for which he is better known, including top posts in the nixon, ford and reagan administrations. He never lived down his televised response to the 1981 assassination attempt on president ronald reagan.

his "response" was deliberately misconstrued.

Obviously, when he said that he "was in charge," he wasn't claiming to have by-passed the vice president or taken over the government. He was merely reassuring the world (albeit in-artfully) that the government was still functioning.

rip.

Obviously, when he said that he "was in charge," he wasn't claiming to have by-passed the Vice President or taken over the government. He was merely reassuring the WORLD (albeit in-artfully) that the GOVERNMENT was still functioning.

Haig took a bad rap for that one. He was fully aware of the order of transition. Reagan was still alive and was still President. Haig was merely stating that things were under control.

Good General and great American

Haig's in for a rude awaking, St Peter will not step aside...

Haig's in for a rude awaking, St Peter will not step aside...

Oh stop that. Whatever any of us think of Haig's official actions he was a man with a private life we know relatively little about and a family who I'm sure is affected by his passing. My thoughts are with them.

Haig took a bad rap for that one. He was fully aware of the order of transition. Reagan was still alive and was still President. Haig was merely stating that things were under control.

I am always somewhat surprised when you and I agree. But, here, we do.

Nice post. No offense.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama calls the late Alexander Haig "a great American" who served his country with distinction.

I am always somewhat surprised when you and I agree. But, here, we do.

Nice post. No offense.
...and I don't know that I have before agreed with both of you.

A great American indeed.

RIP

Deliberate distortions seem to be hallmark of leftist talking points.
The truth is sufficient for a wise man. Why dont they use it?

I didn't know he was still with us. The man was a great public servant and he served in the military with distinction. I always loved mocking his misread statement about being in charge at the White House, but one thing the press got wrong...When AL went on TV he did so to assure the nation and keep the hysteria down.

In today's political climate he would've been called a traitor and worse. Look what happened when Obama tried to calm nerves about the panty bomber. I expect the press to make fun or question everything, but when parties and nincompoops on the internet are so loud and hysterical we get what we got today. Al, comes from a time when people were viewed as opponents and not enemies.
For that he will be missed most.

Forum List

Back