Agreeing with the Other Side

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
So, USMB, since its inception, has seen a lotta Bush-bashing and Obama-Bashing, lots of GOP-bashing and Democrat-bashing, conservative and liberal bashing, Christian and non-Christian bashing.

But, what has the other side done that you support?

For liberals, what did Bush, the GOP, the Tea Party, or conservatives do that you agree with?

For conservatives, the same but with Obama, Democrats, the Green Party, or liberals?

For Christians, what do you feel is good about atheism, agnosticism, Islam, etc.

For non-Christians, what do you feel is good about Christianity?

Here are some examples that I have found that I feel fit this subject from my perspective as relating to former President Bush:

On December 19, 2002, Bush signed into law H. R. 4664, far-reaching legislation to put the National Science Foundation (NSF) on a track to double its budget over five years and to create new mathematics and science education initiatives at both the pre-college and undergraduate level.[9] In the first three years of those five, the R&D budget has increased by fourteen percent.

Bush showed support for oceanography and space exploration; and supported sciences on reducting pollution.

In December 2003, Bush signed legislation implementing key provisions of his Healthy Forests Initiative.

Bush signed the Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2002 authorizing the federal government to begin cleaning up pollution and contaminated sediment in the Great Lakes, as well as the Brownfields Legislation in 2002, accelerating the cleanup of abandoned industrial sites, or brownfields, to better protect public health, create jobs, and revitalize communities.

The Clear Skies Act of 2003
Initially announced by President Bush in 2002,[36] the Clear Skies Initiative was aimed at amending the Clean Air Act to further reduce air pollution and expanded the emissions trading programs to include new pollutants such as mercury. The goal of the initiative was to reduce the sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and mercury emissions of power plants over the course of 15 years, while saving consumers millions of dollars.[36]

Among other things, the Clear Skies Act states that it would[37][38][39]:

Cut mercury emissions by 69 percent, - the first-ever national cap on mercury emissions. Emissions will be cut from current emissions of 48 tons to a cap of 26 tons in 2010, and 15 tons in 2018.
Cut emissions of nitrogen oxide (NOx) by 67 percent, from emissions of 5 million tons to a cap of 2.1 million tons in 2008, and to 1.7 million tons in 2018
Cut sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions by 73 percent, from emissions of 11 million tons to a cap of 4.5 million tons in 2010, and 3 million tons in 2018.
Emission caps will be set to account for different air quality needs in the East and the West.
Section 483 of the Bill exempt some older building from many of the provisions of the Bill, but must still meet carbon monoxide standards.

On June 15, 2006, Bush created the seventy-fifth, and largest, National Monument in U.S. history and the largest Marine Protected Area in the world with the formation of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands National Monument.[82]

The above are from Wikipedia.

There are a lot of things I think are great about Christian philosophy as put forth in the Bible:

"Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns. Pay him his wages each day before sunset, because he is poor and is counting on it. Otherwise he may cry to the LORD against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

"Do not deprive the alien or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you from there. That is why I command you to do this.

"When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this. " Deuteronomy 24 v 14-22

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12 v 17-21

“When a foreigner lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The foreigner living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:33-34

You shall love your neighbour as yourself. Matthew 22:39

There are many more, but this is a discussion and not a monologue, so, contribute and discuss!

I thought Bush did a stellar job of reassuring the nation immediately after 9/11.

I love and admire many a christian, who doubtless are lovable in part because they strive to adhere to their faith.

Among many other things, I admire Bush's reflexes at dodging flying shoes. (Seriously!)

I think that Bush did a very good job in the initial aftermath of Sept. 11th, reassuring the country and (I wish this had worked) NOT blaming Islam.

I think that Bush had lofty dreams about travelling to Mars (which I wish Obama shared).

I'm an agnostic, but some of the best, kindest, and most wonderful people I've ever met in my life were devout Christians.

I think Obama is trying to do a good job ala Education that is in semi-covert sppt. for changes to teacher accountability and standards. I say semi-covertly because hes got to hold on to the NEA AFT sppt for campaign for the party etc. Its politics, I don't blame him for playing the game, so hes probably doing as much as the game will let him as to critique and sppting Duncan his Education cab. boss as to their new ed. funding prgm. 'Race to the Top'.

I wish he would come in with both feet as to charter school and voucher funding, but I know thats not going to happen, but hes gone farther than I thought he would,so I give him credit for that.

Last edited:
I think Obama is trying to do a good job ala Education that is in semi-covert sppt. for changes to teacher accountability and standards. I say semi-covertly because hes got to hold on to the NEA AFT sppt for campaign for the party etc. Its politics, I don't blame him for playing the game, so hes probably doing as much as the game will let him as to critique and sppting Duncan his Education cab. boss as o their new ed. funding prgm. 'Race to the Top'.

I wish he would come in with both feet as to charter school and voucher funding, but I know thats not going to happen, but hes gone farther than I thought he would,so I give him credit for that.

What do you think about the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, Obama's first act as POTUS?

Or eliminating pre-existing conditions when it comes to health care coverage?

I think Bush did an admirable job differentiating terrorists from Muslims, rhetorically if not at all in practice, and we could use that from major figures on the right now.

I think until or unless the second amendment is clarified or amended through the legal process outlined in the Constitution, citizens should be able to own and carry guns because you can't pick and choose what you follow in the Constitution.

I think Christianity has a lot of wonderful ideology and calls to help each other. I agree with everything Jesus said in The Sermon on The Mount and in his preachings about helping the poor and downtrodden and generally having a charitable spirit toward your fellow man while excoriating selfishness and the massive accumulation of personal wealth.

I agree with a lot of small-government conservatives and libertarians when it comes to surveillance, drug laws, and excessive intrusions on individual privacy in terms of domestic policy and on offensive foreign wars, invasions, occupations, bombings, and meddling of other countries and general imperialism in terms of foreign policy matters.

Last edited:
Obama is doing an excellent job of reminding everybody why you should never, ever vote for a liberal Democrat.

Bush did a great job of handling the nations grief after 9-11

He also saved millions of lives in Africa which he received no credit for

He also threw the best Presidential first pitch I have ever seen (Obama throws like a girl)

Last edited:
I think Obama is trying to do a good job ala Education that is in semi-covert sppt. for changes to teacher accountability and standards. I say semi-covertly because hes got to hold on to the NEA AFT sppt for campaign for the party etc. Its politics, I don't blame him for playing the game, so hes probably doing as much as the game will let him as to critique and sppting Duncan his Education cab. boss as o their new ed. funding prgm. 'Race to the Top'.

What do you think about the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, Obama's first act as POTUS?

You are referring to Ledbetter? No, I disagree.

Pre-existing? I commend the thought, but there were better ways of doing it and it came in the package that I don't agree with.

I'm sorry, Colorado. If Obama had done anything whatsoever that I could agree with or approve of, I would be the first person to say so, but he really, really hasn't so far. Bill Clinton did a couple of times, but Obama just hasn't.

As for the Democrat Party, nope. While there are certainly many rank-and-file, everyday Democrats that I like very much in my life, as an official group - based on their official platform positions and their national officeholders - I honestly think they're either venal or nuts. On the other hand, I consider the Republican Party, as represented by their national officeholders, to not have a complete pair of testicles among the whole group, so . . .

Liberals tend to be the same for me as Democrats. There are many rank-and-file, everyday liberals that I like very much, and some I even admire and respect (although obviously, I still think they're wrongheaded on certain matters). As an entire group, though, I can't think of anything they do or represent that I can agree with or respect.

Atheists . . . well, most atheists I don't mind. If you simply disbelieve and go on about your business, then I can admire and respect your "live and let live" attitude and respect for the rights of others to believe as they will. Evangelical atheists . . . not a group of people I can even stand to be near, let alone like or respect.

Probably the best I can give you at this point is that I DO understand the underlying desires that drive most people who adhere to the left side of the political spectrum, and I can even respect it, a little.

Sorry, Colorado. I got distracted and forgot to comment on the two things you actually listed in the post I responded to.

I don't agree with either the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act or eliminating pre-existing conditions from healthcare coverage for one simple reason: it absolutely is none of the federal government's business. It's not Obama's place, or Congress's place, or any government entity's place, to micromanage private business that way.

I give Bush a lot of credit for PEPFAR. There is no doubt in my mind there are hundreds of thousands if not milions of people alive who would not have been without the AIDS education and assistance that program provided. I disagree with a lot of what he did, but kudos where they're due.

I think it is to hard with many issues to flat out say you agree with one side or another.

Example. I could say I agree with both sides on Abortion, Because I Believe in the right to an abortion to a point. I would like to see some controls on it. Such as limiting the Number of times a woman can have an abortion, when no clear medical reason exists, and rape and or incest, Or some kid of Massive Birth Defect are not the reason.

So who do I agree with on that issue?

I think Obama did what the GOP itself could not: prompted a serious look at who they are and where they need to be. He has united the party in a way no Republican was able to. I mean, who else could get Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins to vote with the Republicans?

By continuing many of Bush's policies with regard to the war on terror he has continued to keep America safer than otherwise would have been the case.

I think Obama has provided a great example of why my side has better ideas:) I agree with him for doing that.

I don't really have another side.

I just slam whoever is pissing me off the most at the moment. So people think I'm a liberal here whereas on every other board I've been on, other posters think I'm a conservative. Well, except that one really conservative board which banned me because they thought I was a liberal.

So both sides do some good. No one side is inherently bad or always wrong.

Bush did a great job of improving US/Saudi relations

171-1216121412-BushKissingSaudiPrince.jpg

Forum List

Back