A Thought for Atheists

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by IndependntLogic, Sep 27, 2011.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Atheists often post that they are persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or even hated by others. Have you ever considered that you might be largely responsible for this? Do you think most atheists assuage the problem or fan those flames of distrust and hatred?

Think of whatever ideal you hold most dear. Let's say it's love. So if I put up websites, posters, books whatever saying "Love is like a spaghetti monster. The only people who believe in it are self-deluded, ignorant assh0les!"? How would you feel about me if you were someone who believed in love?
    What if posts from the anti-lovers all reflected that same hostility? I mean, they couldn't just go about their lives but rather put in great effort to prove that something you value, is valueless. How would you feel about such a group? I think many atheists have exacerbated the problem they complain about.

I personally don't think it's any of my business what you believe or don't believe. And while you complain about how religion effects some of our policies, guess what? So does atheism. Do children pray in school anymore? Nope. Federal policy. how about an employer who puts crosses and religious articles arond the office? Subject to lawsuits? You bet. It goes both ways.
    So if you want people to have more of a "I don't care what others believe" kind of attitude, why don't you?
    Why aren't you admonishing atheists who antagonize people of faith? They whine about people not liking them, and then go out of their way to attack something they know is important to others. That's like spitting on people, telling them they're idiots... and then playing victim because "no one likes me!".

How many times have you told a fellow atheists on this board, that they should never attack someone because of their religious beliefs? After all, that's how you want OTHERS to treat you, right? Or is it only everyone else who should respect religious beliefs / lack thereof?

Just a thought.

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You cannot possibly be this stupid.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I am flattered that you make sure to respond to all my posts. Obviously, I have had an effect on you! That's sweet.

You may now conintue your usual hostility, petty insults etc... it's kinda cute. :lol:

4. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    1.) Most describe me as an atheist, I'm not persecuted, oppressed, distrusted or hated.
    2.) If someone thinks being an atheist is a stupid thing to be, so be it, I think religions are stupid, and the ppl I love most in the world belong to a religion.
    3.) Belief a god(s) or no belief in any god isn't kept completley private, by either side, nor should it be.
    4.) Atheists are constantly attacked by religious people, being labeled as hellbound heathens essentially, and atheists attack religious views, so this happens on both sides. However saying you know someone is going to sent to hell for all eternity and face infinite torture is the worse insult and attack I think any human can provide.

Lots of silly generalizations and victim talk in there.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,199
    I think it's foolish to lump athiests in one big group and pretend as if they are all the same. There are no shared values between athiests, just a shared belief that there is no God.

There are some who have a persecution complex, but Ive found many who are just like everyone else. I've also met athiests who are complete jerks, but then there are Christians and people of other faiths that are exactly the same.

We need to avoid creating divisions among people that don't exist. We need to stop creating boogy-man groups and lumping people in even if that group doesnt really exist, per se. The Gospel is an individual process. And in order to reach people we need to treat them with love and respect as individuals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,731
    Funniest thing I ever heard an Atheist say was "I swear to God that I am an Atheist."

7. Colin

Colin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    :lol: None of your business what others believe or don't believe? Your post indicates otherwise. What would you prefer to be labelled...a self-righteous hypocrite or a bald faced liar?

8. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Just like the generalizations and victim talk of atheists.

I didn't say ALL atheists are anything. I commented on how some atheists (especially among "internet people") go out of their way to fan the flames of division.
    I agree with everything you wrote in 1 - 4, btw. So would you agree that if you just took a look at the posts on this board, you would see that everything you speak of in #4, is no different than what atheists do here?
    My observation is simply that a group of people who claim everyone else should not care what others believe, go out of their way to ridicule & attack those with differing beliefs - then they call those other people hypocrites.

I don't think religion should influence policy or law.
    I also don't think animosity toward it, should.
    There are cases of both.

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    That was sad. I seriously doubt I took the time to respond to you 750 separate times.

10. IndependntLogic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Really? Where do I say anything that deprecates atheism itself? I don't? hmmm.
    Where do I claim that atheists are self-deluded, ignorant, the source of evil etc...? I don't? Hmmm.
    So thank you. You make now continue labeling me.

Hey. Isn't that what atheists complain that others do to them?