A way you can censor free speech

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I just kind of thought of a way that we can censor speech. Everyone hates racism so what we can do is to link anything our opponent says to racism and since we have so many 'safe zones' from offensive speech everything our opponent says will be silenced. Isn't it kind of diabolical. I don't know what kind of person would come up with this but perhaps it is the kind that really doesn't believe that people should be able to speak and say what is on their minds. I don't know if these people would be considered 'liberal' or 'conservative'. It is a mystery to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

It really is a shame that such an important word has been so terribly overused by people trying to leverage it for political advantage.

It should be a word that is used cautiously and seriously and soberly, not one that is tossed around at the first excuse.

The word has been trivialized and diluted, and all that does is slow down the progress needed to rid the country of REAL racism.

Maybe that's the strategy.

• Banned
It really is a shame that such an important word has been so terribly overused by people trying to leverage it for political advantage.

It should be a word that is used cautiously and seriously and soberly, not one that is tossed around at the first excuse.

The word has been trivialized and diluted, and all that does is slow down the progress needed to rid the country of REAL racism.

Maybe that's the strategy.

It is a shame that their are people who have thought of this strategy and continue to use it at every turn simply because we can't conceive of people who may actually want to find ways to censor political speech.

I just kind of thought of a way that we can censor speech. Everyone hates racism so what we can do is to link anything our opponent says to racism and since we have so many 'safe zones' from offensive speech everything our opponent says will be silenced. Isn't it kind of diabolical. I don't know what kind of person would come up with this but perhaps it is the kind that really doesn't believe that people should be able to speak and say what is on their minds. I don't know if these people would be considered 'liberal' or 'conservative'. It is a mystery to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
Just that this is ridiculous and ignorant.

The doctrine of free speech concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons, where government isn't seeking to "censor" anyone's speech, and hate speech is entitled to First Amendment protections.

• Banned
Just that this is ridiculous and ignorant.

The doctrine of free speech concerns solely the relationship between government and those governed, not between or among private persons, where government isn't seeking to "censor" anyone's speech, and hate speech is entitled to First Amendment protections.

The courts haven't shown that they are that passionate about defending this in the way you seem to think and we can easily bypass this kind of censorship by using a lot of social pressure on people. For example, place a sign that says 'safe zone' and someone may not say what they want because they fear being punished for it socially. They may fear security may not realize that it isn't against any particular rule to say what they want to say and being punished by an ignorant official in charge. It does have an affect on people's free speech because we know that 'liberals' who may be in charge may not tolerate some guy speaking out against Obama.

Forum List

Back