AK_49... That's a State not a Weapon

nam21

Rookie
Sep 20, 2008
I consider myself a Independent, and what I mean by that is that I do NOT follow blindly where our so called leaders "lead". There are certain area's that I follow more closley to the republican line... such as the "war"... we are not at war we are occupying a hostile and potentially dangerous country. Don't kid yourself Iraq was both those things before we made our presense felt the 1st time (I.E. Desert Storm), we just started a whole new round of crap. But we are already there and the best possible outcome is that we establish a good relationship based more on support and economic gain than the fear that our guns will be back in their turf. I have not been on the gound there to see the day to day but neither have or canidates (other that the well orcistrated visits)... so to actually believe that either McCain or Obama know whats what is just dumb. They both have spent enough time there to say what they think should happen... both say we are pulling out (one says with victory, the other says... I'm not sure what) but on different time schedules. Mcain atleast has military experience and is a war veteran if not hero. I will always respect that!
On other issues, like econimics... they both have their heads up someones ass. I don't know about you but I thought a 401k was suppose to gain money. The whole federal bailout of mortgage companies is bs, quite like the thousands of Americans that have been living outside their means for years... If you have amassed more debt than you can handle, guess what thats your own fault and you should pay the consiquenses, not the American tax payer. I understand what the federal government is trying to do, but come on people, the economy does not work that way... a first year economy student could tell you that atrifically stipulating the economy is at best a short term solution. In the end this is all going to tumble like a deck of cards if we arn't careful.
The one issue I am more closely tied to the Democratic party than any other is definetly Education. "No Child Left Behind" is the worst program that has past since i don't know when. I am a son of an educator and I find it offensive that the government believes that they know better than the teachers. There are a lot of teachers and educators that should never have been given the priviledge to teach our youth, but whose fault is that... our own. We live in a society that will throw millions of dollars at a no talent actress like Lidnsey Lohan but can't see to pay teachers a decent wage. I personally had 2 teachers that made education not only fun but relivant... one was a history teacher that made American History not only interesting but made me look at todays world in relation to that of the past. If you don't know your history then you are bound to repeat it.
I've been watching the election just like everyone else, but I do have to admit I have a slightly scewed perspective on it. I am an Alaskan, born bred and proud of it. My first thought of Gov. Palin is that she is hot, and she is. No doubt the best looking canidate that has ever hit either ticket (some women from the Kennedy Era may argue that point). Also she is inexperienced in international relationships. I have heard all the chatter about how she would be a flop as a VP. She may not have much of a relationship with other countries but who is better to deal with the corporations. Corporations are now more powerful than most countries, BP, Conico-Philips, Exxon. These are some of the most powerful companies in the world... all oil... alll powerful. And Palin has stood up to them, they tried to pressure Alaska into relationships that would benifit them much more than they would help the citizens, but Palin made her stand. What she demanded of them was too much to swallow... but those talks persist and we will see what becomes of them.
I won't lie, I was born in a state that is fiercly independent. We have had a secession party for almost thirty years. We even had a Govenor that was elected on the secessionist ticket. Were they or are we un-patiotic, I think not. Our county was founded on a Rebellion, and Alaska has one of the higher percentiles of Armed forces in the US, we love the military. But we also love not having others tell us what to do. If that ain't American I don't know what is!
McCain/Palin or Obama/Binden either way I think we could do better. The Republicans offer more or less the same... the Democrats offer change but change to what they don't specify. Personally I like a lot of what Obama says, change is what we need but I hear no change on how he plans on implimenting this change. More or less I hear a catch phrase, and all I can think is that the change he is calling for is coming out of my own pocket.

Welcome!

I was born and bred in Indiana, lived in Wisconsin for a while and now California where I am raising my kids. I'd love to come up to Alaska and see the bears and salmon runs and northern lights and glaciers.

Ya Palin is hot, but I won't be voting for McCain Palin. I think he has bent to the will of the far right of the party, and I think she does not value science. So I'll be voting for the democrats this time around.

Again, welcome!

The one issue I am more closely tied to the Democratic party than any other is definitley Education. "No Child Left Behind" is the worst program that has past since I don't know when. I am a son of an educator and I find it offensive that the government believes that they know better than the teachers. There are a lot of teachers and educators that should never have been given the privilege to teach our youth, but whose fault is that... our own. We live in a society that will throw millions of dollars at a no talent actress like Lidnsey Lohan but can't see to pay teachers a decent wage. I personally had 2 teachers that made education not only fun but relevant... one was a history teacher that made American History not only interesting but made me look at todays world in relation to that of the past. If you don't know your history then you are bound to repeat it.

Exactly!

And welcome! :)

Forum List

Back