Afghanistan. Who are we Fighting There?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
So we drop a big, big bomb over a system of caves supposedly controlled by ISIS. Did we pick the right target? And, who the heck are we really fighting there?

There’s a corrupt central government with little or no real control over most of the country. There are thousands of tribal chieftains and war lords, many making lots of money growing opium poppies. The biggest conservative Muslim group is the Taliban which we and NATO have never been able to wipe out. In addition, the Russians have never truly given up there and Iran hovers just across the border. Pakistan is on the other side with its smoldering relationship with Indian, two nuclear powers with very serious problems.

What the hell are we doing there?

Here’s a very complete listing f the various terrorist groups @ Terrorist Groups - Countries, Attacks, and Victims Enough to make you shake your head.

Instead, Washington has largely pursued a strategy of “buying time,” in the hopes that the Afghan central government would eventually be able to establish a functioning military as well as a political and economic system that could essentially make a deal with and absorb the Taliban, Weinbaum said.

And, if you want more about this mess, go to The U.S. Bombed ISIS In Afghanistan, But The Taliban Are Winning The War

Dropping the ‘mother of all bombs’ doesn’t change the disastrous reality on the ground in Afghanistan @ Dropping the 'mother of all bombs' doesn't change the disastrous reality on the ground in Afghanistan

You know, I was against this at first because I thought it was just a publicity stunt for Trump to use to change the conversation.

However.................there were over 90 ISIL fighters killed, and they managed to collapse a large section of the tunnel system.

And, thinking it over, if we had dropped a whole bunch of 500 to 1000 lb bombs on there, the shockwaves of those bombs would probably not have been large enough to collapse the tunnels. The shockwave of the MOAB was.

Even though I thought it was a bad move at first, the results are kinda encouraging.

I wonder if Jr. would have used a MOAB on the Taliban when we first started going after OBL, could he have ended the war? One of the problems we had at first with OBL was his tunnel systems that we couldn't shut down.

Forum List

Back