Alaskans say Palin had gone fishing on the job

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
JUNEAU, Alaska - As surprised fans and critics of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin traded guesses behind her decision to resign more than a year before her term ends, the former vice presidential candidate offered few hints at her political future, except to say she'd gone fishing.

Palin has stayed out of the public eye since she made the announcement Friday, but said in a Twitter update Sunday she was looking forward to joining her family as they commercially fish in Bristol Bay. But to many Alaskans, Palin has been off the job for awhile already, acting as a disengaged presence around the state Capitol since she returned from the presidential campaign trail last year.

"She had a surprising amount of disinterest in state government after November," said state Rep. Les Gara, a Democrat from Anchorage. "This state has a lot of problems, and she showed a complete lack of interest in solving them."

Polarizing figure
In Alaska, Palin has become a polarizing figure and the focus of multiple ethics complaints filed against her with the state personnel board. She has taken a beating from Senate Democrats over many of her recent appointments, including an attorney general candidate who became the first Cabinet appointment ever rejected by the Alaska Legislature.

But with all the thorny issues enveloping her in Alaska, Palin's quitting may be more about something simpler: cutting her losses.

Things weren't likely to improve, if she stayed in office. She faces a potential veto override of nearly $29 million in federal stimulus funds for energy efficiency programs, money she had rejected in fear that it could bind the state to federal building mandates.

"The drumbeat of adverse news coverage from Alaska would likely have continued and intensified had she remained governor," said Juneau economist and longtime Alaska political watcher Gregg Erickson. "It would have become an increasing liability to her national campaign."

A day after abruptly announcing she would soon give up her job as governor, Palin indicated on a social networking site that she would take on a larger, national role, citing a "higher calling" to unite the country along conservative lines. In the last few months, Palin had laid the groundwork for a possible presidential run, establishing a political action committee.

Erickson said that while Palin has received an adulatory reception from social conservatives in the Lower 48 states, in Alaska she's become a lightning rod for criticism and controversy.

It's easier to govern in Alaska when oil prices are high, but they are down from last year's historic highs and the budget is much tighter. this year, Palin's signature project, getting a natural gas pipeline, moves into a critical phase:And whether North Slope leaseholders will commit to shipping gas in the pipeline, which is still at least a decade away.

Heart not in the job?

Alaskans: Palin had gone fishing on job - More politics- msnbc.com

discuss:

once a quitter always a quitter....she is walking out on ther "signature project" and the people of alaska when they are facing touch times and you would consider this women for your next candidate...do republicans not have a clue that this women played a major factor in mccain losing the election? the selection of palin drove away the middle..which mccain needed to win. many people who were leaning towards maccain changed their minds with the nomination of palin...many women. why, because he did not pick the most qualified republican woman out there. He picked beauty queen gone to mayor and then gov...a rocket in his pocket so the thought. if you want to keep the democratis in office...run palin...

discuss:

once a quitter always a quitter....she is walking out on ther "signature project" and the people of alaska when they are facing touch times and you would consider this women for your next candidate...do republicans not have a clue that this women played a major factor in mccain losing the election? the selection of palin drove away the middle..which mccain needed to win. many people who were leaning towards maccain changed their minds with the nomination of palin...many women. why, because he did not pick the most qualified republican woman out there. He picked beauty queen gone to mayor and then gov...a rocket in his pocket so the thought. if you want to keep the democratis in office...run palin...

Obviously the writer did not follow the verrrrry long campaign very closely.

This weekend I found right wingers making all kinds of excuses for why she quit. The best was, "she wants to focus on running for president".

As if she's a serious contender? She's not.

But, she can raise all kinds of money regardless, so that's probably why she's doing it. She can raise serious cash now. But she doesn't have a chance in hell of winning. She's a national joke.

Does she have any scandals in Alaska? She was caught up in a couple scandals last year. Did those go away? I'm guessing they are investigating her and she doesn't want to be impeached? We shall see.

Anyways, it is NOT a good thing to quit being governor just so you can run for pres. Look at how many things are on Obama's plate. Does anyone seriously want her making the decisions that Obama is making now? Anyone who trusts her and Todd to make the decisions for our country should be banned from USMB and they should get labotomies.

PS. I still want to have sex with her.

I do think she is cutting and running at a time when her constituents need her most. What does her resignation say about all the other republican governors out there who are working double time to balance tight budgets? Are they all lame ducks who should resign as well? Are they just wasting tax dollars and putting themselves before country? I don't see a positive spin one way or the other for Palin, I think the "quitter" tag will dog her for the rest of her career.

I thought Huckabee was correct in his assessment of her announcement.
He also questioned the way the resignation was announced, saying, "You don't call a press conference to create questions, you call one to resolve them."
Huckabee, looking at his own time as a governor, asked that "If that had been the case for me, I would have quit about the first month? Been there, done that.? One of the things you have to do is decide, 'Look, they're not going to chase me out.' '"Look if they chase you out of this it won't get any easier for you."

On another note, the wrong Republican Governor resigned, it should have been Sanford.

palin is way too....loose cannonish....instead of a well thought out speech to resign you got a rambling speech...who are her advisiors and or handlers? when do you go from being a maravick to a fucking loon? july 3, 2009 was that date for palin

palin is way too....loose cannonish....instead of a well thought out speech to resign you got a rambling speech...who are her advisiors and or handlers? when do you go from being a maravick to a fucking loon? july 3, 2009 was that date for palin

Here's the deal. Palin doesn't have a chance in hell.

But, she's popular. So Palin will rally the righties who care about:

a. A woman running.
b. Religion/guns/gays/god
c. Abortion

So she won't win, but she'll bring a lot of people in who might not be energized without her.

Also, she'll make the other candidates seem smart.

What about that stupid crackhead mayor in DC? WTF is he still doing getting elected. I suggest leftists here STFU and look at their own before saying anything remotley bad about Palin. Dunces like you vote for scum like him.

What about that stupid crackhead mayor in DC? WTF is he still doing getting elected. I suggest leftists here STFU and look at their own before saying anything remotley bad about Palin. Dunces like you vote for scum like him.

I think you should check who is the mayor of DC.

My bad..ex-mayor...still doesn't change the fact he's a left wing crackhead.

Making that comparison shows what a neo con tool you are. Sara being an Innuet is an important portal into who she is.

I think a little background on the Innuets(eskimos) would be helpfull.

Ever wonder why a human being or a group of them would choose to live on ice?

Doesn't that seem a scosh odd?

The real reason..and I am not even slightly jesting is that the eskimos were some of the last to cross over from russia and when they tried to make it down the coast of north america the earlier "Native Americans" that settled in what is now northern british colombia wouldn't let em pass. In fact they slaughtered them and sent them packing back up north where they stayed. In short the eskimos were quitters.

I know this from personal experience(I had an Innuet girlfriend) as I grew up in the American San Juans Islands where many of the battles took place. My front yard was massacre bay and scull island. Those names were earned.

I think you should check who is the mayor of DC.

My bad..ex-mayor...still doesn't change the fact he's a left wing crackhead.

He's a DC city councilman now...and was arrested over the Independence Day weekend for stalking.
loser.png

Making that comparison shows what a neo con tool you are. Sara being an Innuet is an important portal into who she is.

The real reason..and I am not even slightly jesting is that the eskimos were some of the last to cross over from russia and when they tried to make it down the coast of north america the earlier "Native Americans" that settled in what is now northern british colombia wouldn't let em pass. In fact they slaughtered them and sent them packing back up north where they stayed. In short the eskimos were quitters.

I know this from personal experience(I had an Innuet girlfriend) as I grew up in the American San Juans Islands where many of the battles took place. My front yard was massacre bay and scull island. Those names were earned.

LOL, neo-con? BWAHAHA!!! Kick back you big bad bank robber you.:lol:

LOL, neo-con? BWAHAHA!!! Kick back you big bad bank robber you.:lol:

I do my kickin back around 9PM. I like to be alert during banking hours! :lol:

Forum List

Back