Alabama's Gulf Coast is now dead

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
Several of my friends who are in Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Fort Morgan overnight began to tell me that the slick has now hit the coast in full force, and that the effects are far worse than are being reported by the media. I am planning to go down early in the week, but they are all telling everyone to just stay away, that the damage is done. Oil is covering the beach 38 feet from low tide, and the passes and brackish waterways are also covered in oil. Perdido Pass has been closed to all recreational boating, and there is talk that Mobile Bay may be closed to only commercial traffic. Permanent booms are being installed at Perdido Pass (steel and concrete) which will close Ono Island and the Pass for years to come.

The consensus here is that BP created the problem, and our own Federal government magnified it by ignoring it and doing too little too late. The talking heads here and elsewhere can lay blame wherever you wish, but the people most affected are convinced that the majority of it lies with our current government and Obama's piss-poor handling of the situation and all-but-no response.

He is scheduled to be here again Monday or Tuesday, and I predict it will be the last time he comes to the Gulf Coast in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana. Those 3 States have figured out whose ass needs to be kicked, and Florida will as well, once the full force of the spill begins to hit their shores.

I was in Fort Morgan for Memorial Day. It didn't occur to me then that it was the last time in my lifetime I would see the old fort, and the white sands of the Gulf Coast in their natural beauty. Both are gone for decades to come, along with millions of families, billions of assets, and trillions of wildlife.

Last edited:
It's sad---good thing nature is can do miraculous in the way of restoring herself. All the Hawaiian islands were devoid of life when created by volcanoes. Look at them now.

Forum List

Back