A Town Called Malice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diuretic, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I would have put this in the "Australia" forum....but we don't have one :eusa_whistle:

This is a crying shame. Alice Springs - according to Neville Shute, "A Town Called Alice" - is an icon in this country. It's the service centre for tourism in central Australia (think Uluru/Ayers Rock which is actually a few hours drive west of Alice Springs) and as the article points out, it's right on the backpacker route.

Now, to spin off from Paul Weller, it's "A Town Called Malice."

More at the link.

Down like Alice the meltdown of a tourism mecca | The Australian

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,926
    this really bad news....i had always hoped to visit there and ayers rock..sorry cant do the albo names...too old to rename all the shit....i have always imagined it to be a beautiful country....one of my favorite movies was about the two albo girls who ran away and followed the fence home...and who wouldnt wanna see them big ass cane toads ...

also that odd movie..picnic at hanging rock...did they ever find any evidence of the two girls and teacher?

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Rabbit Proof Fence was the film of the aboriginal girls who ran away from the mission and went home, great film. Hanging Rock was really just fiction - there is a place in western Victoria called Hanging Rock but there was no disappearance. We lost a Prime Minister though, that was a real one, went swimming off a beach in Victoria and was never seen again. The hottest and most stupid rumour at the time was that he was taken aboard a Chinese submarine......

Cane toads - they're dangerous and a pest and they're on the move up in the tropical north, bloody things can stay there as far as I'm concerned.

That part - central Australia - is really astounding. You really can see the changing colours on the Rock, it's beautiful, and there are a lot of other things to see out there as well.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCMhW92GYUc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zCMhW92GYUc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

4. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    What a great film.