A Woman Ahead Of Her Time...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Zora Neale Hurston, (born January 7, 1891, Notasulga, Alabama, U.S.—died January 28, 1960, Fort Pierce, Florida), American folklorist and writer associated with the Harlem Renaissance who celebrated the African American culture of the rural South.

Zora Neale Hurston, acclaimed writer of the of the Harlem Renaissance,was maligned by many black leaders for writing in the colloquial voice of the black, rural townspeople she grew up with in Eatonville, Florida. But it was her unique childhood in an all-black town that shaped her ideas, which defied the focus on racial “uplift” popular among figures such as W.E.B. Du Bois.
Watch: Zora Neale Hurston was criticized for writing in the ‘black voice.’

images

Zora Neale Hurston was right, “All your skin folks ain’t your kin folks. And all your color ain’t your kind!” Hurston was a Republican who was generally sympathetic to the Old Right and a fan of Booker T. Washington's self-help politics. She disagreed with the philosophies (including Communism and the New Deal) supported by many of her colleagues in the Harlem Renaissance.

Black playwrite Zora Neale Hurston: “Throughout the New Deal era the relief program was the biggest weapon ever placed in the hands of those who sought power and votes…Dependent upon government for their daily bread, men gradually relaxed their watchfulness and submitted to the will of the “Little White Father,”… WORLD | History turned right side up | Marvin Olasky | Feb. 13, 2010

It appears that Trump is turning a lot more black folks to Hurston's views.

Happy Birthday, Zora.

Oh, Lordy, more "oh, the poor blacks" stuff. No more!

And this one long dead. I don't see how she can have a happy birthday under those circumstances.

She does seem to have been a natural rapper --- must be something in the genetics. "All your skin folks ain't your kin folks" is pretty good.

Oh, Lordy, more "oh, the poor blacks" stuff. No more!

And this one long dead. I don't see how she can have a happy birthday under those circumstances.

She does seem to have been a natural rapper --- must be something in the genetics. "All your skin folks ain't your kin folks" is pretty good.

This is where I, as, I am certain, so very many others who have had to suffer under your.....dementia.....have reminded you to focus like a laser.

You wrote:
"Oh, Lordy, more "oh, the poor blacks" stuff. No more!"

Please document how you found that to be the message of the OP.

Or, don't.

Zora Neale Hurston was right, “All your skin folks ain’t your kin folks. And all your color ain’t your kind!” Hurston was a Republican who was generally sympathetic to the Old Right and a fan of Booker T. Washington's self-help politics. She disagreed with the philosophies (including Communism and the New Deal) supported by many of her colleagues in the Harlem Renaissance. Happy Birthday, Zora.

I admire Hurston for being a fan of Booker T. Washington and for realizing the threats posed by the New Deal. I think Booker T. Washington would have been a better person after whom to name a holiday than Martin Luther King.

Hurston recognized that the New Deal was causing blacks to become too dependent on the government and that it was giving the government too much power.

Forum List

Back