Adelson bought largest Nevada's Paper for many reasons besides Politics

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
I guess. Of course he will put his spin on it and make Israel smell sweet, Iran a terrorist county, and his pick for President will be glowing I assume. Side note, he will win his court case. It pays to have money I guess.

Judge in Adelson lawsuit subject to unusual scrutiny amid Review-Journal sale

· By James DeHaven, Jennifer Robison and Eric Hartley © 2015 Las Vegas Review-Journal

· Dec 19 2015 - 1:04am

• 134 Comments

Just over a month before Sheldon Adelson's family was revealed as the new owner of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, three reporters at the newspaper received an unusual assignment passed down from the newspaper's corporate management: Drop everything and spend two weeks monitoring all activity of three Clark County judges.

The reason for the assignment and its unprecedented nature was never explained.

One of the three judges observed was District Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez, whose current caseload includes Jacobs v. Sands, a long-running wrongful termination lawsuit filed against Adelson and his company, Las Vegas Sands Corp., by Steven Jacobs, who ran Sands' operations in Macau.

The case has attracted global media attention because of Jacobs' contention in court filings that he was fired for trying to break the company's links to Chinese organized crime triads, and allegations that Adelson turned a blind eye to prostitution and other illegal activities in his resorts there.

In May the billionaire and the judge clashed when Adelson took the witness stand but refused to answer a routine question.

"Sir, you need to answer the question," Gonzalez told him.

When Adelson argued, Gonzalez told him, "Sir, you don't get to argue with me. You understand that?"

It was not the first contentious exchange between Adelson's team and the judge. Gonzalez fined Sands and its Chinese subsidiary $25,000 in 2012 after finding their attorneys had tried to deceive the court, and this year she fined Sands China $250,000 for withholding documents.

Last year, attorney Michael D. Davidson told the Review-Journal an Adelson representative offered to "significantly and financially" support a campaign to unseat Gonzalez. An Adelson spokesman declined comment at the time. Davidson said he declined the offer.

How the judges, and Gonzalez in particular, came under scrutiny this year just as GateHouse Media was quietly finalizing the newspaper's sale and an ongoing management contract with Adelson's family remains unclear.

Judge in Adelson lawsuit subject to unusual scrutiny amid Review-Journal sale

Forum List

Back