A Thread for Buddhists

Rogo

Choose to choose
Mar 23, 2011
Sky Dancer brought up the idea of making a thread solely dedicated to discussing Buddhism. So, I decided to make one. Note: this thread is specifically made for Buddhists and those with an interest in Buddhism (please don't come here to stir up trouble).

Since this is a Buddhist thread, I suggest to everyone to try to adhere to Buddhist principles (i.e. no patronizing or antagonizing). I hope participants of this thread will converse with one another in an intelligent, calm, and mature manner. This is all I ask.

If you are interested in Buddhism, then feel free to ask questions. :)

Sky Dancer brought up the idea of making a thread solely dedicated to discussing Buddhism. So, I decided to make one. Note: this thread is specifically made for Buddhists and those with an interest in Buddhism (please don't come here to stir up trouble).

Since this is a Buddhist thread, I suggest to everyone to try to adhere to Buddhist principles (i.e. no patronizing or antagonizing). I hope participants of this thread will converse with one another in an intelligent, calm, and mature manner. This is all I ask.

If you are interested in Buddhism, then feel free to ask questions. :)

Bull meets red rag. :eusa_angel:

Hi and I hope Sky is still on here.
I have a favorite photo I wanted to post for Sky.

My question is for any denomination of Buddhism.

I would like to research and form a consensus on the end stages Buddha taught in the path to enlightenment of ALL people as Buddhas. I have heard many versions of the last Buddha who is supposed to come and enlighten all the other Buddhas.

Here are some variations:
1. My mother explained it as the Maitreya Buddha who is supposed to be a special "one-returner" who comes onces, then returns only one more time to finish. Gautama Buddha had many incarnations previously but when he came as Buddha that was his last because he reached perfection and would not return to earth. This last Maitreya Buddha is supposed to have only two incarnations, so many people theorize this could be Jesus.
2. I also read that the Maitreya Buddha was "triune" or "three mothers" and this makes me think it has something to do with the Trinity in all religions, coming to fruition, where the fulfillment of this Trinity will fulfill all faiths and bring them all together.
3. A friend who studies a Japanese Buddhist sect, which is very religious and not like the free form American Buddhism, says that Maitreya was a disciple of Buddha and has already returned and fulfilled his mission, and has nothing to do with the end times prophesied in the Bible that are a different lineage.
4. I was told the Diamond Way Buddhists recognize Jesus, and also there are fringe sects such as in Vietnam that mix Christian with Buddhist theology on levels of heaven, etc. (which is not the same as what I believe, that the spirit of truth and justice which is established by consensus in Jesus Christ between all tribes worldwide fulfills all paths as they are, not creating any new ones but applying and completing those already existing).

I run into Buddhists who believe the final enlightenment is thousands of years from now, similar to Christians who believe that Judgment Day and Salvation is beyond this lifetime.
I myself am one of the Buddhists/Christians who believe the Kingdom of God and peace on earth is achieved in this lifetime by each person going through the same spiritual changes as in enlightenment (liberation of the mind) and in salvation (liberation of the heart/spirit).
I believe the "spirit of truth" which returns with the "second coming of Christ" is the
establishing of universal truth/wisdom that Buddhism leads to; there will be consensus formed between people of both the divine law path and the natural law/secular path.
So I believe this fulfillment will meet the prophesies and teachings in both Christianity and Buddhism, and this is what it means in the Bible for all the tribes to become on in Christ.

Does anyone have any references, research or links into the Buddha's teachings or vision of the last Buddha, the Maitreya, or the final stages where all of humanity becomes enlightened?

The links I found on this I was later told were fabricated, by evangelists in Thailand who Christianized paraphrases of concepts from Buddhism to bring followers into Christianity (similar to reinventing pagan seasonal traditions to attach Christian themes and celebrations). So I was told not to trust these sources. But everyone I ask about this to only cites word of mouth ideas that I have never seen substantiated by any texts.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• $buddha pears.jpg
    $buddha pears.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 58
I cannot help you since I do not believe in rebirth, an afterlife, or any sort of divinity pertaining to Gautama Buddha (let alone divinity in anything). Sorry. I'm sure Sky Dancer can help, though. He or she is very knowledgeable in several sects of Buddhism.

Forum List

Back