Alabama Mayor Bans FEMA Trailers.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
You just can't make this stuff up!

Ala. town hit by tornadoes bans FEMA trailers - Yahoo! News

Ala. town hit by tornadoes bans FEMA trailers

CORDOVA, Ala. – James Ruston's house was knocked off its foundation by tornadoes that barreled through town last month and is still uninhabitable. He thought help had finally arrived when a truck pulled up to his property with a mobile home from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Then he got the call: Single-wide mobile homes, like the FEMA one, are illegal in the city of Cordova.

The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town of 2,000, with angry citizens filling a meeting last week and circulating petitions to remove the man many blame for the decision, Mayor Jack Scott.
:doubt:

The way I heard the story there was some kind of a moratorium on the single wides. They don't want their town to turn into a trailer park. Just encouraging people to rebuild and get on with their lives vs. being happy with the free gov't cheese.

Well considering the HUUUUUGE scandal about the FEMA trailers in LA - this is a good thing.

That was so last administration..:doubt:

In any case..it's fucking stupid.

People need shelter..immediately.

Yes they do, but the town has had rules in place banning single-wide trailers for quite a while. It is the mayor's job to enforce all the ordinances, not to give selected people a pass. It's the city council's job to remove or suspend the ordinance. I would bet that the mayor would back such council action.

Well considering the HUUUUUGE scandal about the FEMA trailers in LA - this is a good thing.

Yes they do, but the town has had rules in place banning single-wide trailers for quite a while. It is the mayor's job to enforce all the ordinances, not to give selected people a pass. It's the city council's job to remove or suspend the ordinance. I would bet that the mayor would back such council action.

Laws that impede help are generally suspended during times of emergency.

Happens here in NYC all the time. Alternate side of the street laws are suspended during big snowstorms.

There are people still living in FEMA trailers in LA after FIVE YEARS.
You will have a sizeable portion of people who will be quite happy with free housing rather than paying rent.

You will have a sizeable portion of people who will be quite happy with free housing rather than paying rent.

So your solution is what? Let them die of exposure?

Good one.:clap2:

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/08/08/formaldehyde-in-fema-travel-trailers-making-people-sick/

I wonder if the FEMA trailers are left over from the Bush administration? Republicans passed out carcinogenic trailers to people who lost everything. Were they just trying to "get rid of the problem" or "motivating people to move on"? I don't know.

Some travel trailers issued to victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita last year by the Federal Emergency Management Agency are emitting potentially dangerous levels of formaldehyde, an industrial chemical used in their manufacture which some residents say is making them sick.

But the letters below the article were the worst. I have to assume this came from a "Republican".

They can sleep in a tent or on the street or in a cave then…
Or take some responsibility for themselves and get a job and rent/buy a place that suits them.
Isn’t that what a good libertarian would do instead of whining about the smell of their government provided free house???

Then there is this letter in response:

Mr. Crangle, I live in a fema trailer in my front yard and have since October 30. I had three feet of water in my home and I am the single mother of four children. On the day Katrina came I was notified at the hotel I was staying in, and was told me my husband and father of my children was killed in Iraq. Then I come home and find everything we had work for was destroyed, baby pictures, wedding dress, furniture, and everything that reminded me of the husband I will never see again was gone. I by myself gutted one room cleaned the floor and set up a bed for my kids and waited for a trailer, that I was very thankful to get. Oh at this point I think I should mention that my son (the baby) has lung diease, I was so scared he would get something from the house that when the trailer came we moved right in. As soon as we moved in the baby got sicker and sicker, I thought it was just his lungs acting up, then the other kids got sick, then I got sick, we heard about the problem with the trailers in May and moved out of ours in a week, I emptied the saving and fixed our home. Everyone started feeling better after we moved back in the house execpt the baby, he now has permanent damage and may never get better. So Sir when you prejudge EVERYONE who got a FEMA trailer I hope you now think about the bigger picture, and tell me this f you were told, hey your house got destroyed and we will give you a place to live but might get cancer or just not be able to breathe from it…would you want yourself, your mother, your kids living in it????

------------------------------------
No wonder Republicans hate government. After everything their leaders have done TO the country.

Laws that impede help are generally suspended during times of emergency.

Happens here in NYC all the time. Alternate side of the street laws are suspended during big snowstorms.

There needs to be a provision in the law to allow suspension. If it's not there, the city has to rely on a process outlined in the city charter to amend or suspend ordinances.

From the link:
But the city enacted a law three years ago that bans the type of mobile homes provided by FEMA, called single-wide trailers. Older single-wide mobile homes were grandfathered in under the law and double-wide mobile homes are still allowed, Scott said, but new single-wides aren't allowed and a tornado isn't any reason to change the law, even temporarily.
I know it bugs Liberals to have current laws enforced.

So your solution is what? Let them die of exposure?

Good one.:clap2:

In a word...relatives.
My brother and his wife lost their home 15 years ago or so.
They lived in my home for about 3 months...and it didn't cost the taxpayers one cent...let alone $10,000's.

But if it weren't for trailer parks there would be no Alabama.

Hey now!!!

main.jpg

Forum List

Back