About Praying

I remember my early years in the church. We were there three times a week and on Wednesday evenings the prayer lists were a foot and a half long. Every family had a member, a friend or knew someone who was dying from heart disease or cancer. Usually the first heart attack took a person out but those who survived it lasted another year or two as an invalid, weak and depressed.

Cancer patients had one choice...surgery. After the procedure the tumor usually
metastici ed and the cancer spread. That's all there was. Many closed casket services were held because the deceased was nothing more than a skin covered skeleton. One big foreman I had on the job lost down from 210 pounds to less than 100 pounds.

People prayed till their knees were bloody and the objects of their prayers suffered and died anyway. There's no telling how many hundreds of billions of prayers were actually documented during the 40's and 50's.

Now with sophisticated electronic diagnostic systems, diet control, stents, bypasses, pacemakers, stem cells, radiation, chemo etc. the same kind of patients live into their 80's and often their 90's. Either ol' Gawd wasn't listening or he does not give a phiddler's phuck.

Was this back in the stone age?

I remember my early years in the church. We were there three times a week and on Wednesday evenings the prayer lists were a foot and a half long. Every family had a member, a friend or knew someone who was dying from heart disease or cancer. Usually the first heart attack took a person out but those who survived it lasted another year or two as an invalid, weak and depressed.

metastici ed and the cancer spread. That's all there was. Many closed casket services were held because the deceased was nothing more than a skin covered skeleton. One big foreman I had on the job lost down from 210 pounds to less than 100 pounds.

People prayed till their knees were bloody and the objects of their prayers suffered and died anyway. There's no telling how many hundreds of billions of prayers were actually documented during the 40's and 50's.

Now with sophisticated electronic diagnostic systems, diet control, stents, bypasses, pacemakers, stem cells, radiation, chemo etc. the same kind of patients live into their 80's and often their 90's. Either ol' Gawd wasn't listening or he does not give a phiddler's phuck.

I don't think you personally knew who all those prayers were for, or the outcome. I often pray for people and don't know the outcome. I'll tell you one thing, I lost a friend on the operating table when she was having open heart surgery. I didn't put her on a prayer list. My friends grandmother had open heart surgery and they made a mistake, they had to go in again the same day, I put her on 3 prayers lists and she survived and is healthy today, years later.

Think about it, all those people you supposedly prayed for, what harm did it do you?

Prayer may or may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt. This is just another anti religious thread by someone who supposedly doesn't believe. I've got news for you...if you really didn't believe, you wouldn't bring it up so often and it wouldn't bother you at all.

My gawd, you're boring with your drivel. Can't ya come up with another line of thought? :eusa_wall:

I was VERY specific when filling out the hospital forms for religion.... big black sharpie marker from my purse..... SEND NO ONE!

Im coming out of it....open my eyes...and there is the priest ready to condole with me...... nice clear voice...i was amazed i could muster it....

GET OUT

fuck god and prayers.... ill take my chanced with the surgeons.

A priest visited me in the hosptial too, though I'm not Catholic. We had a nice talk, and not about religion. Sometimes they just want to make you feel better and sometimes people need company.

A lot of surgeons and nurses are religious.

I was VERY specific when filling out the hospital forms for religion.... big black sharpie marker from my purse..... SEND NO ONE!

Im coming out of it....open my eyes...and there is the priest ready to condole with me...... nice clear voice...i was amazed i could muster it....

GET OUT

A priest visited me in the hosptial too, though I'm not Catholic. We had a nice talk, and not about religion. Sometimes they just want to make you feel better and sometimes people need company.

In the southern United States nearly everybody is religious.

Check the states with the lowest average income and lowest rating on education.....there's where the massive bible thumping comes from. One thing though....every one of their closets has a gun in it. "Either Believe In Jesus Or I'll Blow Yer Head Off!"

Last edited:

GET OUT

Check the states with the lowest average income and lowest rating on education.....there's where the massive bible thumping comes from. One thing though....every one of their closets has a gun in it. "Either Believe In Jesus Or I'll Blow Yer Head Off!"

My father was from the south and he was religious and he had guns and he was career Air Force and after he retired from the Air Force he got his master's and became a CPA and later, he became a college professor. And your quote is way off base...it's "turn the other cheek and when they hit that one too, then blow them away."

Do you really know anything about the south?

My father was from the south and he was religious and he had guns and he was career Air Force and after he retired from the Air Force he got his master's and became a CPA and later, he became a college professor. And your quote is way off base...it's "turn the other cheek and when they hit that one too, then blow them away."

Nah....came off a west Tennessee dirt farm and moved to east Tennessee when I was fourteen and have lived here for most of 63 years. I took infantry basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC and advanced AAA training at Ft. Bliss, TX...El Paso. Spent about a year and a half doing M-48 tank duty at Ft. Stewart, GA. My son is in charge of software architecture for a large financial contractor in the Atlanta area and we visit there pretty often. My wife and I were in Daytona Beach during Speed Weeks seventeen consecutive years from the late 1970's to the mid 1990's and half of those times went on to the Keys and went charter boat fishing. Don't know much about the south at all.

Last edited:
The essence of your thread is why God allows bad things to happen, despite prayers and living a good life. While I know no more than the next person, I think possibly he expects us to fix our own problems. We have the intelligence and ingenuity, we just wasting it on wars, greed, selfishness, whatever. Don't know about God, but I sometimes wonder why we're screwing around on stupid inconsequential stuff instead of what's really important - improving the human condition for everybody.

You think....why would he possibly instruct George W. Bush to invade a soverien nation 10,000 miles away which had done us no harm and cause over 4000 young Amricans and over 150,000 innocent Iraqis to be killed. Bush lied like a goddamed dog and started that bullschit just to avenge the assassination attempt by Saddam Hussein on his Father. Texas justice doesn't come cheap.

What makes you think God instructed Bush to do anything? You have a lot of hate in you; you would do well to find a way to divest yourself of it. Good luck.

Bush: God Told Me to Invade Iraq

President 'revealed reasons for war in private meeting'
by Rupert Cornwell

President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.

The President made the assertion during his first meeting with Palestinian leaders in June 2003, according to a BBC series which will be broadcast this month.

The revelation comes after Mr Bush launched an impassioned attack yesterday in Washington on Islamic militants, likening their ideology to that of Communism, and accusing them of seeking to "enslave whole nations" and set up a radical Islamic empire "that spans from Spain to Indonesia". In the programmeElusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs, which starts on Monday, the former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath says Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

And "now again", Mr Bush is quoted as telling the two, "I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

Mr Abbas remembers how the US President told him he had a "moral and religious obligation" to act. The White House has refused to comment on what it terms a private conversation. But the BBC account is anything but implausible, given how throughout his presidency Mr Bush, a born-again Christian, has never hidden the importance of his faith

You think....why would he possibly instruct George W. Bush to invade a soverien nation 10,000 miles away which had done us no harm and cause over 4000 young Amricans and over 150,000 innocent Iraqis to be killed. Bush lied like a goddamed dog and started that bullschit just to avenge the assassination attempt by Saddam Hussein on his Father. Texas justice doesn't come cheap.

What makes you think God instructed Bush to do anything? You have a lot of hate in you; you would do well to find a way to divest yourself of it. Good luck.

Bush: God Told Me to Invade Iraq

President 'revealed reasons for war in private meeting'
by Rupert Cornwell

President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.

The President made the assertion during his first meeting with Palestinian leaders in June 2003, according to a BBC series which will be broadcast this month.

The revelation comes after Mr Bush launched an impassioned attack yesterday in Washington on Islamic militants, likening their ideology to that of Communism, and accusing them of seeking to "enslave whole nations" and set up a radical Islamic empire "that spans from Spain to Indonesia". In the programmeElusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs, which starts on Monday, the former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath says Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

And "now again", Mr Bush is quoted as telling the two, "I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

Mr Abbas remembers how the US President told him he had a "moral and religious obligation" to act. The White House has refused to comment on what it terms a private conversation. But the BBC account is anything but implausible, given how throughout his presidency Mr Bush, a born-again Christian, has never hidden the importance of his faith

So you are going to accept as fact an assertion with no actual evidence by a Palestinian politician, reported on a Progressive website? Looks to me like you have tried to put a political attack on Bush into a forum on religion, disguised as a thread about praying. You get points for being creative, but lose 'em for being intellectually dishonest.

Prayers are answered all the time. I'd be lying to say otherwise. I've been healed by God. It's unlike anything else I've experienced before or since.

I had a prayer answered immediately two days ago.

Prayers are answered. But those without faith never see, because you will not recieve a witness until after the trial of your faith.

Praying is not only about asking for a miracle, it can be for giving thanks, or asking forgiveness, or maybe asking for good luck in the future. You may not believe in the existence of God or in the positive benefits of prayer, but many do.

Nah....came off a west Tennessee dirt farm and moved to east Tennessee when I was fourteen and have lived here for most of 63 years. I took infantry basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC and advanced AAA training at Ft. Bliss, TX...El Paso. Spent about a year and a half doing M-48 tank duty at Ft. Stewart, GA. My son is in charge of software architecture for a large financial contractor in the Atlanta area and we visit there pretty often. My wife and I were in Daytona Beach during Speed Weeks seventeen consecutive years from the late 1970's to the mid 1990's and half of those times went on to the Keys and went charter boat fishing. Don't know much about the south at all.

Then where did you get that "believe in Jesus or I'll blow your head of" crap? You just made it up to try and make the south look stupid, didn't you?

The essence of your thread is why God allows bad things to happen, despite prayers and living a good life. While I know no more than the next person, I think possibly he expects us to fix our own problems. We have the intelligence and ingenuity, we just wasting it on wars, greed, selfishness, whatever. Don't know about God, but I sometimes wonder why we're screwing around on stupid inconsequential stuff instead of what's really important - improving the human condition for everybody.

there is always a reason for everything. Maybe God did tell Bush to invade, but the reason may be something that we never even thought of or knew about....but God did. There are tons of things that happen that we will never understand until the day we stand in front of God when we die! It doesn't mean we have to like everything that happens, but we don't have the answers, only God does.

Praying is not only about asking for a miracle, it can be for giving thanks, or asking forgiveness, or maybe asking for good luck in the future. You may not believe in the existence of God or in the positive benefits of prayer, but many do.

I strongly believe in Miracles...i've seen a few and it's awesome!!!

And by the way.....The LIONS ARE GOING TO KICK SOME BUTT TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I strongly believe in Miracles...i've seen a few and it's awesome!!!

And by the way.....The LIONS ARE GOING TO KICK SOME BUTT TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

LOL, now that would be a minor miracle!

Yeah yeah...why don't you pray for the billion who are starving, by default mostly children and get them fed and well. Why don't you ever hear about a psychic or someone who prays for it winning the powerball lottery. The fact of the matter is that god is in one's mind and that's the only place it is.

Ancient god worship is bullshit and this country is more hung up on it than any of the other industriali ed nations. Each new generation is brainwashed by the previous one. That is the only reason it continues to hang on. If a loving and caring god dropped off the only keys to the kingdom to ignorant primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat and has never shown up again he has one helluva sense of humor.

Last edited:

Yeah yeah...why don't you pray for the billion who are starving, by default mostly children and get them fed and well. Why don't you ever hear about a psychic or someone who prays for it winning the powerball lottery. The fact of the matter is that god is in one's mind and that's the only place it is.

Ancient god worship is bullshit and this country is more hung up on it than any of the other industriali ed nations. Each new generation is brainwashed by the previous one. That is the only reason it continues to hang on. If a loving and caring god dropped off the only keys to the kingdom to ignorant primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat and never has shown up again he has one helluva sense of humor.

Lotaa hate in you man, I hope you don't let it mess up your life. Live and let live is just too hard for you I guess.

Campbell... Why does a person's personal beliefs bother you so much? Yes, I agree... this country allows religion to dictate policy way too much.

That's why I started the thread "why the hate?". It makes no sense for the Religious to damn the non-believer, and it makes no sense for the non-believer to damn the religious. We're all human beings, we are all in the same boat... the best course is for all of us to work together, and the best way to do that is to lead by example.... it surely isn't the quickest way, but it is the best. The quickest way is to dictate a religion, or ban religion all together... but is that the best? Heck no.

Ancient god worship is bullshit and this country is more hung up on it than any of the other industriali ed nations. Each new generation is brainwashed by the previous one. That is the only reason it continues to hang on. If a loving and caring god dropped off the only keys to the kingdom to ignorant primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat and never has shown up again he has one helluva sense of humor.

Lotaa hate in you man, I hope you don't let it mess up your life. Live and let live is just too hard for you I guess.

Why don't you people ever defend the origin of all religions coming from ignorant people who had a developing imagination. Why don't you ever defend your believing in virgin birth, healing by touching, walking on water, bleeding a man like a hog and then his rising two days later fit as a fiddle. What about a flat earth.

Hell....those stone age people didn't even know a cloud was mist...they thought it was something solid that a person might ride on. What about the heavens...they had no clue that up changed 360 degrees every 24 hours...that 12 hours from the time one spot was up it changed to down. They were totally ignorant and had no business of all things describing a god which was just like them...jealous, egotistical, vendictive and murdurous. Man created god in his image and not the other way round. The ignorant of the stone age still leading the brainwashed and naive of today.

The Jews wrote it and they don't even believe it.

4654109256_2d0a87008b.jpg

Still doesn't have a damn thing about answered prayers. My post proves that if there is a god out there he really doesn't give a phuck.

Can I still say a prayer for you every once in a while? :D

(Bc I do my friend)

Forum List

Back